Printer Friendly

Pair saved in house fire.

Trapped housemates were rescued from a fire by alert passers-by.

The two women were left with no escape after a blaze broke out in the kitchen of their terraced house in Station Road, Wallsend, at 12.30am yesterday.

But they were helped to safety by two men who ran to get ladders and rescued them from an upstairs bedroom.

A further two occupants had already made it out and all four were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Acting Station Officer Keith Hall, of Wallsend Fire Station, said: "It could have been much more serious if it hadn't been for the quick-thinking actions of these people. Unfortunately the men disappeared soon after we got there so we don't actually know who they were."

The blaze started when a pan left on the stove burst into flames. The ground floor was badly damaged by heat and smoke.
COPYRIGHT 2004 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2004 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)
Date:Sep 17, 2004
Words:147
Previous Article:Move to extend.
Next Article:Sporting debate.


Related Articles
Homer's our hero.
Rescue heroes.
Yates family suffers new fire tragedy.
HERO EAMON IS KILLED SAVING PAL FROM FIRE; Brave dad rushed to help neighbour after phone call.
HERO EAMON IS KILLED SAVING PAL FROM FIRE; Brave dad and neighbour both die in house blaze.
MY HEROES; Builders save boy, 4, from house fire.
FIRE HEROES TOLD: YOU SAVED MY LIFE; Teenagers rescue man from blaze.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters