Printer Friendly

Pensioner saved by smoke alarm.

An elderly woman's life was saved by the automatic smoke alarm at her warden controlled home early today.

The woman, in her 80s, was found by firefighters confused and sitting in the living room of her smoke-filled home in Repton Avenue, Roseworth, Stockton, soon after 2am.

Station Officer Alan Powles, of Stockton fire station, said: "For some reason she decided to cook at that time of night and caused a kitchen fire.

"I sent in two lads in breathings sets and they found her sitting in the front room in thick smoke."

He added: "The council must receive credit for the automatic smoke alarm system linked to a mobile warden system.

"The wardens were there really quickly and knew the resident.

"The system saved her life."

The woman was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees for treatment.
COPYRIGHT 2003 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2003 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:News Local
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Oct 2, 2003
Words:139
Previous Article:Rider dies after bike crashes.
Next Article:Symbol of hope.


Related Articles
Pensioner saves boy from blaze.
Young raise alarm for the elderly.
Wardley and Leam Lane.
Smoke alarms campaign after pensioners' deaths.
COUPLE IN FIRE TRAGEDY.
WALES: Smoke alarm saves elderly man's life.
Smoke alarms saved her life.
Saved from oven blaze.
Woman saved.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters