Qatar seeks international arbitration to end siege.
Maneesh Bakshi Doha Armed with a recent UN report, Qatar has begun seeking international arbitration to end the unjust blockade imposed on it by some Gulf neighbours. "We have already begun moving internationally to seek arbitration or [go to] international courts or UN institutions to end the blockade," Foreign Ministry Spokesperson HE Lulwah al Khater announced at a press conference in Doha on Wednesday. Earlier this week, an investigation by United Nations' Office of High Commissioner of Human Rights (OHCHR) said the blockade was negatively impacting the people of the region. "This report has conclusive facts that suggest the blockading countries have violated a number of agreements that caused significant financial losses to Qatar, companies and individuals. We can now move forward to claim these damages through arbitration with the help of this report," Khater said. "The report came from a neutral international point of view and has important points," said Khater, adding the report was very important as being the first UN documentation. The blockade, now in its eighth month, had caused material and moral damage to Qataris and amounted to economic warfare."This is economic warfare," she said. page 16
[c] Copyright Qatar Tribune. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Qatar Tribune (Doha, Qatar)|
|Date:||Jan 11, 2018|
|Previous Article:||Ashghal's 17 road projects on fastlane, '30 R/As to turn intersections'.|
|Next Article:||WCM-Q Biomedical Research Training Program for Nationals.|