Printer Friendly

POISON SCARE AT FACTORY; Safety watchdog opens inquiry.

RECYCLING plant workers were exposed to a potentially deadly substance.

Now a health watchdog is investigating Electrical Waste Recycling in Kirkheaton.

Employees at the company, formerly Matrix Direct, were exposed to mercury during work to remove chemical powder from fluorescent light tubes.

Severe exposure can cause brain and kidney damage.

Company bosses say none of the 40 employees has experienced health problems.

But a Health and Safety Executive spokeswoman said: "The HSE has taken enforcement action to stop any further mercury recovery operations from fluorescent light tubes and to require decontamination within the factory premises."

CAPTION(S):

MERCURY SITE: Electrical Waste Recycling
COPYRIGHT 2008 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Sep 10, 2008
Words:102
Previous Article:Body found as car blazes.
Next Article:Workers exposed to toxic chemical; Investigation under way at recycling firm.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters