Other CoGS business.
* Heard that the diocese of New Westminster has donated $320,000 in seed money to General Synod's Letting Down the Nets stewardship and gift planning initiative. Canon Geoff Jackson, who was recently named General Synod's senior financial development officer, said the initiative now has about $500,000 in funds.
* Welcomed the affirmation contained in a communique issued by primates of the Anglican Communion last February "that it is contrary to the continuing tradition and judgment of the church that a bishop interfere in the affairs of a diocese or province, " and asked the primate "to convey this message to them as he thinks best;"
* Defeated a resolution that states that it "welcomes the primates' call for a moratorium on public rites of same-sex blessings."
* Approved the revised dates of June 19-25, 2007 for General Synod 2007 to enable a joint meeting with the national convention of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. General Synod will be held at the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, in the diocese of Rupert's Land. The proposed date for the joint meeting is June 21. CoGS also accepted the invitation of the diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island to hold General Synod 2010 in the diocese.
* Agreed to add another half day to its fall meeting to allow for an anti-racism training workshop.
* Approved Propers for Florence Li Tim Oi, the first woman priest in the Anglican Communion (who spent her last years in an Anglican parish in Toronto), and Emily Ayckbown, founder of the Community of Sisters of the Church (Anglican) established in England, whose first overseas venture was in Canada. The approval means that the two women are now in the Anglican Church of Canada calendar, together with readings for the commemoration of their ministries.
* Received reports from 21 dioceses which responded to a request for updates on youth ministry.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||COUNCIL OF GENERAL SYNOD|
|Date:||Jun 1, 2005|
|Previous Article:||Can we all please watch our language?|
|Next Article:||Church budget goes under the knife.|