Printer Friendly

PHASE III TRIALS POSITIVE FOR HYAL'S TREATMENT FOR SKIN CANCER HYAL-CT1101 SHOWS 87 PER CENT RESPONSE RATE

 MISSISSAUGA, Ontario, Sept. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Results from Hyal Pharmaceutical Corporation-sponsored Phase III clinical trials conducted at two independent centers for HYAL-CT1101, a topical treatment for basal cell carcinoma (BCC), were presented separately today by Dr. Kurt Gebauer (Fremantle, Western Australia) and Dr. Barry Lycka (Edmonton, Alberta) at the 5th World Congress on Cancers of the Skin in Berlin, Germany.
 Dr. Gebauer evaluated a total of 90 patients in a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial. Of the evaluable patients on active treatment for only eight weeks, 40 percent had complete or near- complete resolution of their lesion and 47 percent had a partial resolution of their lesion, for a total of 87 percent positive responders. This was in contrast to 8 percent positive responders in the placebo group which was in line with published spontaneous remission rates. While 12 percent of patients on placebo experienced disease progression, no such disease progression was seen in the active treatment group. Statistical analysis using ANOVA shows an overwhelming significance P less than 10-(13) between the placebo and active groups.
 Dr. Lycka presented results from his first 16 evaluable patients. All patients in the active group showed a positive response after only eight weeks of treatment, with 33 percent of these being cured. No positive responses were observed in any of the patients in the placebo group.
 Based upon these results, Hyal (NASDAQ-NMS: HYALF) believes that HYAL-CT1101 offers the first non-invasive, non-toxic, non-scarring therapy for the treatment and management of basal cell carcinoma, a locally malignant skin tumor that is the most frequent cancer in the Caucasian population. In North America more than 500,000 new cases are reported each year. In Australia, public interest is great as the annual incidence there approaches one per 100 people, the highest incidence rate in the world.
 The company intends to use these results as a basis for submissions to health regulatory agencies for obtaining product market approvals.
 Hyal specializes in the development and worldwide commercialization of pharmaceutical formulations utilizing its proprietary Hyaluronic Acid based drug delivery technology. Hyal is currently conducting Phase III clinical trials at 20 independent centers in Canada, the United States, Australia and a number of European countries for its three lead products: HYAL-CT1101 for the treatment of basal cell carcinoma and actinic keratosis, HYAL- AT2101 for the topical treatment of pain and HYAL-AV2201 for the intravenous treatment of moderate to severe pain.
 Hyal Pharmaceutical Corporation's shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the trading symbol HPC and on NASDAQ National Market System under the trading symbol HYALF.
 -0- 9/21/93
 /CONTACT: Samuel S. Asculai, president and CEO, 416-366-4863, or David W. Harper, VP-development, 416-366-4863, both of Hyal Pharmaceutical; or Diane Perry, 212-661-8030 or Kathy Brunson, 312-266-7800, all of the Financial Relations Board/
 (HYALF)


CO: Hyal Pharmaceutical Corporation ST: Ontario IN: MTC SU:

CK -- NY010 -- 4042 09/21/93 09:44 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Sep 21, 1993
Words:481
Previous Article:WANG TRADING SUSPENDED ON AMEX
Next Article:20 BANKS READY TO USE 'ASSIST,' SEI'S NEW FINANCIAL PLANNING SOFTWARE
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters