Printer Friendly

Owner of dog killed by toxic algae issues warning as case numbers rise; There are unconfirmed reports of swans in Nantwich having died due to blue-green algae.

Byline: Lauren Wise

The owner of a dog which was killed by toxic algae at Delamere Forest has issued a warning to pet owners.

His message follows a statement from the British Veterinary Association (BVA), who have confirmed a rise in cases of the deadly algae in the UK this summer.

The BVA issued a warning this week following news thatthree dogs in North Carolina, US, have died as a result.

Closer to home in the UK there have been multiple reports of dogs dying due to outbreaks of the deadly blue-green algae.

Just over two weeks agoCheshireLive reported on the death of King Charles Cavalier, Kendall, at Delamere Forestafter he had swum at Hatchmere Lake.

Cheshire Wildlife Trust since closed the lake to the public following the incident, with the presence of blue-green algae confirmed.

BVA junior vice president Daniella Dos Santos said: "We know that some dogs enjoy nothing better than a paddle in a cool lake while on a walk during summer months, but my advice to pet owners would be to keep your dog on a lead during walks near water confirmed to have toxic algal blooms.

"While not all blue green algae are poisonous, it is impossible to tell the difference visually, so it is better to be safe than sorry.

"There is currently no known antidote for the toxins, so prompt veterinary treatment is essential to tackle their effects and ensure a good chance of recovery.

"If you suspect your dog has been exposed to blue green algae, rush it to your local vet without delay."

Despite quick action on the part of Kendall's owners, the six-year-old dog was sadly unable to be resuscitated.

Following the latest warning Matt Browning, Kendall's heartbroken owner, has urged dog walkers to keep their pets out of water all together unless it's running.

He said: "It's a bit extreme really as a message but I wouldn't do it again I wouldn't risk it.

"I think if your dog is going swimming you should look for running water - not stagnant water."

"Part of the pleasure in owning a dog is seeing them running about so it is difficult."

Speaking about how his family are coping following Kendall's death, Matt said: "Our hearts are still bleeding.

"We're doing OK - it's just tough. I feel terrible guilt for it. He was irreplacable."

At the beginning of July the Daily Post reported another case of a dog dying as a result of the toxic algae.

German Shepherd Luna tragically became ill and died having drunk pond water at a public park in Abergele.

The BVA has spoken of the confirmed presence of blue-green algae in water bodies across the UK, warning owners to look out for symptoms should their dog drink water containing the potentially deadly toxin.

There have today also been unconfirmed reports of swans dying as a result of a blue-green algae bloom in Nantwich.

We have reached out to the RSPCA and Nature England regarding the claims and await their response.

To receive one WhatsApp message a day with the main headlines from CheshireLive, as well as breaking news alerts, text NEWS to 07500 881875. Then add the number to your phone contacts book as 'CheshireLive'.

Your phone number won't be shared with other members of the group.

CAPTION(S):

Credit: Matt Browning

Kendall, a six-year-old King Charles Cavalier, died after swimming in toxic algae at Delamere Forest

Credit: Matt Browning

Kendall with owners Matt and Marie Browning
COPYRIGHT 2019 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Chester Chronicle (Chester, England)
Date:Aug 15, 2019
Words:579
Previous Article:Pet Hero of the Year is a cocker spaniel trained to save owner who can collapse into coma without warning; Seven-year-old pooch helps his owner...
Next Article:Acas offer employment advice to A-level students; "UCAS is known for helping students embark on the next stage of their education but Acas is the go...
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |