Printer Friendly

Q. The business next door [...].

Byline: FAHMIDAISMAEL Your legal questions answered

Q. The business next door is extending along the party wall and is proposing to put up scaffolding in our yard. Are they allowed to do this? A. If it's a party wall you own it jointly and it cannot be altered without your consent. Works to a party wall often require a Party Wall Agreement, and the person proposing the works has to meet the costs of the other party. If you give consent, this agreement would include rights of access to put up scaffolding.

If you are likely to be affected by work on the foundations you should receive a notice a month before work starts. An extension built inside their boundary will not come under the legislation relating to party walls, and access is negotiable.
COPYRIGHT 2012 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Birmingham Post (England)
Date:Dec 6, 2012
Previous Article:Q. I am applying for [...].
Next Article:Q. One of our roof [...].

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |