Printer Friendly

Policeman pays price for striking boy.


A disgraced police motor-cyclist, who hit a schoolboy on the head with a heavy duty monkey wrench in a row over a chair, was ordered to do work in the community yesterday. Anthony Jones, 37, of Garnant, Ammanford, immediately resigned from the police following his conviction last month for unlawful wounding.

Yesterday his barrister, Geraint Walters, claimed the former Dyfed-Powys police officer had already paid a dear price for his 'moment of madness'.

Judge Keith Thomas, sitting at Swansea Crown Court, accepted Jones had not intended to injure the teenager in a 'ridiculous and dangerous' act.

He sentenced him to 240 hours community service and ordered that he pay pounds 800 towards prosecution costs, representing half the full amount.

During his week-long trial Jones had insisted the incident had been nothing more than 'tomfoolery'.

But a Swansea Crown Court jury took just two-and-a-half hours at the end of last month to reach a unanimous guilty verdict.

They had heard how his victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was taken to hospital with a head wound gushing blood which needed five stitches.

The incident happened last November in the reception of a West Wales garage, used by the police, and where the teenager helped out.

Three other police officers, who all gave evidence at the trial, witnessed the incident.

The teenager had given evidence by video link during the trial and said Jones had arrived at the garage and ordered him out of his chair, by taking off his helmet and then shouting to him, 'Oy, get out of that chair.'

The youngster said the officer wanted his seat as there were no others available.

The teenager said he was sitting next to Dyfed-Powys Police constables Ian Ayres and Dylan Davies who were on duty and in uniform, and off-duty constable David 'Dai' Evans.

He said, 'I didn't listen to him because he didn't ask me tidy.'

But when he refused, Jones had grabbed and twisted the schoolboy's ear and the incident, described by Jones as 'playful pushing and shoving', rapidly escalated. The teenager said, 'He twisted my ear back as far as it would go and pushed me at the same time. My ear was killing me afterwards.'

The schoolboy had admitted picking up the foot-long monkey wrench and tapping Jones on the leg with it, but it had eventually been used on him. The second of two blows to his head, with the handle end of the tool, caused an injury which forced him to flee with tears in his eyes.


told the court last month that the blow was struck 'in a playful way - there was nothing malicious about it'.

Passing sentence Judge Thomas said, 'You were at the time a serving police officer, and on duty. You should have known that you were there to serve people rather than act in the way you did.'
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2005 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:May 27, 2005
Previous Article:Hopes of amicable end to NZ tug-of-love.
Next Article:Tom takes back seat to 'paranoid' Doherty.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters