PS800,000 roundabout dug up for a second time; MINISTER APOLOGISES AS MORE WORK NEEDED TO FIX PROBLEM ON A470.
By HYWEL TREWYN Daily Post Reporter firstname.lastname@example.org A NEW PS800,000 roundabout's surface at Dolgellau has had to be removed and re-laid because it wasn't up to scratch.
Mid and West Plaid Cymru AM Simon Thomas was told by the Welsh Government about problems with the new A470/A493 Tywyn roundabout near Dolgellau which was only completed in May.
Tests showed that some of the surfacing material did not "comply with requirements" and had to be removed and re-laid.
Dolgellau mayor Delwyn Evans said: "The road has now been fixed but they are still working on the pavement and setting up health and safety rails. There was a problem with the camber which pulled to the left towards Tywyn. Somebody has been at fault."
| Work roundabout." Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Infrastructure Ken Skates said the repairs were "regrettable" and apologised to fed-up locals.
He wrote: "The work should be completed within two weeks during which traffic control will be in operation. The costs of the remedial works will be met by our contractors.
"In addition, a length of safety fencing which could not be completed during the original construction period due to the location of underground services will be installed.
"Officials are also considering whether at the nearby A470/A494 in May any other planned works can be carried out at the same time, to make best use of the traffic management arrangements. This is regrettable but the safety of the road will always be our primary concern. I do understand that this may be frustrating for local residents and would like to thank them in advance for carried out."
The PS800,000 Tywyn junction roundabout scheme was carried out by Jones Bros, Ruthin after another new PS1.1m roundabout was built at the treacherous A470/A494 Bala junction last year further up the road by the Dawnus company.
A Jones Bros spokesperson said: "As soon as we realised that the surfacing works did not comply with requirements, we took immediate steps to rectify and correct this with as minimal disruption as possible. The resurfacing works were planned in advance and are being carried out at the same time as additional works that could not be completed in May 2017 due to the location of underground services."
The repairs began on September 18.