Printer Friendly

Porch set to be rebuilt by firm after it collapsed.

Byline: KATIE SANDS Reporter katie.sands@walesonline.co.uk

A HOMEOWNER has been told his front porch will be rebuilt after it came crashing down without warning during the early hours of the morning.

Peter Manley, 64, from St Mellons in Cardiff, said his canopy porch over his front door fell at his home on William Belcher Drive during the early hours of the morning at the end of June.

He said it was just hours before his grandson was due to be knocking on the door for a lift to school.

Mr Manley complained to the company which built the home, David Wilson Homes, following the incident, claiming it had been fitted incorrectly when the home was built.

He said the home already had the canopy-style porch over the front door when he moved in, but he wasn't the first occupant of the home.

Mr Manley, who has lived at the address with his wife Louise for nearly five years, said: "The impact made gashes and holes in the Tarmac and front door which has to be replaced below the canopy. Another four hours and my grandson would have been knocking on the door."

In the aftermath of the collapse, David Wilson Homes told Mr Manley he was responsible for the repair work.

But just a month later, the firm has now apologised and told the homeowner that it wishes to carry out repair works as soon as possible.

In a letter, Jo Richardson, head of customer care at David Wilson Homes South West, told Mr Manley: "Due to recent concerns regarding your porch of which has fallen, David Wilson Homes have now had the opportunity to review this issue and have determined necessary remedial works are required, which we would like to complete as soon as possible."

In an email dated August 3, the head of customer care detailed how David Wilson Homes provides a two-year warranty from the date of legal completion, and a further eight-year warranty is provided by the NHBC.

Despite the home being outside of the warranty period, the firm agreed to reinstate or replace the porch "as a gesture of goodwill".

Mr Manley has been told the firm is liaising with a structural engineer to ensure the fitting details they use to reinstate or replace the feature are in line and up-to-date with today's standards and regulations.

The firm also said it wants to carry out work at five neighbouring homes, which have the same design.

The email said: "We are also looking at completing works to neighbouring properties of whom have the same design/ style of porch canopy. As we believe the neighbouring porches still have the tiles instated, we would like to arrange for their removal ASAP, prior to a full remedial solution being completed." Mr Manley, who ran his own business and worked in plumbing and heating for more than 40 years, was relieved a solution was being arranged. He expected work to begin in about a fortnight.

He said: "Everything's on the way. It's good something's been done."

Stephen Doughty MP, Labour and Cooperative MP for Cardiff South and Penarth, had also written to the firm on Mr Manley's behalf to request action.

A spokeswoman for David Wilson Homes said: "While it is difficult to determine the exact cause for the collapse of Mr Manley's porch 18 years after the installation, we are reviewing all porches at the development as a precaution.

"If our team of engineers find any causes for concern we will be fixing or replacing the porches to be sure of future safety and peace of mind."
COPYRIGHT 2017 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2017 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Aug 8, 2017
Words:601
Previous Article:10,000 dentist places on way.
Next Article:Sports store apologises over language notice.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters