Printer Friendly

Post-op bleed killed woman.

A retired licensee died less than two months after surgery during a holiday abroad, an inquest heard.

Joan Dalton, 60, of Stonegate, Eston, needed surgery to remove her gall bladder on June 21, 2004, three days after arriving on holiday in Ibiza. She returned home on July 12, but was admitted to Middlesbrough's James Cook University Hospital.

Mrs Dalton was allowed home on July 21, but was re-admitted on July 30. She died on August 4.

Teesside Coroner's Court heard she died due to massive gastrointestinal bleeding caused by a rupture in an artery following surgery.

Mrs Dalton, who was licensee at Eston's Whale Hill Social Club until her retirement three years ago, was first admitted to hospital on July 14 after being referred by her GP.

She underwent tests but no major problems or signs of infection were found.

But about a week later she was re-admitted after vomiting and passing blood. She underwent a blood transfusion and emergency surgery involving repairs to seal holes along the artery.

The inquest heard from consultant surgeon Patricia Durning, who said it would be difficult to say whether the holes were the result of the earlier surgery or due to infection which had caused the artery to weaken.

Teesside assistant deputy coroner Anthony Eastwood recorded a verdict that Mrs Dalton died as a result of an accident.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2005 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Mar 5, 2005
Previous Article:Man jailed after child porn raid.
Next Article:Blaze is caught by alarm.

Related Articles
'Altered reports' doc rap.
'Altered reports' doc rap.
Covering Islam begins on op-ed page.
Obese breast cancer survivors 'at increased lymphedema risk'.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters