Primo Valentino to remain in training.
Classy sprinter Primo Valentino, a close fourth in last year's July Cup, is back in training with Peter Harris and on course for a crack at some of the top sprint events this year, writes Roy Briggs.
Originally, the intention had been to retire the colt to stud at the end of last season following a disappointing campaign overall. But connections have now decided to give it another go.
Stable spokesman Peter Kerr said: "The owners initially felt that after his run in the Prix de l'Abbaye at Longchamp, when he was never at the races, the best thing would be to send him to stud, and they made inquiries with that in mind.
"But then it was realised that his two worst runs last season were both abroad, so the thinking now is that he might not be a good traveller.
"He came back in early, is cantering quite strongly, and is in good form. There are more races to go for this year-he'll be without the Group 1 penalty he
carried last season for his Middle Park Stakes success-and he's a horse that tends to thrive on racing."
Kerr also had good news of the stable's strong
Lincoln fancy, Kirovski, who is as low as 10-1 favourite with some firms, and dismissed rumours that all was not well with some of the yard's horses following the installation of a new gallop.
He said: "There have never been any real problems and they are working on it as normal. Kirovski is coming along nicely. He's a horse who needs quite a lot of work, and a lot will depend on what happens over the next few weeks. But at the moment he remains on course for Doncaster."
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Racing Post (London, England)|
|Date:||Feb 27, 2001|
|Previous Article:||Gifford conditional Varian joins US yard.|
|Next Article:||Keeneland auctioneer Caldwell dies, aged 72.|