Printer Friendly

Patient killed after drinking cleaningfluid left in juice jug.

Byline: MARTIN FRICKER

A PENSIONER died after hospital staff reportedly gave her cleaning fluid to drink, wrongly thinking it was orange juice.

The poisonous liquid had apparently been left in a water jug on a ward at the NHS Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.

Union officials said that a member of staff mistook the orange fluid for juice and poured a glass for the 85-year-old patient.

The victim, who has not been named, received emergency treatment after collapsing but died on September 23. Sussex Police, the NHS and the Care Quality Commission are investigating.

Gary Palmer, of the GMB union, said: "Cleaning fluid was decanted into a water jug. The staff member looked inside and thought it was juice.

"This is not the individual's mistake but failing of the Trust. "They are not giving adequate training to staff, who are under pressure." Sussex Police said: "The death has been referred to the coroner." The hospital would not comment amid the police inquiry.

Hospital martin.fricker@mirror.co.uk

CAPTION(S):

DEATH Hospital

COPYRIGHT 2017 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2017 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Oct 13, 2017
Words:173
Previous Article:All I want fur Xmas is Tyler; Tiger tops Ulster kids' toys wishlist.
Next Article:Biscuit cases; Dogs faces to sna pull the craziest as they open wide ap up tasty treats.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters