Platoon tune is a classic choice.
MUSIC featured in war film Platoon is Britain's most popular classical piece, statistics have revealed.
Barber's Adagio For Strings has been broadcast or performed live more than any other classical piece in the past year, say the Performing Right Society.
The second most played track was Bach's Toccata in D Major. The piece, with its famous organ introduction, featured in films, including The Aviator.
In third place was Pachelbel's Canon In D, which is often played at weddings. Barber's piece was played at the funerals of US presidents Franklin Roosevelt and JFK and is still played at funerals.
It also featured in film comedy Kevin And Perry Go Large and has been remixed as a club anthem.
Other tracks in the top 10 have also featured in films, TV programmes and adverts for products including soft cheese Boursin and Kleenex tissues.
A spokesman for the Performing Right Society, who collect royalties for writers and artists said: "These wonderful melodies are often recognised due to TV, advertising and film usage but all stand the test of time because they are powerful and tuneful."
1. Adagio For Strings - Samuel Barber
2. Toccata In D Minor - Johann Bach
3. Canon in D Major - Johann Pachelbel
4. Prelude A L'apres-midi D'un Faune - Claude Debussy
5. The Swan from Carnival Of The Animals - Saint-Saens
6. Clair De Lune - Debussy
7. Thais - Meditation - Jules Massenet
8. Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia - Aram Khachaturian
9. Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini - Sergei Rachmaninov
10. Cavalleria Rusticana - Pietro Mascagni
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)|
|Date:||Sep 12, 2008|
|Previous Article:||SALMOND BACKS MP IN RACE ROW; No action on Nat slur.|
|Next Article:||OLD AGE PEDALLERS; Grannies completed incredible 6000-mile bicycle trip for charity.|