Printer Friendly

Prestatyn lose out... but get a reprieve; WELSH PREMIER.

PRESTATYN breathed a huge sigh of relief following a 1-0 home defeat to Aberystwyth which con-firmed an 11th place finish in the Welsh Premier.

Defeat for Haverfordwest County meant an end to the Bluebirds' promotion hopes from the Welsh League and that saved Prestatyn, with only Afan Lido being relegated from the top flight.

It has been a hugely disappointing campaign for Neil Gibson's side, who only last season lifted the Welsh cup for the first time and Luke Sherbon's late strike condemned them to defeat at Bastion Gardens.

It guaranteed play-off bound Aber a 7th place finish and puts them in good heart for next weekend's Welsh Cup final showdown with champions TNS.

Port Talbot finished on a high note to banish any relegation fears, a 2-1 defeat of Bala Town giving interim manager Jarred Harvey his first victory in four games in charge.

A mistake by Bala's Dave Morley handed possession to Guillem Bauza and the former Swansea City marksman easily slot past Ashley Morris to give the Steelmen a 14th minute lead.

But Bala levelled just before the half hour mark when they worked in Stephen Brown, who was felled by Steven Hall in the area, earning the Talbot 'keeper a yellow card. Brown picked himself up to score from the spot, sending Hall the wrong way.

Inevitably, Rhys Griffiths pounced to score the Steelmen's second half winner, left unmarked in the box to head in his 23rd goal of the season.

Gary O'Toole scored a hat-trick as Gap Connah's Quay also put any relegation worries behind them following an 8-1 thrashing of luckless Afan Lido, to equal their worst-ever Welsh Premier defeat.

Mike Hayes added a brace, with Paul Mooney, Luke Holden and Le Healey completing the Nomads romp. Lido's consolation was scored by 39-year-old Greg Hurley, who was making his first appearance in a top flight game for eight years.

Bangor City put last weekend's record 9-1 hammering at the hands of TNS behind them to claim third place with a 2-0 win over Rhyl thanks to goals in each half from Chris Jones and Les Davies.

But the Citizens must wait for the outcome of Carmarthen's final game to see whether they finish in third or fourth place. The Old Gold's game with The New Saints was postponed due to a flooded Richmond Park pitch.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Wales On Sunday (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Apr 27, 2014
Next Article:Play-offs for Martyrs as Cirencester win.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters