Printer Friendly

Pals died as they tried to keep warm.

Byline: AMY MURPHY Reporter ec.news@trinitymirror.com

THE owner of a boat on which two North East fishermen died of carbon monoxide poisoning has said he was not aware of marine safety guidelines about the gas.

Mark Arries, 26, and Edward Ide, 21, were found dead on the Eshcol as it was moored in Whitby, North Yorkshire, after a fishing trip in January 2014.

The pair were using the grill of a gas cooker to heat the boat overnight as they slept.

Timothy Bowman-Davies, 44, from Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, has admitted breaching safety laws but denies knowing the men were using the cooker as a heating source.

He told a trial of issue at Leeds Crown Court he was not aware of the risks of CO on boats and did not know he needed to have the gas cooker serviced.

The defendant said the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (had inspected the PS100,000 boat 11 weeks before the "tragic accident" and was "happy" with it.

He said he relied on his local MCA inspector to advise him and believed any safety concerns would have been raised.

He said: "I didn't know it needed to be done. I had the MCA inspector on the boat, I would have thought he would have told me.

"I'm a fisherman. Unless I'm helped along a little bit I don't know what to do. I rely on my local inspector for advice."

Bowman-Davies said he believed other boat owners had a similar lack of awareness about the risk of CO.

But he agreed when prosecutor James Leonard said: "I put to you your lack of awareness is a very serious failing on your part."

The defendant, who said he was "devastated" about the deaths, told the court: "I don't blame anybody. It's something that happened that shouldn't have happened, a tragic accident." The trial, which is sitting without a jury, has heard the defendant's son Jake, who was 15 at the time, made police statements in which he said he and his father were aware of the cooker being used as a heater on the Eshcol.

But when he gave evidence on Monday, the teenager, now 19, denied saying this.

His father told the court his son had never told him about anyone misusing the cooker in this wa.

Mr Arries and Mr Ide, both from Amble, Northumberland, were part of a crew of three working on the Eshcol to fish for scallops with two other boats owned by Bowman-Davies.

They had returned from a fishing trip in the early hours of January 15 2014 and were found dead in their bunks a few hours later, with the grill of the gas cooker on.

Bowman-Davies has pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the ship was operated safely and that work equipment was maintained efficiently.

The trial of issue was adjourned until today.

CAPTION(S):

Mark Arries and Edward Ide were both poisoned by deadly gas

COPYRIGHT 2017 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2017 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Aug 2, 2017
Words:490
Previous Article:Driving on with the drive-thrus; 5 things we learned yesterday.
Next Article:Man asks city bar staff to spy on girlfriend.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters