Over 3,000 in court for female attacks.
MORE than 3,000 people in South Wales have been prosecuted for crimes against women and girls in the last year, figures from the Crown Prosecution Service have revealed.
According to the report, prosecutions for crimes including rape, domestic abuse and sexual abuse have risen by 18% in Wales and England over the last 12 months.
Barbara Natasegara, chief executive of Safer Wales, described the findings as "encouraging", but said more needed to be done to increase victims' confidence in reporting crimes.
She said: "We welcome this news that there has been an increase in the number of people that have been prosecuted. Our team protect women every day. We support women throughout the court process to ensure perpetrators are brought to justice.
"However, we do know that many women do not report these crimes and we must continue to build confidence with victims."
The figures revealed that a total of 5,119 people in Wales were prosecuted for crimes against women and girls between April 2014 and April 2015.
In South Wales, 3,426 people were prosecuted, with 2,495 cases ending in a conviction.
In North Wales, 1,536 people were prosecuted, with 1,173 cases ending in a conviction.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)|
|Date:||Jun 26, 2015|
|Previous Article:||Pair jailed for abusing man in wheelchair outside pub.|
|Next Article:||Break a leg; As the weekend of an injury-hit Glastonbury approaches, the BBC braces itself for live coverage of the world's biggest music festival.|