Over 3,000 left homeless.
A three-member probe committee was formed on Saturday to investigate Friday's fire at a slum in the city's Mirpur-7 area that left over 3,000 people homeless. Ershad Hossain, duty-officer at Fire Service and Civil Defence office, said the committee was constituted with deputy director (ambulance) Abul Hossain as its head, while assistant director (operation) Abul Hossain as member secretary and deputy assistant director (Mirpur Zone) Newaz Ahmed as member.
The committee was asked to submit its report as early as possible, Ershad said.
The massive fire that broke out at the slum on Friday evening was doused by firefighters early Saturday, after six hours of their hectic efforts.
The fire gutted 600 rooms of the slum and left at least four people injured. Meanwhile, firefighters were conducting a search operation at the slum since this morning. So far, they have enlisted 300 families who have been affected by the fire that burned down their 600 rooms last night.