Obituaries of the members of the Ohio Academy of Science report of the Necrology Committee, 2001.
The following is a list of deceased members of the Academy with the year joined and date of death, if known, whose obituaries have not yet been published in The Journal.
Daniel Raymond Atzenhoefer (1913-2000)
Daniel Raymond Atzenhoefer, age 87, Administrator Emeritus and 55-year public servant at the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), died on 2 December 2000, at Riverside Methodist Hospitals, as a result of complications after being struck by a car on 27 October. In recognition of his contributions to conservation and environmental causes, he was the recipient of the "Take Pride in America" award presented by President Ronald Reagan (1987), and was inducted into the Ohio Conservation Hall of Fame (1996). An author of technical and popular articles for conservation and military publications, he was the assistant editor of A Legacy of Stewardship: The Ohio Department of Natural Resources, 1949-1989 (edited by Charles C. King, 1990). The book was written on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of ODNR and includes two chapters ("Division of Civilian Conservation," pp. 209-220 and "Division of Litter Prevention and Recycling," pp. 221-232), by Atzenhoefer. Joining The Ohio Academy of Science in 1952, Atzenhoefer affiliated with Section Natural Resources, was elected a Fellow (1955), and was accorded emeritus status (1995). He was a program coordinator of the Symposium on the History of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, held 29 April 1988 at the Academy's 97th Annual Meeting on The Ohio State University, Newark campus and jointly sponsored, in part, with the ODNR.
Born 21 April 1913 on a farm near Cameron, Monroe County, OH, Daniel Raymond Atzenhoefer was the son of John and Caroline (Mobley) Atzenhoefer. After graduating from Sunsbury (Beallsville) High School, he matriculated at The Ohio State University, earning a BS in education (1936) and MS in zoology (1940). What was to become a lifelong career in wildlife management and natural resources and their administration, he commenced on May 1937, his professional employment as a wildlife manager with the Division of Conservation, headquartered in Norwalk, OH. Concurrently and under the supervision of Professor Lawrence E. Hicks, Atzenhoefer completed his Master's thesis entailing 'Population Studies of the Cottontail in Northern Ohio: A. Winter Populations, B. Reproductive Studies." Dan's work in conservation was temporarily interrupted by military service. He became a First Lieutenant of Infantry, 10 June 1941, serving in the British Isles, North Africa, and Italy. He returned to the United States in February 1944, serving on the staff and faculty of Provost Marshal School, Fort Custer (MI) and Fort Sam Houston (TX). Although Dan separated from the Armed Services in October 1946, he later completed his military obligations in 1973 with the rank of Colonel. He was inducted into the Veterans Hall of Fame.
Resuming his career with ODNR, he worked in the Division of Wildlife for nearly 30 years, with youth conservation programs for 20 years, and as Special Projects Administrator, Division of Recycling and Litter Prevention. Dan developed and implemented the State of Ohio's Summer Youth Litter Corps. Among his numerous responsibilities in ODNR were District Supervisor, Training and Public Service Office and Director, Federal Manpower Program. His work required extensive traveling within the United States, as well as in Canada, Europe, and Mexico, where he studied natural resources and their management. In another area of research, probably influenced by his graduate studies on the cottontail rabbit, he was instrumental in eliminating the importation of western rabbits as a wildlife management tool. His other professional contributions included the development of a farmer/hunter attitude survey for the Izaak Walton League and the coordination of job opportunities for federally funded workers with ODNR. Under his administration one of the largest and most successful United States Youth Conservation Corps programs flourished in this country. Although he officially retired on 30 June 1992, Dan kept an office in ODNR. As a volunteer, he continued to promote the cause of conservation, working as a special projects director for the Division of Wildlife. Interested in people and events, Dan became the Department's unofficial historian, writing "The DNR Time Capsule," a column appearing in The Resource (the employee newsletter of the ODNR).
Outside his responsibilities with ODNR, Dan also served the public in other ways. He was co-founder of the Buckeye Big Buck Club and became a leader of the Izaak Walton League, Outdoor Writers of Ohio, and the Wildlife Management Association. In 1998 he was inducted into the Buckeye Big Buck Club Hall of Fame. Among his other numerous awards, conferred by local communities, state, and national groups were: Outstanding Employee of the Month and Distinguished Service Award, ODNR; United States Forest Service 75th Year Award; Ohio Writers Outdoor Association (OWOA) Service Award; United States Department of the Interior recognition; United States Armed Service Award; OSU-SNR Honorary 100 Award; Ohio House of Representatives and Senate Recognition; and several commendations from government officials, including Senator John Glenn and Vice President Dan Quayle.
Daniel Atzenhoefer held memberships in the OSU School of Natural Resources Alumni Association, OWOA, OSU ROTC Alumni Association, Buckeye Big Buck Club, Kentucky Outdoor Press, Masonic Lodge, and Scottish Rite and Shrine.
Surviving Daniel Atzenhoefer are his wife Mary Ellen (Boehme) Atzenhoefer whom he married on 21 April 1941; two daughters, Kay Clymer of Zanesville, OH, and Ann Greet of Springfield, OH; one son, Edward K. Atzenhoefer of Columbus, OH; and three grandchildren, Chris Atzenhoefer, Jessica Clymer Smith, and Brent Clymer. Daniel donated his body to the OSU organ donation program. Services were held in the Vineyard Chapel on 8 December 2000. Internment took place in the Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA. Memorial contributions may be made to the youth programs, Vineyard Christian Fellowship, 6000 Cooper Road, Westerville, OH 43081.
WILLIAM R. BURK
Noah Wilson Britt (1913-2001)
Dr. N. Wilson Britt, Professor Emeritus of Entomology at The Ohio State University, died at age 88 on 17 May 2001 at Norton's Hospital in Louisville, KY. Much of Dr. Britt's professional career centered on teaching and research related to the aquatic insects of western Lake Erie, particularly the order Ephemeroptera (mayflies). He is credited with defining "the day Lake Erie died," when on 5 September 1953 he found unusually low oxygen concentrations that had killed most bottom dwelling organisms. Among these was the pollution sensitive mayfly Hexagenia that was absent from the lake for the next four decades. His research helped demonstrate the critical need for pollution controls that have resulted in the remarkable improvements in Lake Erie water quality that have been experienced in the past decade. Dr. Britt joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1950 and was elected a Fellow in 1957. He was also an author and co-author of papers and reviews published in The Ohio Journal of Science.
N. Wilson Britt, son of the late Noah and Rebecca Carver Britt, was born on 30 January 1913 in the community of Lucas in Barren County, KY, and grew up on the family farm. Wilson graduated from Glasgow High School in Glasgow, KY, in June 1932. In September of that year he enrolled in Western Kentucky State Teachers College in Bowling Green, KY, and the following year he received a provisional elementary teaching certificate. For the next six years he taught in rural elementary schools and intermittently attended college, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in 1939. While a college student, he worked as a laboratory assistant in general biology and bacteriology courses. Upon graduation he was granted a secondary teaching certificate and for the next two years he taught science at the Cave City High School, KY. In the summer of 1940 he attended classes at Franz Theodore Stone Laboratory, The Ohio State University's biological field station on Lake Erie at Put-in-Bay, OH. Here he was inspired by the research of his future advisors, Professors Marion W. Boesel, David C. Chandler, and Thomas Huxley Langlois.
In 1941 Wilson married Mary Katherine Farris. World War II interrupted his plans to continue graduate studies at Stone Laboratory. He had taken a position as park ranger at Mammoth Cave National Park, KY, in the summer of 1942, but to help the war effort, in September of that year he signed as a civilian instructor for the Army Air Force Weather School at Chanute Field, IL. The following year Wilson enlisted in the Army Air Force and was assigned as a meteorology instructor at the same base until he was reassigned to the European Theater as a weather observer with the 18th Weather Squadron, attached first to the 8th Air Force and later to the 9th Air Force stationed in England. He held the rank of staff sergeant when honorably discharged at the end of the war, but remained in the Air Force Reserves for over 15 years. In 1946 he returned to graduate studies at Stone Laboratory and was employed as a research assistant in limnology. He received a Masters degree in 1947, with a thesis titled "Observations on the Life History of the Collembolan, Achorutes armatus," and a Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1950 with a dissertation titled, "The Life History and Ecology of the White Mayfly, Ephoron album Say, in Lake Erie." Upon graduation, Dr. Britt joined the faculty of Stone Laboratory, known then and until 1955 as the Franz Theodore Stone Institute of Hydrobiology, as assistant professor. Wilson taught courses in limnology, aquatic entomology, field entomology, and herpetology--more different kinds of courses at Stone Laboratory than any previous or then current faculty member. He became associated with Department of Zoology and Entomology in 1955 on the Columbus Campus and was promoted to associate professor in 1959 and professor in 1968. Until his retirement in 1983, when he became Professor Emeritus, he continued to teach many summers at Stone Laboratory. In the earlier years at the Laboratory, his wife Mary K taught in the local Put-in-Bay school system. Several of her elementary school students later became Wilson's students at the Laboratory.
Dr. Britt served as academic advisor to numerous masters and doctoral students as well as many undergraduates. One of his students, Roger Knight, now supervisor of the Lake Erie Fisheries Research Unit of the Ohio Division of Wildlife, recalls an impressionable visit to Professor Britt's office. Roger was enrolled in Dr. Britt's aquatic insect course and had gone to the Professor's office to discuss his term paper. While there, he noticed a large card file in a prominent location. When he inquired about its contents, Dr. Britt said, "Do you remember the index card you filled out the first day of class? Well, this file contains a card for every student I have ever taught." Then to Roger's surprise, he said, "Come over here I want to show you one." Dr. Britt worked his way through the "Ns" and proudly produced a card on which the student had written the name "Jack Nicklaus." Another student, Ed Skoch, now professor of biology at John Carroll University, remembers Dr. Britt's self-control and mild manner. Ed was Dr. Britt's laboratory assistant in a field limnology course. Equipment was scarce in those days, but finally a new temperature probe and meter were purchased for the course. On the first outing, a student accidentally knocked the meter into the lake. Ed had to be the one to present the dripping instrument to the professor. In his finest style, Dr. Britt took one look and simply turned and walked away. Ed was later able to dry out the meter and get it working again. Some years later, I recall the time when a group of us in his limnology class swam across the icy waters of Miller's Blue Hole, while Dr. Britt pretended not to notice but kept a watchful eye. Returning from mainland field trips, for which Dr. Britt would also have to serve as driver of an ancient military bus, he would always save time for a brief stop at Cheese Haven on Catawba Island for students to taste the free samples. Jeff Reutter, now Director of F. T. Stone Laboratory and the Ohio Sea Grant College Program at The Ohio State University, commented on the passing of Dr. Britt, "Wilson was one of the best professors we ever had at Stone Laboratory and made a lasting impact on the lives of the students. He was also an outstanding researcher and we still often refer to his work on mayflies from the early 1950s. He was fun to talk to and I especially liked his photo on his motorcycle. He will be missed." Paul Stromberg, now professor of veterinary medicine at The Ohio State University, writes, "I was a graduate student in parasitology at Stone Lab during the late 60s when Dr. Britt taught and remember him as a teacher with a historical perspective who motivated students. He was a delightful personal encounter and a valuable resource."
Dr. Britt's early research focused on the life histories and ecology of Lake Erie aquatic insects, especially Collembola and Ephemeroptera. Later he worked on quantitative studies of the lake's bottom fauna and the chemical and physical factors influencing the marked changes that had occurred in these benthic populations. He also conducted research on the taxonomy and distribution of vertebrates, particularly snakes, in the islands region of Lake Erie. In 1955 he was in charge of scientific observations made on one of the research vessels participating in a special study titled the Lake Erie Synoptic Survey. In this study, boats from Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, and Ontario participated in data gathering. Each vessel followed a specified 120 km course; scientists on each vessel made observations, took water samples, and collected biological specimens at specified times so that data from all parts of Lake Erie could be obtained at the same time. Dr. Britt published over 30 scientific papers, reviews, and abstracts. Perhaps the paper that had the most impact on the scientific community, and is still referenced today, was published in Ecology: "Stratification in Western Lake Erie in the Summer of 1953: Effects on the Hexagenia (Ephemeroptera) Population" (1955). This paper served as a "wake-up call" on the degradation that was occurring in Lake Erie. An important synthesis written by Dr. Britt, in conjunction with his students James T. Addis and Ronald Engel, and published by the Ohio Biological Survey and the Center for Lake Erie Area Research in 1973, was "Limnological Studies of the Island Area of Western Lake Erie."
In addition to The Ohio Academy of Science, Dr. Britt held memberships in the American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, Societas Internationalis Limnologiae, Ecological Society of America, National Geographic Society, North American Benthological Society, Sigma Xi (national science honor society), International Association for Great Lakes Research, American Microscopical Society, American Association of University Professors, and Kentucky Educational Association. Starting in 1955, Dr. Britt has been listed in American Men of Science (9th Edition) and later in the renamed American Men and Woman of Science (12th Edition).
Wilson's hobbies included photography (almost a passion), hunting and fishing, boating, gardening, reading, listening to good music, and seeing good shows. Former colleague Professor Loren S. Putnam noted of Wilson, "As any true Kentuckian, in his younger days he was an excellent horseman. Rumor has it that he was also a real daredevil on a motorcycle." Former students still remember the photograph of him on his prized motorcycle. During his teaching days at Cave City High School, he also served as an athletic coach and eventually principal of the school. In college he was a member of the wrestling and tumbling teams, glee club, biology club, chemistry club, and English club. A strong supporter of the Friends of Stone Laboratory with financial gifts, he also donated a sizable portion of his library to this organization when he retired. In 1985 Wilson and Mary K moved to Bradenton, FL. His condominium was small but he found room for his microscope and photographic equipment in a corner of the garage. He was pleased that nearby was a drainage ditch with "lots of dragonflies." In a conversation with Dr. Ronald L. Stuckey, he even talked of doing "a little teaching at Manatee Community College," which was within walking distance of his new home. He remained in Florida until Mary K died a few years ago and then moved back to Kentucky to be near relatives in the Louisville area. Dr. Britt was a member of the Peters Creek Baptist Church.
One sister, Tressie Ree Hatcher of Glasgow, KY; one brother, Edwin Britt of Portland, TN; one nephew, J. Carroll Hatcher of Louisville, KY; and one niece, Mary Lloyd Thomas of Venice, FL, survive Dr. Britt. The children of Dr. Britt's nephew--Robert, Bridget, and Hannah Hatcher--write, "Our great uncle Wilson will be missed, though we appreciate the time we had with him." Funeral services were held on 19 May 2001 at the Hatcher & Saddler Funeral Home in Glasgow, KY, with burial in the Glasgow Municipal Cemetery. Dr. Loren S. Putnam, former director of Stone Laboratory from 1956 to 1973, so eloquently expressed feelings that so many of us have, "Wilson Britt excelled as a teacher and was revered by his students. He gave them hours of extra time as well as the quiet encouragement that brings out the best in young people. He will be remembered for his research and teaching, but those of us who knew him will remember his kindness, his sharing, his friendship, and his true quality as a gentleman."
CHARLES E. HENDERDORF
William Franklin Davis (1926-1991)
William Franklin Davis, age 64, physician and surgeon and lifelong resident of Kingsville, OH, died 3 January 1991 in MetroGeneral Hospital, Cleveland, OH. During World War II he served in the United States Army. A member of The Ohio Academy of Science since 1967, he affiliated in Section Conservation.
Born 3 April 1926, in Cleveland, OH, William Franklin Davis was the son of Clarissa (Flowers) Davis. At Michigan State University he received a BS in wildlife management (1949). After earning the MD from The Ohio State University College of Medicine (1955), Davis served one year of internship and four years of residency at Mount Sinai Hospital, Cleveland. Establishing a private practice in Kingsville, Dr. Davis was a physician and surgeon in general and orthopedic medicine.
In professional associations he held memberships in the American Medical Association, Ashtabula County Medical Association, and Ohio State Medical Association. Interested in natural history, Dr. Davis was a member of several wildlife and mammalogical organizations, among them, the American Society of Mammalogists. In honorary societies he was elected to Kappa Delta Pi and Alpha Kappa Kappa.
At the time of his death, William F. Davis was survived by his wife, Patricia (Kerine) Davis whom he married in October 1975. A graveside service was held 7 January 1991 at Edgewood Cemetery, Ashtabula Township, OH, with the Reverend Steven Long of First Presbyterian Church officiating. The Jack W. Ross Funeral Home, Ashtabula, OH, was in charge of arrangements. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Red Cross or Animal Protective League.
WILLIAM R. BURK
Robert Betzel Elliott (1926-2001)
Robert Betzel Elliott, age 74, retired family physician and long-time resident of Ada, OH, died on 4 January 2001 at Charlotte Regional Medical Center, Punta Gorda, FL. He was a United States Army veteran, serving in the Philippines during World War II. Named Ohio Family Physician of the Year (1985) and Ada's Distinguished Citizen of the Year by Town & Gown Association (1988), Elliott was inducted into Ada Alumni Association's Hall of Honors (2000). Dr. Elliott joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1968, affiliating with Section Medical Sciences.
Born 8 December 1926 in Ada, OH, Robert Betzel Elliott was the son of Floyd Milton and Rose Marguerite (Betzel) Elliott. He graduated from Ada High School, Ada, OH. After earning the BA (1949) from Ohio Northern University (ONU), he received the MD (1953) from the University of Cincinnati. Elliott was a Diplomate of the American Board of Family Practice and completed his internship at Charity Hospital, New Orleans, LA (1953-1954). Following his residency in pathology at Baptist Memorial Hospital, Memphis, TN (1958-1959), he devoted his medical career to specializing in family practice in his hometown of Ada until his retirement (1996). Serving on the staff of the ONU Health Service (1960-1970), he was also a team physician at Ada High School for several years. He was coroner of Hardin County, OH (1973-1993), and a member of the Ada Exempted Village School Board (1960-1976), serving for several years as vice president and president.
In professional organizations Elliott held memberships in the American Academy of Family Physicians, American College Health Association, American Medical Association, Hardin County Medical Society (president, 1964), Lima Academy of Family Physicians, Ohio Academy of Family Physicians, and Ohio State Medical Association. In societies he was a member of American Legion Post 185, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite Valley of Columbus, Kenton Elks Lodge 157, Masonic Lodge 344 F & AM, and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9381.
Surviving Robert Betzel Elliott are his wife Margaret Mary (Robichaux) Elliott whom he married on 26 August 1954; four sons, Howard A. of Findlay, OH, Michael D. and Douglas J. of Ada, and John C. of Grosse Ile, MI; one daughter, Joan O. Raney of South Lyon, MI; nine grandchildren; and two brothers, John of Alexandria, VA, and Charles of Sidney, OH. A son, Robert Bruce, and a brother, Howard, preceded him in death. Visitation hours were held 7-8 January 2001 and prior to funeral services held 9 January 2001 at Hanson-Neely Funeral Home, Ada, with the Reverend Patrick Allen officiating. Internment took place in Woodlawn Cemetery, Ada. Memorial donations may be made to Ada Alumni Scholarship Fund or to Ohio Northern University, Biology Department.
WILLIAM R. BURK
Warren Chase Ellis, Jr. (1919-1999)
Warren Chase Ellis, Jr., age 79, former organic chemist at Battelle Memorial Institute in Columbus, OH, died suddenly on 11 August 1999, at his home in Grandview Heights, OH. Active in community groups, Ellis was a longtime supporter of Columbus Light Opera and charitable organizations. In The Ohio Academy of Science, he joined (1960) and affiliated with Section Physical and Mathematical Sciences.
Warren Chase Ellis, Jr., born 15 September 1919 in Mexico, MO, was the son of Warren Chase and Trix Itu (Turley) Ellis. He received the BS (1940) from Iowa State College (now University) and intermittently took classes at The Ohio State University (1946-1951). While an undergraduate, he also served as an analytical chemist, United States Department of Agriculture, Experiment Station at Iowa State (1939-1940). His subsequent professional positions were: chemist (1940-1941) and junior research chemist (1941-1945), Monsanto Chemical Company, Nitro, WV; and research engineer (1945-1947), assistant supervisor (1948-1954), division chief (1954-1960), assistant department manager (1960-1961), and senior administrative assistant and senior project leader (beginning 1961), Battelle Memorial Institute, Columbus, OH. He retired in 1984. In research he was interested in agricultural chemicals, uses of organic chemicals, catalysts, lubricants, leather, wood preservation, advanced jet fuels, criminalistics, technology transfer, and detergents.
Warren Ellis held professional memberships in the American Academy for the Advancement of Science, American Chemical Society, and American Leather Chemists Association. A member of the Trinity United Methodist Church, Grandview Heights, he was also an active member of several social and civic groups, among them: Battelle Senior Associates, the Buckeye Trail Association, the Cliff Heights Senior Center, Grandview-Marble Cliff Historical Society, the Men's Wednesday Breakfast Group at First Community Church, The Nature Conservancy, and the Northwest Garden Club.
At the time of his death, Warren Chase Ellis, Jr. was survived by his wife Mary Kay (Walton) Ellis whom he married in 1942; two sons, Warren Chase Ellis III and George Ellis; two daughters, Susan Ellis, and Jean Ellis Hicks; and step-sons, David and Barry Walton; grandchildren, Brian, Kari, Warren IV, Todd, Kelli, Chad, Singleton, Isabel, and Taylor; four great-grandchildren; step-grandchildren, Tiffany, Troy, Brandon, Matt, Katie, Brent, Chelsea; and two step-great grandchildren. His first wife, Mirian "Pat" Bevington Ellis, preceded him in death. Memorial services were held 17 August 1999 at Trinity United Methodist Church with Dr. Frank Luchsinger officiating. Arrangements were by Deyo-Davis Funeral Home, Grandview Heights. Memorial contributions may be made to Columbus Light Opera, 177 Naghten Street, Columbus, OH 43215; Buckeye Trail Association, PO Box 254, Worthington, OH 43085; or Trinity United Methodist Church, 1581 Cambridge Boulevard, Grandview Heights, Columbus, OH 43212.
WILLIAM R. BURK
Clara May (Queen) Frederick (1916-2000)
Clara May (Queen) Frederick, age 84, Professor Emerita of Biology at Urbana University, Urbana, OH, died 31 July 2000 at the Warren Memorial Hospital, Front Royal, VA. Among her numerous honors, she was named Citizen of the Year by the Urbana Area, OH, Chamber of Commerce (1985). Clara May was noted for her compassionate conviction in pursuing environmental and social causes, such as the preservation of Cedar Bog in Champaign County, OH, and campaigning for more women in graduate-level degree programs. Known for her floristic and ecological research on Cedar Bog and her pastime of growing plants, especially roses and orchids, Clara May published articles and a book in the scientific and horticultural literature. Earning the respect and admiration of students and colleagues, she is commemorated by her namesake, The Clara May Frederick Biology Laboratory in Urbana University's Lewis and Jean Moore Center for Mathematics and Science. Joining The Ohio Academy of Science (1965), she affiliated with Section Plant Sciences, was elected a Fellow (1977), and became a life member (1985).
Clara May Queen, born 16 March 1916 in Douglas County, IL, was the eldest daughter of William Leslie and Cora Mabel (Hall) Queen. Receiving a BA (1946) from Defiance College, OH, she majored in history, biology, and English. Her early professional experiences were teaching history (1943-1945) at Olive Branch High School, Clark County, OH. Subsequently she was a teacher of general science (1955-1956) and substitute teacher of biology (1966), Urbana High School, Urbana, OH. After raising a family, Clara May commenced graduate studies in botany at The Ohio State University where she specialized in plant taxonomy and earned the MS (1964) and PhD (1967) under the guidance of botanist T. Richard Fisher. Her thesis was titled "Natural History Study of the Flora of Cedar Swamp. I. The Bog Meadow," and her dissertation "A Natural History of the Vascular Flora of Cedar Bog, Champaign County, Ohio." Concurrently she was a part-time instructor in botany and biology (1964-1967) at OSU. Dr. Frederick joined the faculty of Urbana College (now University) as a biologist, advancing in the academic ranks from assistant professor (1967-1970) and associate professor (1970-1977) to professor (1977-1985). When Clara May retired in 1985, she was designated Professor Emeritus. She taught botany, biology, genetics, horticulture, algae, and science methods. Serving as chairperson of the Division of Science--Mathematics (1969-1971), the Department of Biology (1971-1976), and the Arts and Sciences Area (beginning 1976), she also taught Basic Horticulture in evening school. A longtime resident of Urbana, Clara May later moved to Oakwood Village, Springfield, OH, and subsequently to Front Royal, VA (1999).
Her studies on and concern for Cedar Bog, an area unique in Ohio for the number and kinds of plants growing there, continued during her college career. Clara May made the first most complete list of plants for this site. She promoted a public awareness of this exceptional site through symposia, publications, and civic activity. Her presentation at the first Cedar Bog Symposium, held at Urbana College, 3 November 1973, on "Disjunct Plant Species in Cedar Bog" was published in the meeting proceedings edited by Charles C. King and Dr. Frederick (Ohio Biological Survey, Informative Circular No. 4 (1974)). She published "A Natural History Study of the Vascular Flora of Cedar Bog, Champaign County, Ohio" (Ohio J Sci 74:65-116. 1974) based on her thesis and dissertation. Clara May actively supported efforts to save the ecological integrity of the Bog through service on the Advisory Committee, Cedar Bog Nature Preserve under the auspices of The Ohio Historical Society. It has been said elsewhere that she almost single-handedly halted the construction of a highway that threatened Cedar Bog.
In addition to her investigations on Cedar Bog, she studied introgression in sugar and black maples with OSU professor Elton F. Paddock. In 1970 Clara May was awarded a National Science Foundation grant to conduct ecological research at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Dr. Frederick was a visiting investigator at the OSU Franz Theodore Stone Laboratory, Lake Erie (1972, 1974, and 1975). Working on independent research, she studied the algae, microscopic invertebrates, and protists in Champaign County and at Lake Erie. Her studies also took her to New Zealand, Australia, India, Kenya, and Tanzania where she took an interest in understanding the management and educational use of wildlife and natural areas.
At her memorial service in Urbana, OH, Harold Dickershied, one of Clara May's colleagues and friends, provided an insightful commentary about her. As a professor, she was concerned not only about the students' learning, but also their well-being. "Her students always came first. She claimed all who walked into her classroom and some who did not, and found ways to challenge and motivate them, even if they lacked confidence." According to other friends, she maintained caring interests in her students by keeping in touch with them after their graduation.
Aside from her scientific investigations and the classroom, Clara May wore the director's hat for Urbana College Readers' Theatre productions, expressing an artistic side of her life. She directed the English translation of Lysistrata (1975) and A Streetcar Named Desire (1975), now preserved as video recordings. She and her husband were devoted to the well being of the Urbana campus. On many evenings, they were seen with wheelbarrows and shovels, putting in plantings around buildings. Clara May's interests in beautifying the Urbana campus were further fulfilled by serving as an elected faculty representative on the Building and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees, Urbana College.
In professional associations she held memberships in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Association of University Women (Ohio representative, Regional Committee, Great Lakes Basin Commission Task Force; Board member, Ohio Division (1973-1979); and other offices), American Fern Society, American Institute of Biological Sciences, Botanical Society of America, Ohio Biological Survey (Urbana College representative), and Ohio State Medical Association (past president, Women's Auxiliary). Among garden and horticultural societies, Clara May was an active member of the American Horticultural Society, American Rose Society, and Ohio Association of Garden Clubs (accredited judge, instructor in judging schools, speaker, past president, and secretary). She was co-chairperson of the County-wide Horticultural Workshop in cooperation with the County Extension Service (1971-1972) and member of the Advisory Committee, Glen Helen Association, Yellow Springs, OH. An elected member of the honorary societies, Sigma Xi and Delta Kappa Gamma, Clara May also received numerous awards and honors, among them: Delta Kappa Gamma teaching honorary (1973); Governor's Award for Community Service (1974); Student Senate Distinguished Service Award from Urbana's students (1974); and Outstanding Woman in Ohio by the Women's Information Center, Columbus, OH (1978).
Clara May (Queen) Frederick was preceded in death by her husband Victor Ray Frederick, MD, whom she married on 27 June 1936, and by her son V. Ray Frederick, Jr., PhD. She is survived by two daughters, Barbara Ann Alderman of Winchester, VA, and Rosemary Kaufman of Bay City, TX; five grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; one sister, Mary Meuleman of Springfield, OH; three brothers, Roger Queen of Springfield, OH, Orin Queen of Dayton, OH, and John Queen of Jackson County, OH. A memorial service for Clara May Frederick was held 19 August 2000 at the First Presbyterian Church where she had been an elder. A private burial took place in Oakdale Cemetery, Urbana. Arrangements were by Littleton & Rue Funeral Home, Urbana. Tributes may be expressed to the family by sharing thoughts in her memorial guest book accessed on the internet <www.littleonandrue.com>.
WILLIAM R. BURK
William Furness Jenks (1909-1999)
William Furness Jenks, age 89, economic geologist of North and South America and former professor and chairman of the Department of Geology at the University of Cincinnati, died 18 March 1999, at Anna Jaques Hospital, Newburyport, MA, from complications after a stroke. Dr. Jenks edited (1956) the Handbook of South American Geology: An Explanation of the Geologic Map of South America (Geol Soc Am, Memoir 65) which remained the primary reference tool on the subject for numerous years. Joining The Ohio Academy of Science in 1956, Jenks affiliated with Section Geology, was elected a Fellow (1961), and became an emeritus member (1979).
William Furness Jenks, born 28 June 1909 in Philadelphia, PA, was the son of Horace Howard and Eloise Comstock (North) Jenks. After graduating from The Hill Friends School in Haverford, PA (1928), he attended Harvard University where he earned the AB cum laude(1932) and PhD in structural geology (1936). He completed the MA in geology (1933) at the University of Wisconsin. His Master's thesis entailed "The Geology of the Alkaline Stock at Pleasant Mountain, Maine." Based on similar research he published two articles (Am J Sci, 5th series 28:321-340. 1934; Am Mineralogist 19:476-479. 1934). His doctoral dissertation, "Geology of Portions of the Libby and Trout Creek Quadrangles, Montana and Idaho," focused on the structure and stratigraphy of the Belt Series rocks of these states. Several subsequent papers on this topic were published, among them (Am J Sci, 5th series 35:345-369. 1938, with Russell Gibson and Ian Campbell; and Bull Geol Soc of Am 52:363-380. 1941, with R. Gibson).
William (known as Bill), began his professional career as a junior geologist (1936-1938), Texas Company, Denver, and assistant geologist (1938-1940) and geologist (1940-1945), Cerro de Pasco Copper Corporation, Peru. In Peru he studied the stratigraphy and volcanology of the region. During his free time, he also studied the geology of this area as a means to interpret the mineralization.
Changing his attention to teaching and research, Jenks was named United States Department of State Visiting Professor, Universidad Nacional de San Agustin de Arequipa, Peru (1945-1946). While there, he produced the Geologia de la Hoja de Arequipaat 1:2000,000 (Geological Institute of Peru). Published in English and Spanish, the map was the first sheet or geological quadrangle issued in Peru. His work formed the foundation for understanding the stratigraphy of southern Peru. Jenks established the first field school of its kind in Peru and also trained Peruvian geologists. Returning to the United States, he continued his academic career, becoming an assistant professor (1946-1949) and associate professor (1949-1955), University of Rochester. Subsequently, he became a professor of geology at the University of Cincinnati (1955-1979). Here Jenks headed the Department of Geology and directed the University Museum (1955-1968). Concurrently he was a Fulbright lecturer, University of Tokyo (1962-1963). From 1956 to 1964, he spent summers, as a Consultant in Mexico, British Columbia, Yukon Territory, and the western region of the United States. Among his research interests were mineral deposits of South America, disseminated copper deposits, tertiary volcanic rocks of western North America, and massive concordant sulfide ore deposits. He was noted for his field teaching and field trips. Teaching courses in structural geology and ore deposits, he guided 14 graduate students.
Among professional associations he held memberships in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, American Geophysical Union, American Institute of Mining Engineering, Geological Society of America (Fellow), Society of Economic Geologists, Sociedad Geologica del Peru, and Societa Geologica Italiana. Elected to Sigma Xi, he also was an active member in the Rochester Association for the United Nations (director, 1950-1955; vice president, 1952-1954) and American Civil Liberties Union (chairperson chapter, 1976-1978). At the IX National Geology Congress, held 1997 in Peru, Jenks received the Doctorate Honoris Causa from the University of Arequipa where the new building housing the geology department now commemorates him. He was known as the "Father of Peruvian Geology."
After he retired (1979), he and his wife moved to Newburyport, MA. There he devoted his attention to the cause of social justice, civil liberties, world peace, and environmental issues. He was a coordinator of the Merrimack Valley Council of Nuclear Weapons Freeze (1982-1985). Jenks was also a leader in several movements, among them, Beyond War, the Newburyport/Bura Alliance, Andover People for Peace, and the Penn Center in South Carolina. An active member of the First Religious Society, Unitarian Universalist of Newburyport, he received this Society's highest award for lay people (1998).
Predeceased by his wife, Elizabeth (Pratt) Jenks, whom he married 10 June 1935, William Furness Jenks is survived by three daughters, Barbara Eloise Haack of West Newbury, MA, Margaret Carolyn Fenn of Hinesburg, VT (formerly of Chelmsford), and Helen Carnan Clarke who at the time of Jenks' death was working with the American Friends Service Committee in Cambodia; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. Memorial services were held 22 March 2001 at the First Religious Society of Newburyport. Memorial donations may be made to the charity of the contributor's choice. According to a memorial tribute by University of Cincinnati geologist, Leonard Larsen, "Bill Jenks was a generous and happy man whose uncompromising honesty made him somewhat Lincolnesque" (Memorials, Geol Soc Am 31:47-49. 2001).
WILLIAM R. BURK
Tillman Joseph Johnson (1910-2001)
Dr. Tillman Joseph Johnson, age 91, Associate Professor Emeritus of Botany at The Ohio State University, died 29 August 2001 at Grady Memorial Hospital, Delaware, OH. For 34 years, from 1946-1980, Johnson served in the University's Department of Botany, where initially he was hired as a staff microtechnician and photomicrographer. His experience in this discipline showed exemplary skills of the first order in histological techniques. After two years in that role, he was assigned additional duties of teaching in the general botany program, eventually becoming the faculty supervisor of the graduate teaching assistants in these elementary courses. His responsibilities to undergraduate education in botany were invaluable and deserve much more recognition than was accorded him.
An active member of The Ohio Academy of Science, Johnson joined in 1947 and affiliated with Section Plant Sciences. His major contribution was to the Junior Academy, serving as a member of its Council (1964-1972), a member (1963-1964), and chairman (1964-1972) of the steering committee for the Central District and Director of the Central Ohio District Annual Science Day (1964-1972). In the latter function, Johnson was responsible for the planning, organization, and operation for the Central District Science Day held on the campus of The Ohio State University, Columbus. For example, in 1965, 820 high school science projects from 84 high schools were displayed and evaluated. The efficient operation of this event for eight years was a tribute to Johnson's organizational ability, considerable dedicated work, and genuine interest in educating youth in general science. His excellent leadership as Director of the event was recognized with special thanks in letters from Gerald Acker, Director of the Junior Academy, and Alfred B. Garrett, vice-president for research at The Ohio State University.
Born 23 March 1910 in Beresford, Clay County, SD, to Joel and Ida C. (Berquist)Johnson, Tillman Johnson was raised by an uncle and aunt, Magnus and Anna Jensen, following the death of his parents by age 13. Young Johnson received his primary and secondary education in the public schools of Beresford. Following graduation from Beresford High School (1928), Tillman worked at various kinds of employment to earn money, which he used to assist his brother's college education. Later, Tillman saved his money so that by 1935 he entered the University of South Dakota. He combined his studies with part-time employment as an assistant in botany, and earned a BA in botany (1939) and a state teachers certification for secondary education. Tillman then became employed as a graduate teaching assistant and microtechnician while studying at the University of Oklahoma (1939-1941). In 1941, he married Martha V. Flowers in Oklahoma City.
During the next four and one-half years (1941-1946) during World War II, Tillman served in the United States Army Infantry, attaining the rank of captain. For his services, he received a Bronze Star Medal, four theatre of operation medals, and a unit citation medal. As Captain of his Company, he directed the release of war victims from a concentration camp in Germany.
Upon returning to the United States following discharge from the Army, Johnson re-entered the University of Oklahoma and continued his botanical studies and employment as a graduate teaching assistant and microtechnician. He completed his MS in botany with a thesis on the "Development of the Foliage Leaves of Vinca rosea L." (August 1946). In September 1946, Johnson was hired as a staff microtechnician and photomicrographer in the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology at The Ohio State University, Columbus, a position he held for 11 years. During that time, Tillman was engaged in the part-time teaching of general botany and in continuing his graduate studies, which he completed with a PhD in botany (1959). His dissertation, "Morphological Investigations of Hymenocallis notata (Cawl.) Herbert," was written under the direction of Professor Glenn W. Blaydes. In 1957, Johnson's status was changed to Instructor in Botany with his responsibilities primarily in the teaching of general botany. He was promoted to assistant professor (1962), associate professor (1968), and upon retirement to associate professor emeritus (1980). During the 1970s and 1980s, Johnson was responsible for the laboratory sections of the General Botany Program, and supervised the graduate teaching assistants in that educational effort. He further served as an advisor for many undergraduate students majoring in botany, and as a technical advisor in research methods for graduate students in botany.
The Botany Department Dandelion publication for the year 1956 was dedicated to Dr. Johnson. As part of that dedication the graduate students wrote, "Tillman is known as one who is unselfish and generous with his time, lends a hand with pleasure and care, and the results of his labors emphasize once again that meticulous care in one's work, whatever it may be, is a thing of beauty to behold." During the year 1971, several students nominated Tillman for an Alumni Distinguished Award. His major research interest was in the initiation and development of foliage leaves and flowers.
Professor Johnson held memberships in the Botanical Society of America and the American Institute of Biological Sciences. He was elected to the honorary societies of Phi Epsilon Phi, Sigma Xi, and Gamma Sigma Delta, and also to the military honorary fraternity, Scabbard and Blade. While at the University of Oklahoma as a member of the Graduate Men's Club, Tillman served as secretary-treasurer (1940-1941), and was designated president-elect (1941-1942) prior to entering military service. In 1991, Johnson and his wife moved to Delaware, but retained their membership in St. Andrews Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in northern Columbus. His major hobby was photography.
Tillman Johnson was married twice, first to Martha V. Flowers, who died in 1976, and to Elizabeth A. (Lewis) Everton, who died in 1994. From his first marriage his extended family is three children, Robert who died in 1949, Alan J. and wife Terry of Seymour, IN, and Mary Ann (Johnson) Carleton and husband John of Delaware, OH. The extended family of his second wife are children David Everton and wife Florilda of Memphis, TN; Janet (Everton) Stephenson and husband Ray of Milan, IL; and Marcia (Everton) Ihlendoff and husband Richard of Dublin, OH. Thirteen grandchildren and six great-grandchildren survive from both marriages, as well as a cousin, regarded as a sister, Dora Jensen of Beresford, SD. He was preceded in death by a sister and two brothers.
A memorial service was held 1 September 2001 at St. Andrews Christian Church, 1985 Swansford Drive at Smokey Row Road in Dublin, with the Reverend Morgan Wickizer officiating. Burial is to be at a later date during the year 2002 in Komstadt Church Cemetery at Beresford, SD. Memorial contributions are to made to the Komstadt Cemetery Fund in care of Robert Landon, 466567 302 Street, Beresford, SD 57004. The De Vore-Snyder Funeral Home, 75 West William Street, Delaware, OH, was in charge of the arrangements.
RONALD L. STUCKEY
Linda Sue (Martin) Schnipper (1960-1999)
Linda Sue (Martin) Schnipper, age 39, a science teacher at Wilson Junior High School in Hamilton, OH, died on 3 March 1999 of cancer. Nominated as Ohio Teacher of the Year in 1996, Schnipper was an ardent athlete. Joining The Ohio Academy of Science in 1985, she affiliated with Section Education.
Born 2 January 1960 in Cincinnati, OH, Linda Sue Martin was the daughter of Wayne and Helen (Kisker) Martin. After graduating from Talawanda High School in 1978, she entered Miami University, earning the BS Ed in Science (1982). While teaching science at Wilson Junior High School (1984-1998), she concurrently attended Miami University (Oxford, OH), earning a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in biology (1990). She also served as a resource teacher in Miami University's Project Discovery (1992-1996).
With strong interests in athletics, she played on the Miami University field hockey team, winning the 1981 MAC championship. An aerobics instructor and avid golfer, she was also an area hockey official (1984-1996).
Linda Sue (Martin) Schnipper is survived by her husband Michael Schnipper whom she married on 20 July 1990 in Hamilton, Bermuda; parents; and one sister, Ann Munz of Naples, FL. A memorial service was held at the Oxford Presbyterian Church where Linda had served as an usher and deacon. Contributions in her remembrance may be made to the Linda Martin Schnipper Christian Education Fund, Oxford Presbyterian Church, 101 N. Main Street, Oxford, OH 45056, or to the Miami University Field Hockey Program.
WILLIAM R. BURK
Clifford LeRoy Schrader (1937-2001)
Clifford LeRoy Schrader, age 63, Assistant Professor of Chemistry at the University of Akron, former science supervisor for Summit County Educational Service Center in Akron, OH, and longtime Chemistry teacher at Dover High School, Dover, OH, died 29 January 2001, at his home in New Philadelphia, OH, following a brief illness. In 1985 Dr. Schrader was selected third from 640 Ohio applicants for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Space Shuttle Teacher Alternate. Noted and respected as a chemistry educator, he wrote nearly 24 publications, among them two high school chemistry books, Heath Chemistry (co-authored), and Heath Chemistry: Computer Test Bank (co-authored with Susan C. Nurrenbern, J. Dudley Herron, and David V. Frank, 19931). A member of The Ohio Academy of Science since 1965, he affiliated with Section Science Education (membership chairperson, 1975-1976; vice president, 1976-1977), was elected into fellowship (1980), and served in leadership (Executive Committee, 1977-1980; chairperson, Research Grants Committee, 1980-1981). An active member of the Academy, he presented over 15 papers at its Annual Meetings. Recognized for his exceptional teaching, Schrader won the Frederick K. Krecker Award (1977) and the Acker Outstanding Teacher Award (1979), both jointly sponsored by Battelle Memorial Institute and the Academy.
Clifford LeRoy Schrader, born 16 April 1937 in Batesville, IN, was the son of Errett Cordt and Ethel Louise (Haessig) Schrader. Young Schrader earned all his collegiate degrees from Purdue University: the BS in chemistry and mathematics (1960), MS in physics and science education (1965), and PhD in science education (1971). During the academic year of 1969, he was a teaching assistant for Professor Ralph W. Lefler at Purdue. Related to his doctoral dissertation, "The Effect of the Timing of the Presentation of Two Subordinate Informational Concepts on the Cognitive Process of Synthesis," is an 89-paged publication of the same title, co-authored with Herron J. Dudley, and available from the Educational Resources Information Center as ERIC document #ED063564.
While enrolled at Purdue, he began his teaching career at Crawfordsville High School, Crawfordsville, IN (1960-1961), where he taught seventh grade arithmetic and directed plays. His career then took him to East Tipp High School, IN (1961-1963), teaching physics, chemistry, general science, algebra, and geometry, as well as coaching football, basketball, and golf. Schrader taught at Dover High School, Dover, OH (1963-1990), instructing primarily in chemistry (and on occasion general science) and serving as Chairperson of the Science Department (1963-1983). At Dover he was a coach of tennis and basketball and advisor to the academic challenge team, chess club, science club, and the varsity cheerleaders. Schrader became manager of the Ohio Department of Education's Hazardous Waste Removal Program, responsible for the removal of these wastes from science labs in the high schools of Ohio. During summers, he taught professional tennis.
Concurrently he was an instructor in mathematics (1965-1969), Tuscarawas County Branch of Kent State University. Following his high school teaching career, he became a science supervisor for Summit County Educational Service Center in Akron (1990-1998). He was also an adjunct professor at Ashland University (beginning 1985) and University of Akron (beginning 1993). Since the fall of 2000, Dr. Schrader became a visiting assistant professor of chemistry at University of Akron, teaching Honors Chemistry. He and colleague Julia Burdge (now at Florida Atlantic University) had proposed a course, Chemistry for Everyone, focused toward pre-service middle-level science teachers. After Schrader's death, Professor Burdge took over the proposal and developed and taught the course in the summer of 2001. By the fall of 2001 the course had attracted more students and become very successful.
In advancing his teaching skills, Schrader attended numerous professional workshops and meetings, including conferences sponsored by the National Science Teachers Association and OAS. He led workshops in 1983 on teaching chemistry at Longwood College and on the Dreyfus Institute Chemistry Materials at the annual meeting of the Science Education Council of Ohio. In advancing his education, he studied as a Shell Merit Fellow, Cornell University (1968) and Woodrow Wilson Fellow, Princeton University (1982). His research in teaching chemistry covered four areas: 1) Piagetian theory, 2) Bloom's taxonomy, 3) problem solving, and 4) mastery learning. According to Schrader, he believed that "every student is important." He sought "to teach every student as much as possible, not just the top 20% of students." He had hundreds of students who pursued careers in science, particularly in chemistry. In recognition of his exemplary teaching, Schrader received numerous commendations: Jaycees Outstanding Young Educator Award (1972), Ohio Presidential Award for Excellence in Science Teaching (1984), Dreyfus Master Teacher Award, Kiwanis Outstanding Teacher (1985), Dover Education Association Excellence in Teaching Award, John Vaughn Award for Excellence in Education, American Chemical Society Regional and James Bryant Conant Awards, and the Ashland Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching.
In professional organizations Schrader held memberships in the American Chemical Society (past president, Akron Chapter; member, Executive Committee, Wooster Section), Association of Presidential Awardees in Science Teaching (president, 1986-1989), Dover Education Association (member, Executive Committee), Indiana State Teachers Association, National Education Association, National Science Teachers Association, Northeast Ohio Education Association, Ohio Department of Education (Advisory Committee, 1987-1989), Ohio Education Association, Science Education Council of Ohio (past president), and Tippecanoe County Teachers Association (president, 1962-1963). A member of the honorary societies Phi Delta Kappa and Sigma Pi Sigma, he also belonged to MENSA. Concerned about community affairs, he was a cub scout leader; past president of the Tuscarawas Schools Credit Union; and member of the New Philadelphia Board of Education, New Philadelphia Park and Recreation Board, the Citizens for Human Concerns (committee chairperson for housing), and Citizens in Support of Schools. In sports, he was founder and president of the Tuscarawas Tennis Association and member of the Ohio Tennis Coachers Association, North East Ohio Tennis Association, and United States Tennis Association. He was a Sunday School teacher at the United Methodist Church, Dover, OH. Among his varied hobbies were reading, theater, and woodworking.
Clifford Schrader is survived by his wife Martha Solon Schrader whom he married 20 August 1960; two daughters, Pam Reising of Seattle, WA, and Emily Schrader of New Philadelphia; and one son, Paul Schrader of New Haven, CT; his mother; one sister, Luella Hughes of Indianapolis, IN; three brothers, Errett Schrader of Marion, IN, Eugene and William Schrader, both of Batesville, IN; and one granddaughter, Katelyn. A daughter, Valerie, predeceased him. Visiting hours were held 2 February 2001 in the Toland-Herzig Monarch Center, Dover. The following day memorial services were held in the First United Methodist Church, Dover, with Dr. David Oliver officiating. At his request, Clifford Schrader was cremated. Memorial contributions may be made to the First United Methodist Church, 1725 N. Wooster Avenue, Dover, OH 44622-2503 or to a charity of the donor's choice.
WILLIAM R. BURK
Mark Schulzinger (1938-2000)
Mark Schulzinger, age 61, psychologist, died 9 February 2000 in Phoenix, AZ, of cancer. He was a National Science Foundation Fellow (1966). An avid, life-long science fiction fan, Mark published a short story, "Sight" (Analog 106(11): 130-137. 1986). Joining The Ohio Academy of Science in 1966, Schulzinger affiliated with Section Anthropology and Sociology.
Born 26 September 1938 in Cincinnati, OH, Mark Schulzinger was the son of Harry and Dorothy Ann (Lapirow) Schulzinger. At the University of Cincinnati he earned the BS (1963) and MA (1965). His thesis entailed "Response Sets in a Structured Test Situation." Concurrently he was a laboratory technician at Procter & Gamble, Cincinnati (1958-1963). His early professional experiences as a private psychologist were in Cincinnati (1966-1969) and in Springfield, MO (beginning 1978). Schulzinger also held other positions: staff psychologist, Cave Run Comprehensive Care Center, Morehead, KY (1969-1971); director, Mental Health Center, Warrensburg, MO (1971); director of psychological services, Joplin (MO) Diagnostic Clinic (1971-1976); director of psychology, Springfield Mental Health Services Center (1977-1978); university teacher, University of Cincinnati, Miami University (Oxford, OH), Morehead State University (KY), and Kansas State University; and consultant for battered and abused women, Springfield Park Central Hospital (Springfield, MO). In community service, he was a lecturer, Board of Directors, Dogwood Trails Council, Girl Scouts of America. Elected to Sigma Xi, Mark was also a member of the American Academy for the Advancement of Science.
Mark's interest in science fiction began when he was a boy. As soon as he learned to read, he was reading science fiction literature. His father, who subscribed to Amazing Stories (the first publication dedicated solely to science fiction), provided a home rich with literature of this genre. Mark was an active member of the First Fandom, an organization consisting of readers, writers, and collectors of science fiction. While serving for several years as Secretary/Treasurer of this club, he organized its annual reunions and assured that its newsletter was issued on a timely basis. He also helped to establish several new annual awards, among them the First Fandom Posthumous Hall of Fame Award in 1994, which honor was bestowed on Mark on 30 September 2000; and the first Sam Moskowitz Award in 1998, given for outstanding accomplishments in science fiction collecting.
His wife Sally Ellen Jayne Schulzinger, whom he married on 17 December 1970, survives. Graveside services were held 11 February 2000 at Phoenix Memorial Park, Phoenix, AZ. Arrangements were made by the Sinai Mortuary of Arizona. Memorial contributions may be made to Kivel Care Center, 3020 N. 36th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85018.
WILLIAM R. BURK
John Paul Scott (1909-2000)
John Paul Scott, age 90, a Regents Professor Emeritus at Bowling Green State University, OH, for thirteen years, died 26 March 2000 at the Medical College of Ohio Hospital, Toledo. Scott's primary interests were in animal behavioral genetics, development, and social behavior. In his honor, Bowling Green State University named its new research center the J. P. Scott Center for Neuroscience, Mind, and Behavior. Dr. Scott joined The Ohio Academy of Science (1966), affiliated with Section Psychology (vice president, 1968-1969), was elected a Fellow (1971), and became an emeritus member (1980).
John P. Scott, born 17 December 1909, in Kansas City, MO, to John W. and Eulalia Vivian (Armstrong) Scott, was the second of six children. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Wyoming, majoring in zoology (1930). Awarded a Rhodes Scholarship to attend Oxford University, England, he took a first class in the honor school of natural science (1932) and completed a Bachelor of Arts degree (1932). Scott earned a PhD in zoology and developmental genetics (1935) from the University of Chicago. His dissertation entailed the embryology of guinea pigs, encountering the concept of critical periods that was destined to influence his later work. At the University of Chicago, Scott was a teaching assistant in zoology (1932-35). From there he became chairman of the Department of Zoology at Wabash College where he advanced from associate professor to professor (1935-1945). Scott moved to the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, ME, where he was chairman of the Division of Behavior Studies (1945-1957), advancing to senior staff scientist (1957-1965). While there, he served as a visiting professor of biopsychology at the University of Chicago (1958). He began his career at Bowling Green State University as a research professor and director of Graduate Studies in Psychology (1965-1967), and later was designated an Ohio Regents Professor (1968-1980). Concurrently, Scott was also the director of the Center for Research on Social Behavior. In 1980, he became Regents Professor of Psychology Emeritus. Scott was a research professor/visiting scholar in psychology at Tufts University (1982-1986), a visiting professor in biobehavioral sciences at the University of Connecticut (1984), and a faculty associate at the University of Chicago (1987-1988).
At the University of Chicago Scott worked on his PhD in zoology under the direction of Sewall Wright, the prime developer of the synthetic theory of evolution who had a major influence on Scott's thinking. While in Chicago, he also initiated research in behavior genetics, working with fruit flies in association with W. C. Allee, another individual who greatly influenced his research. When Scott moved to the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, he founded a new division of behavior studies in which he worked for 20 years, developing the program into a group of eight staff members and post-doctoral fellows. Scott's research interests were always informed by the great world events of his time and his concern with conducting research that might reduce violence, foster peace, and improve economic prosperity. Among his 237 publications was Animal Behavior (1958), an important early textbook in the field. His other books were: Aggression (1958), Early Experience and the Organization of Behavior (1968), Social Control and Social Change (with his wife Sarah) (1971), The Physiology of Aggression and Defeat (with B. Eleftheriou) (1972), Separation and Depression (with E. Senay) (1972), Guide Dogs for the Blind (with C. J. Pfaffenbeerger) (1976), Critical Periods (1978), and The Evolution of Social Systems (1989).
Dr. Scott was a Fellow in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Psychological Association, Animal Behavior Society, and the New York Zoological Society. He was an active member of the American Society of Zoologists, Ecological Society of America (chairman, Section of Animal Behavior and Sociobiology, 1957-1958), Genetics Society of America, Behavior Genetics Association (president, 1975-1976), International Society for Developmental Psychobiology (president, 1972-1973), International Society for Political Psychology (member governing council, 1983-1984), International Society for Research on Aggression (co-founder; president, 1973-1974; member council 19751990), Association for Politics and the Life Sciences, and the International Peace Society. In fraternal societies, he was elected to Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Beta Kappa, and Sigma Xi.
Dr. Scott received the following honors and awards: Honor Scholarship, University of Wyoming (1927-1930); Rhodes Scholarship, Oxford University (1930-1932); Jordan Prize, Indiana Academy of Science (1947); Marine Psychological Association (president, 1953-1954); Eugenics Society (vice president, 1963); Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences (fellow, 1963-1964); Ohio Regents Professorship (1968-2000); Special Achievement Award, Bowling Green State University (1974); Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Wyoming (1976); Honor Symposium. Animal Behavior Society (1983); Dobzhansky Award for Eminent Research, given by the Behavior Genetics Association, (1987); Alumnus Honored for Outstanding Achievement, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Wyoming (1990); Distinguished Animal Behaviorist Award for Outstanding Career in Animal Behavior, Animal Behavior Society (1990).
John Paul Scott married Sarah "Sally" Fisher, who died in September 1978. He then married Mary-Vesta Marston on 30 June 1979. She survives, as well as a son, James David Scott, both of Bowling Green; two daughters, Jean Scott Franck, Blacksburg, VA, and Vivian Scott Hixson of East Lansing, MI; a brother, Robert W. Scott, Bountiful, UT; a sister, Margaret Scott Filante, Philadelphia; and four grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a son, John Paul Scott, Jr. (1973). Burial was in Calais Cemetery, Calais, ME. Memorial contributions may be made to the J. P. Scott Center for Research in Neuroscience and Behavior; the J. P. Scott Jr. Memorial Fund at Trent University, Peterbourough, Ontario; Jackson Memorial Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME; or to the Sally Scott Memorial Fund in care of WBGU-TV, Bowling Green.
RELDA E. NIEDERHOFER
Paul Raymond Shaffer (1910-2000)
Paul Raymond Shaffer, age 90, geologist and former Professor of Geology at Ohio Wesleyan University and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, died 3 November 2000 at his home in Marysville, OH. Recognized for his outstanding contributions in geology, he received the Orton Award from The Ohio Stare University in 1964, the second University of Illinois geologist to receive the honor. Among his publications are two books, published by Golden Press in the popular series, A Golden Nature Guide Rocks and Minerals (co-authored with Herbert S. Zim, 1957, and subsequently reprinted in 1961 and 1966) and Fossils (co-authored with Frank H. T. Rhodes and Herbert S. Zim, 1962). Joining The Ohio Academy of Science in 1941, he affiliated with Section Geology and was elected a Fellow in 1946.
Born 18 October 1910 in Fostoria, OH, Paul Raymond Shaffer was the son of Joseph W. and Estella (Butler) Shaffer. After graduating from Fostoria High School, Fostoria, he matriculated at The College of Wooster (OH), earning the BA in geology (1935). In graduate school at The Ohio Stare University, Shaffer studied geology under the direction of Professor W. Storrs Cole, served as a Graduate Assistant (1937), and earned the MS (1937). Related to his thesis, "Pleistocene Geology of the Fostoria, Ohio, Quadrangle," he published an article in The Ohio Journal of Science (42:103-108. 1942). Continuing his studies in geology at OSU during the academic years 1937/38 and 1938/39, Shaffer was designated a Bownocker Scholar (1938-1939) and completed his general examinations for the doctorate degree. After several years of academic and commercial employment, he received the PhD in geology (1945). Associated with his dissertation, "Erosion Surfaces of the Southern Appalachians," he published a paper in the Journal of Geology (55:343-352. 1947).
Among his early work experiences were: sales person, Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company (1928-1929); clerk, Electric Auto-Lite Company (1929-1930); and truck driver and other positions, Ohio Farmers Grain and Supply Company (summers of 1930s). Shaffer's initial professional experiences were instructor in geology, University of New Hampshire (1939-1940), chief geologist, Ranney Water Collector Corporation, NY (1940-1944), associate professor and chairperson, Department of Geology, Ohio Wesleyan University (1944-1947), erosion engineer, State Department of Public Works, OH (1945-1947); and instructor, Conservation Laboratory, The Ohio State University (1945-1947). At the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, he advanced from assistant professor (1947-1948) and associate professor (1948-1953) to professor (1953-1968) and concurrently served as associate provost (1966-1968). From 1961 to 1962, Shaffer took a leave of absence to serve as program director, institutes section, National Science Foundation, Division of Scientific Personnel and Education, Washington, DC. During the summer of 1961, he was co-director of the first NSF-AGI International Field Institute. In August of the following year he directed a six-week seminar on modern science and mathematics in secondary schools at University College, Ibadan, Nigeria. While on leave from the Urbana-Champaign campus, he directed the International Science and Development Section, National Science Foundation, Washington, DC (1966-1968). He then became director of the International Programs Office, National Association of State Universities in Washington, DC (1968-1975). In geology his research interests were ground water, glacial geology, geomorphology, and shore erosion problems. He discovered and developed several groundwater supplies.
In organizations, he held memberships in the American Academy for the Advancement of Science, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, American Institute of Professional Geologists, Geological Society of America, Glaciological Society, National Association of Geological Teachers, and Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists. After retiring, Shaffer engaged in church and civic activities and also continued his involvement with academic and professional associations.
Preceded in death by his wife Gene E. (Hoppes) Shaffer whom he married in 1943, Shaffer is survived by one son, William H. Shaffer of Belchertown, MA; one daughter, Elizabeth A. (Betsy) Holland of Phoenix, AZ; and two grandchildren, Christopher James Holland and William Paul Shaffer. He was preceded in death by two brothers, George B. and Robert D. Shaffer; and one sister, Esther E. Shaffer. Memorial contributions may be made to Loving Care Hospice, 56 S. Oak Street, London, OH 43140-1024 or to a charity of the donor's choice. Underwood Funeral Home, Marysville, was in charge of arrangements.
WILLIAM R. BURK
Marcus Joseph Singer (1914-1994)
Marcus Joseph Singer, age 80, Henry Wilson Payne Professor Emeritus of Anatomy and former chairperson of the Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine and Professor of Biology and Co-Director of the Developmental Biology Center at Case Western Reserve University, died 8 October 1994 at his home in Cleveland Heights, OH, of congestive heart failure. He was a renowned researcher of regeneration and nervous tissue. A coordinator of the Medical Scientists Program at Case since 1971, he was a prolific author of scientific publications. Among his book publications are: The Human Brain in Sagittal Section, co-authored with P. I. Yakovlev (1954, 1964 second printing), and The Brain of the Dog in Section (1962). Joining The Ohio Academy of Science in 1964, Singer affiliated with Section Zoology, was elected a Fellow (1977), and became an emeritus member (1985).
Born 28 August 1914 in Pittsburgh, PA, Marcus (Marc) Joseph Singer was the sixth of eleven children of immigrant parents Benjamin and Rachel (Gershenson) Singer. While attending high school, Singer worked to support his family. Due to his heavy work schedule, he did not earn enough credits to graduate with his classmates. For the subsequent four years he worked days driving a truck and completed his high school credit requirements by attending night classes. After receiving his diploma, he entered the University of Pittsburgh where he earned the BS (1938), summa cum laude. That summer he studied at the Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole. There he learned from such eminent embryologists as Viktor Hamburger, Oscar Schotte, and Paul Weiss, among others. Singer then attended Harvard University, studying under the direction of Leigh Hoadley and receiving an MA (1940) and PhD in zoology (1942). His dissertation entailed "The Nervous System and Regeneration of the Fore-limb of Adult Triturus," under which title he published a series of seven articles in the Journal of Experimental Zoology (90:377-399. 1942, 92:297-315. 1943, 98:1-21. 1945, 101:221-239, 299-337. 1946, 104:223-249, 251-265. 1947). At Harvard he was Austin Teaching Fellow in Biology (11938-1939, 1941-1942) and a teaching fellow in zoology (1939-1941).
Receiving an instructorship in anatomy and working under the guidance of noted medical biologist George B. Wislocki at Harvard University's Medical School, Singer served as an assistant (1942-1944), instructor (1944-1945), associate (1946-1948), and assistant professor (1948-1951). Concurrently he was a tutor in biochemical science (1944-1948) and a visiting professor at Long Island College of Medicine, Brooklyn, NY (1950). His research at Harvard was considered so important that he was asked not to join the military during World War II.
Subsequently, he joined the faculty of the Department of Zoology and the Department of Child Development and Family Relationships, Cornell University, where he advanced from associate professor (1951-1953) to professor (1953-1961). While at Cornell, Singer was questioned in 1953 about his political affiliation by the United States House Un-American Activities Committee. Singer had become interested in the humanitarian aspects of communism in the early 1940s. During his hearings, he confirmed of having been a member of a club interested in communist topics; however, he never held a party card. Because he would not name others who belonged to the club at Harvard University between 1942-1951, he was convicted of contempt of Congress in 1956, fined $100 and given a three-month suspended sentence. A year later the United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia, set the conviction aside. The case was then sent back to the Federal District Court with instructions to enter a judgment of not guilty. During this period, Singer remained on the payroll of Cornell and conducted research; however, he was suspended from his teaching responsibilities for three years. Taking a sabbatical leave, he studied on a visiting fellowship at the Dutch Brain Institute, Amsterdam (1959).
In 1961, Singer joined the faculty at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) where he became Henry Wilson Payne Professor of Anatomy and chairperson of the Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, and professor of biology. He and his former Cornell University colleague Howard Schneiderman established at CWRU the Development Biology Center of which he became a co-director. After suffering a stroke in September 1979, he relinquished his administrative duties in 1980, but continued teaching anatomy until 1985. He was also noted for supporting causes of women students, especially when they had difficulty gaining recognition in the postgraduate laboratory and classroom.
In professional associations he held memberships in the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (fellow, 1958), American Association for the Advancement of Science (fellow, 1954), American Association of Anatomists (chairperson and member, Trust Fund, 1969-1970), American Neurological Association, American Society of Zoologists (president, Developmental Biology Division, 1965), Association for Research in Nervous and Mental Diseases, Biological Stain Commission, National Association on Standard Medical Vocabulary, New York Academy of Science, Royal Society of Medicine (affiliate member), Society for Developmental Biology, Society for Neuroscience (president, Cleveland Chapter, beginning 1971), Society for the Study of Development and Growth (treasurer, 1962-1963, member, Executive Committee), and Society of Zoologists. Among honorary societies, he was a member of Sigma Xi. Receiving a Guggenheim Fellowship (1966-1967), Singer was also awarded two visiting professorships in Israel at the Hadassah Medical School, Hebrew University, Jerusalem (April-June 1974), and in the Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva (April 1975-January 1976). He studied as a visiting scholar at the Institute of Endocrinology at Gunma University, Maebashi, Japan, and was a von Humboldt Senior Fellow in Koln, Germany (1980-1981). Dr. Singer assisted in the publication of two professional journals: Journal of Morphology (associate editor, 1961-1964, 1969-1972; managing editor, 1965-1969) and Journal of Experimental Zoology (associate editor, 1970-1971; editorial board, 1970-1973/1974). In the National Institute of Health he was a member of the Cell Biology Study Section (1971-1974) and Neurology B Study Section (July 1976-June 1979).
In honor and appreciation of his scientific contributions, Singer's friends and academic associates established The Marcus Singer Club, sponsoring an annual Marcus Singer Symposium, the first being held 25 June 1982 at CWRU. The symposia focus on developmental biology and regeneration. The proceedings of the sixth International Marcus Singer Symposium, published under the title "Regeneration and Development" (1988), contains an autobiographical sketch by Singer and a list of his publications. Two tributes to Singer, each with a portrait, were published. One is by Ruth H. Nordlander, Margaret W. Egar, and Susan V. Bryant, Singer's former postgraduate fellows (Dev Biol 169(2):iv-vi. 1995). The other is a chapter in Cellular and Molecular Basis of Regeneration by Margaret W. Egar and Janet McCrede (1998, pp. 1-6).
At the time of his death, Marcus Joseph Singer was survived by his wife Leah Horelick Singer whom he married 8 June 1938 (and later divorced); two sons, Robert H. Singer of Shrewsbury, MA, and Jon Fredric Singer of Cleveland Heights, OH; four sisters, Edythe Neiberg, Irene Kramer, and Anne Miller, all of Pittsburgh, PA, and Rhoda Hirsch of Buffalo, NY; two brothers, Melvin Singer of Pittsburgh, and Harry Singer of Boston, MA; and three grandchildren. Services were held 11 October 2001 in Pittsburgh.
WILLIAM R. BURK
James Franklin Smith (1919-1991)
James Franklin Smith, age 71, resident of Columbia, MD, and former Chief Civilian Entomologist for the United States Department of the Army, Chief of Engineers in Washington, DC, died on 16 February 1991 of a heart attack. Serving 35 years as an entomologist, Smith was also a member of the Department of Army Pest Management Board. Joining The Ohio Academy of Science in 1952, he affiliated with Section Zoology.
Born 17 May 1919, in Greenup County, KY, James Franklin Smith was the son of the Reverend William M. and Nola (Gayhart) Smith. He graduated from McDermott High School, McDermott, OH. In the United States Army Air Force he was a navigator instructor (1941-1945). At The Ohio State University Smith earned a BS in education (1949) and MS in entomology (1951). He completed his thesis, "Laboratory Tests to Compare the Toxicity of Several Organic Insecticides when Used as Rodent Tracking Poisons on Mice," under the supervision of entomologist Dwight M. DeLong. Smith published an article on the control of chiggers in city lawns of Ohio (Ohio J Sci 51:203-204. 1951, co-authored with D. M. DeLong).
In scientific organizations he held memberships in the American Institute of Biological Sciences, American Mosquito Association, American Registry of Professional Entomologists, and Entomological Society of America. A member of the American Legion, Baltimore Post, he was also a life member of the National Rifle Association. In addition to his professional career as an entomologist, Smith enjoyed pastimes of hunting, fishing, and reading.
At the time of his death, James Franklin Smith was survived by his wife, Miriam E. (Porter) Smith of Columbia, MD; and three sisters, Essie Compton of Cole Park, West Portsmouth, OH, and Lois Slye and Mildred Thompson, both of Lucasville, OH. Visitation hours were held 18 February 1991 at the LeRoy M. and Russell C. Witzke Funeral Home, Columbia, MD. Visiting hours were also held 20 February 1991 at McKinley Funeral Home, Lucasville, OH. Memorial services were given at Bethany Baptist Church, Rushtown, OH, with Greg Compton, minister, officiating. Burial took place in Rushtown Cemetery, with graveside military rites by William A. Baker Post American Legion.
WILLIAM R. BURK
Myron Thomas Sturgeon (1908-2001)
Dr. Myron T. Sturgeon, Professor Emeritus of Geology at Ohio University, died at age 93 of heart failure on 24 May 2001 at Doctors Hospital in Nelsonville, OH. "Doc" Sturgeon, as he was affectionately known to many friends, colleagues, and students, had a long career focused on Ohio geology, particularly Pennsylvanian-age rocks and fossils in eastern Ohio. In 1977 he was presented with the Orton Award for outstanding alumni of the Department of Geology at The Ohio State University. At the Sesquicentennial celebration of the Ohio Geological Survey in 1987, he was awarded the first Mather Medal, named after Ohio's first State Geologist, in recognition of his outstanding career-long contributions to the knowledge of the geology of Ohio. He joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1935 and was elected a fellow in 1945. He was an active member of the Geology Section of the Academy, served as vice-president of this section (1948-1949), and was instrumental in hosting Academy meetings and visiting many Ohio high schools on behalf of the Academy.
Myron T. Sturgeon, son of Thomas H. and Leona Borton Sturgeon, was born on 27 April 1908 in Salem, Columbiana County, OH, and graduated in 1927 from Salem High School. Growing up in the heart of Ohio's coal country fostered an interest in geology that was further enhanced by his undergraduate education in geology with Professor George F. Lamb at Mount Union College in Alliance, OH. This foundation provided the inspiration for Doc's lifelong research on these rocks and fossils. After graduation in 1931, he pursued graduate studies at The Ohio State University, earning an MS in 1933 and a PhD in 1936. His thesis and dissertation topics both dealt with Pennsylvanian fossils and were completed under the direction of Dr. Grace A. Stewart. During these graduate-student years, Myron became acquainted with the Ohio Geological Survey and State Geologist Wilber Stout. During the summer of 1935 he was employed as a field geologist for the Geological Survey and thus began a long association.
In 1937, Doc Sturgeon began his teaching career in geology at Michigan State Normal College, now Eastern Michigan University, in Ypsilanti, MI, where he stayed until 1946 when he accepted a position in the Department of Geology and Geography at Ohio University in Athens, OH.
During his teaching tenure in Michigan, Doc returned almost every summer to study the rocks and fossils of eastern Ohio. At Ohio University, he moved up the ranks to professor and from 1954 to 1970 he served as department chairman. He assumed the position of Professor Emeritus upon his mandatory retirement at age 70 (1978). After his retirement, which he reluctantly accepted, he maintained an office at the department and continued his research on Pennsylvanian fossils. Doc might be described as being of "the old school of practical geologists" that believed geology could best be studied in the field where the rocks and fossils reside. Nonetheless, his personal library and specimen collections were superb. Nearly every geology class he taught, from physical and historical geology to paleontology and stratigraphy, included many Saturdays, and sometimes whole weekends, in the field observing rocks and collecting fossils. Through these dedicated efforts that spanned some 70 years, he amassed a collection of well-documented Pennsylvanian-age fossils that number more than 50,000 specimens. Doc's specimens are now housed in the collections of the Orton Geological Museum of the Department of Geological Sciences at The Ohio State University, where they are readily available for study.
Dr. Sturgeon continued field work and research until recent years when a broken leg, suffered during one of his daily walks, and gradual memory loss forced eventual residence in a nursing facility. Doc's goal was not only to amass one of the largest collections in the world of Pennsylvanian-age fossils, but also to study, describe, and document them in a series of publications. In 1948, under the sponsorship of the Ohio Geological Survey, Doc began field work in Athens County, OH, in order to assemble a bulletin on the geology of this district. As was typical of his approach to all endeavors, which demanded thoroughness and attention to detail, he spent every summer for nearly a decade measuring stratigraphic sections of bedrock outcrops in the county and documenting other geologic features. The Ohio Geological Survey published his findings, Bulletin 57: The Geology and Mineral Resources of Athens County, Ohio (1958). This 600-page treatise has been called the most comprehensive of any county geologic report in the nation. The data in this report are currently being used by a new generation of geologists to develop depositional models and interpretations of coal-bearing strata.
To further the publication of his work on the fossils of southeastern Ohio, Doc enlisted the assistance of fellow researcher Dr. Richard D. Hoare of Bowling Green State University and other paleontologists. From 1968 through 1997 the Ohio Geological Survey published a series of his monographs describing Ohio's Late Paleozoic fossils, including Bulletin 63: Pennsylvanian Brachiopods of Ohio (1968); Bulletin 67: Pennsylvanian Marine Bivalves and Rostroconchia of Ohio (1979); Report of Investigation 142: Pennsylvania Trilobites of Ohio (1989); and Bulletin 71: Pennodvanian Cephalopods of Ohio (1997). Dr. Sturgeon and his associates also published numerous papers on these fossils in scientific journals and many of his students completed theses and dissertations that were based on his fossil collection.
Doc Sturgeon was not only a dedicated educator and researcher, he also was a member of many geological and conservation organizations. In 1955, Governor Frank Lausche appointed him to the Natural Resources Commission of the newly formed Ohio Department of Natural Resources. He served on this advisory council for 20 years, the last three as chairman (1973 to 1975). In this role he was able to obtain internships for a number of his students, which were instrumental in launching their careers in the geological sciences, including a writer of this memorial. In 1979, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources recognized Doc Sturgeon's contributions with its coveted Conservation Achievement Award. In addition to the Ohio Academy of Science, he was also a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Geological Society of America, Paleontological Society, Paleontological Association (London), Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists, International Paleontological Association (Oslo), and Ornithological Union, as well as several local conservation organizations.
Doc Sturgeon also owned and operated a modest family farm on Robinson Ridge Road near Athens, OH. Here he instituted wise conservation practices and set aside portions of the farm as wildlife habitat. As students, several of us worked at the farm spreading manure or harvesting crops, usually not for pay but for packages of beef from steers butchered on the farm. Doc's dedicated work and service was accomplished despite the fact that he was a Type I diabetic (insulin-dependent) since his days as a graduate student. He conscientiously controlled this condition and often remarked that his longevity was attributable to good genes as his father Thomas Sturgeon lived until his mid-90s, and that he should have an image of a pig on his tombstone as a reminder of the source of insulin that kept him alive and active so many years. Doc gave inspiration to many students and taught them the fundamentals of geology and geologic fieldwork. A large number of his students went on to successful geologic careers as university professors, agency researchers and administrators, and industry geologists. His many students initiated the Myron T. Sturgeon Honor Fund in 1974 to provide funding for his continued research activities and to assist with student loans and scholarships and equipment purchases for the Department of Geological Sciences at Ohio University.
The death of his wife, Carolyn Wolter Sturgeon in 1990, was a tragic loss for Doc. He had met her in his early teaching days and she had supported his work through the years. His daughters, Lynn Sturgeon of Athens and Sharon (Sal) DeMaria of Poway, CA, survive Dr. Sturgeon. Two granddaughters, Christina and Michelle DeMaria; a sister, Virginia Worman of Salem, OH; and two brothers, Franklin Sturgeon of Elkton, OH, and Walter Sturgeon of East Palestine, OH, also survive. His many friends, colleagues, and students will remember him fondly for the remainder of their lives, and his contributions to geology will survive far longer. Graveside services were held at Clarks Chapel Cemetery in Athens, OH, on Saturday, 26 May 2001. Memorial contributions can be made to the Myron T. Sturgeon Honor Fund, Ohio University Foundation, PO Box 869, Athens, OH 45701.
CHARLES E. HERDENDORF AND MICHAEL C. HANSEN
Mildred Marie (Danklefsen) Walmsley (1908-2001)
Mildred Marie (Danklefsen) Walmsley, age 92, former Associate Professor of Geography at Case Western Reserve University, died 10 March 2001 at Judson Retirement Community, Cleveland, OH. Devoting nearly 30 years to college teaching, Professor Walmsley taught the nation's first televised geography course offered for college credit. In The Ohio Academy of Science she joined (1950), affiliated with Section Geography (membership chairperson, 1952-1953; vice president, 1953-1954), was elected a Fellow (1951), and was accorded emeritus status (1975). An active member of the Academy, she presented papers in geography (1952, 1953, 1956-1959, 1964, and 1965) and was a member of the Institutional Membership Committee.
Born 18 September 1908 in Briceton, OH, Mildred Marie Danklefsen was the daughter of Sankey and Emma (Sutter) Danklefsen. After graduating from Bellevue High School in Huron County, OH (1927), she attended Bowling Green State College (now University), earning a two-year teaching degree (1929). Mildred then taught at the Bellevue public schools (1929-1942) during which time she returned to the Bowling Green campus, receiving a BS in education (1939). In 1942 she enrolled in the School of Geography, Clark University where she was a University Scholar (1942-1943) and received advanced degrees (MA, 1943; PhD, 1952). Her Master's thesis entailed "A Geographic Study of Bellevue and Vicinity, Ohio." Her doctoral studies, supported with a University fellowship (1947-1949), culminated with the dissertation, "Recent Trends in the Sugar Industry of Jamaica." Based on her doctoral research, she presented a paper at the 49th annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers and published an abstract in the Association's Annals (43:163-164. 1953).
In 1943 she joined the faculty of the Department of Geology and Geography, Western Reserve University (WRU) (now Case Western Reserve University). Following several years of teaching as an instructor (1943-1947 and 1949-1952), she advanced in the academic ranks from assistant professor (1952-1971) to associate professor (1971-1974). She retired in 1974. During World War II, Mildred presented lectures on geography and related topics to pre-flight Air Force students stationed at WRU. She also gave lectures on geographic subjects to Air Force students at WRU. During her academic career, Professor Walmsley taught a variety of courses: Fundamentals of Geography, Regional Geography of Anglo-America, Geography of Exploration and Settlement, Conservation of Natural Resources, Economic Geography, Meteorology, Cartography and Graphics (laboratory session), Raw Materials and International Affairs, and Climates of the Continents. On occasion she also taught Physical Geology. Mildred's students experienced her sense of humor whenever trick questions appeared on their exams. She was known to slip a sample of rock candy into samples of rocks and minerals for identification. She sometimes asked students to locate nonexistent places, such as Islets of Langerhams (part of the pancreas) or Dire Straits.
Mildred was a pioneer in teaching by television. In the United States only one other person taught a televised course for college credit before she presented Fundamentals of Geography by television in 1951. On the syllabus of this course (Geography 101) she used the term telecourse. In an article, "Televising Geography," (J Geo 52:253-257. 1953), she described this new teaching technique. Developing opportunities in television as a teaching medium, Mildred chaired the television committee of the National Council of Geography Teachers (now National Council for Geographic Education). Her geographical research took her to the West Indies, Northern Europe, Yukon Territory of Alaska, and various regions of Canada, including the Canadian Arctic. Among her publications is The Heckewelder Map 1796, a 27-page booklet, co-authored with Mary Lou Conlin (Western Reserve Historical Society Publication, No. 121). The text was issued in 1968 on the occasion of reprinting the Heckewelder map that includes the Connecticut Western Reserve.
Among the numerous University committees on which Mildred served, she provided leadership on the Mather Faculty Council (secretary), Mather Library Committee (chairperson), and Staff of the Department of Geology and Geography (secretary). Outside academia, Professor Walmsley presented workshops in science for local primary school teachers. Frequently presented topics were rocks, minerals, fossils, and the geology of the Cleveland area. A well-liked lecturer in the greater Cleveland area, she gave talks in local churches and community centers.
In professional associations Mildred held memberships in the American Association of University Professors (treasurer, Western Reserve Chapter, 1955-1956), American Geographical Society, Association of American Geographers (secretary, East Lakes Division, 1953), National Council for Geographic Education, and Northeastern Council of Geographic Teachers (past president). Among honorary societies she was a member of Sigma Xi (secretary, Western Reserve Chapter, 1956-1959; member, Membership Committee, 1960-1962).
Surviving Mildred Marie (Danklefsen) Walmsley are two brothers, Ralph Danklefsen of Tucson, AZ, and Earl Danklefsen of Bellevue, OH. Her husband, William E. Walmsley, an attorney, whom she married 9 July 1958, preceded her in death in 1973. Busch-Saxton-Parker-Daniels Family Chapel of Lakewood, OH, was in charge of arrangements. Memorial contributions may be made to Hope Lutheran Church, 2222 N. Taylor Road, Cleveland, OH 44112.
WILLIAM R. BURK
NAME DATE OF DEATH YEAR JOINED Harold E. Bigony January 1998 1949 Robert Bowman 4 November 1996 1979 David C. Chandler 8 November 2001 1939 Nancy R. Clendenon ? 1967 Margaret Fulford 28 November 1999 1927 H.R. Heckendorn 31 December 2000 1964 Ernest J. Klotz 9 July 2000 1968 Francis J. Jankowski 6 July 2001 1970 George T. Jones 5 March 1998 1929 Gertrude Masters 9 February 1989 1951 Wallace H. Metcalf 12 May 2000 1980 Eugene E. Mihalyka May 1996 1960 Beatrice H. Sellner 9 May 2001 1963 Paul B. Taylor 31 July 1989 1956 Kenneth A. Walsh 4 November 1999 1972 The following obituaries appear in the 2001 Report: Page Daniel Raymond Atzenhoefer (1913-2000) 103 Noah Wilson Britt (1913-2001) 103 William Franklin Davis (1926-1991) 104 Robert Betzel Elliott (1926-2001) 105 Warren Chase Ellis, Jr. (1919-1999) 105 Clara May (Queen) Frederick (1916-2000) 105 William Furness Jenks (1909-1999) 106 Tillman Joseph Johnson (1910-2001) 107 Linda Sue (Martin) Schnipper (1960-1999) 108 Clifford LeRoy Schrader (1937-2001) 108 Mark Schulzinger (1938-2000) 109 John Paul Scott (1909-2000) 109 Paul Raymond Shaffer (1910-2000) 110 Marcus Joseph Singer (1914-1994) 110 James Franklin Smith (1919-1991) 111 Myron Thomas Sturgeon (1908-2001) 111 Mildred Marie (Danklefsen) Walmsley (1908-2001) 112
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Author:||Stuckey, Ronald L.|
|Publication:||The Ohio Journal of Science|
|Date:||Dec 1, 2001|
|Previous Article:||Mysteries of the Hopewell: Astronomers, Geometers, and Magicians of the Eastern Woodlands. (Book Review).|
|Next Article:||111th Annual Meeting The Ohio Academy of Science Hosted by Capital University Columbus, Ohio April 5-6-7, 2002.|