Printer Friendly

Phone hack probe: No more charges; BRIEFLY.

THE long-running inquiry into phone hacking has concluded after prosecutors announced no charges would be brought over remaining allegations.

Former Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan, who was previously interviewed under caution, vowed to get "spectacularly drunk" after being told he will face no further action.

The Crown Prosecution Service concluded there is "insufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of a conviction" in relation to corporate liability at News Group Newspapers, the company that published the now defunct News of the World, for alleged phone hacking.

The same decision was reached in relation to 10 journalists who worked at Mirror Group Newspapers. It signals the end of the CPS's involvement in phone hacking investigations, which were launched in 2011 in the wake of revelations about the practice at the NotW.

Morgan, 50, said on Twitter: "I'm now going to get spectacularly drunk. Happy Christmas."

COPYRIGHT 2015 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Dec 12, 2015
Words:144
Previous Article:Businessman in terror case made training notes for Mujahideen.
Next Article:'BREAKOUT BID' MAN SHOT DEAD; Prison van escape plot claim.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters