Vladmir Nikolaus Mackiw, FCIC, FCAE, P.Eng, was an accomplished and well-regarded chemist who dedicated his expertise to the field of metallurgy. Born in Stanislawiw, Western Ukraine on September 4, 1923, Mackiw graduated from the Universities of Breslau and Erlangen in Germany and from the Belgian University of Louvain. He immigrated to Canada, joined the CIC in 1949 and obtained his citizenship in 1953. Early in his career, he worked as a chemist for Lingman Lake Gold Mines Limited of Ontario and later for the Manitoba Provincial Bureau of Mines in Winnipeg. While employed by the Manitoba Provincial Bureau of Mines, he focused on the chemistry of the leaching process at an Ottawa plant operated by Sherritt Gordon Mines. It was there that Mackiw developed key techniques that shaped his career and defined the Sherritt ammonia pressure leach process. Mackiw's discoveries were implemented worldwide and significantly reduced levels of pollution once generated by smelting operations. By 1980, 40% of the free world refined nickel metal using his revolutionary techniques. Mackiw retired from Sherritt Gordon Mines Limited in 1988. His work was recognized over several decades by numerous awards and prestigious appointments. He authored and co-authored over 50 publications and held over 45 patents. His former colleagues described him as a thorough gentleman who was modest, charming and outgoing. The accomplishments of Vladimir N. Mackiw were featured on p. 15 of the October 2000 issue of ACCN. Donations in memory of Mackiw may be made to the Shevchenko Scientific Society, Canada, 2118-A Bloor Street W., Toronto, ON, M6S 1M8.
Arnold Gillies Muirhead, FCIC was born January 18, 1903 in Carleton Place, ON and dedicated his varied talents to his residential community and to the chemical and lumber industries. Muirhead earned his chemical engineering degree from Queen's University in Kingston, ON and joined the ranks of Price Brothers & Co. Limited of Jonquiere (formerly Kenogami), QC in 1927. He worked in pulp and paper-testing labs and was promoted from assistant chemist to chief chemist in one year. By 1943, he was serving as general superintendent for the same company and was in charge of a self-contained newsprint mill. Following his election to CIC fellowship, Muirhead carried his paper-related expertise back to Gillies Bros. & Co. Ltd, the family-run lumber operation that began manufacturing white pine in Braeside, ON in 1842. As president of Gillies Bros., he did much to foster economic growth in the Ottawa Valley. He sold the world-renowned company to Consolidated Bathhurst in 1963. He retired in 1968 and remained very active in his hometown of Arnprior, ON for an additional 30 years. He was a vital board member and contributor to Arnprior and District Archives, which he co-founded, and he recently led an organization that saved Arnprior's Gillies Grove from a looming housing development. An informed and avid historian, Muirhead donated artifacts and volumes of material related to his family's long-standing Canadian history to museums across the nation.