Printer Friendly

Obituaries of the members of the Ohio Academy of Science report of the Necrology Committee, 2003.

The Necrology committee of The Ohio Academy of Science, chaired since 1992 by Historian-Archivist Ronald L. Stuckey, consists of William R. Burk, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, Christopher Cumo, Canton, OH, and Relda E. Niederhofer, Firelands College of Bowling Green State University, Huron, OH. The committee expresses its gratitude to the following individuals and institutions for providing information: Kathy Allen, Magrath Library, University of Minnesota; Roland Baumann and David H. Benzing, Oberlin College; Kennard B. Bork, Denison University; Steve Clemants, Torrey Botanical Society; Mrs. Marie Elmer; Andrea B. Goldstein, Harvard University Archives, Cambridge, MA; Bertha Ihnat and Bruce Leach, The Ohio State University Libraries; Wanda Lovan, The Botanical Society of America; Mary Plazo, Special Collections Division, Akron-Summit County Public Library; Bob Schmidt, Michael Vincent, Linda E. Watson, Miami University, Oxford, OH; and K. Roger Troutman, Mansfield, OH. The Academy office files may contain additional published and unpublished information on the deceased members treated in this report.

The committee is seeking volunteers to provide information or to write obituaries on deceased members of the Academy whose obituaries have not yet been written for The Ohio Journal of Science. Please contact The Ohio Academy of Science if you can assist in this effort. A two-page outline of instructions for preparation on obituaries in The Ohio Journal of Science, written by Ronald L. Stuckey, is available from the author or the Academy office.

The following is a list of deceased members of the Academy with the year joined and date of death, if known, whose obituaries have not yet been published in The Journal.
 NAME DATE OF DEATH YEAR JOINED

John B. Brown 17 February 2003 ??
Thomas Jones Byers 21 September 2003 ??
Robert M. Crowell 25 November 2001 ??
Ray J. Everly ?? 1985 1928
Mark B. Gorman 18 August 2001 1989
Howard C. Hopps ?? September 1999 1983
Floyd L. James 22 November 2001 ??
Paul W. Ruksha ???? ??
Ray Smithson, Jr. 30 December 2002 ??

The following obituaries appear in the 2003 Report: PAGE

Audrey Elizabeth (Jones) Bland (1917-2003) 148
Clarence Floyd Clark (1912-2002) 148
Otto Charles Elmer (1918-2001) 149
William Samuel Floyd, Jr. (1932-2001) 149
Charles Heimsch (1914-2003) 150
George Tallmon Jones (1897-1998) 150
James Edward Leslie (1924-2003) 152
Arthur Leroy Lutz (1908-2002) 152
Richard Harold Mahard (1915-2002) 153
Theodore Lee Miller (1940-2003) 154
Harold Lawrence Porter (1914-2002) 154
Robert Roy Smithers (1924-2003) 155
Edith Louise (Ackerman) Troutman (1939-2003) 155
Alfred Jack Wilfong, Sr. (1914-2002) 156


Audrey Elizabeth (Jones) Bland (1917-2003)

Audrey Elizabeth (Jones) Bland, age 86, former science teacher at Perry Middle School in Worthington, OH, respectively, died of heart failure 19 March 2003 at Wesley Glen Health Center, Worthington, OH. A chemist, administrator, and educator, Mrs. Bland served both public and private agencies. In 1966 she joined The Ohio Academy of Science.

Born 15 February 1917 in Washington, DC, Audrey Elizabeth Jones was the daughter of Dr. Furman and Mrs. Estelle Jones. Miss Jones received a Bachelor's Degree in chemistry from Hunter College in New York City and a Master's Degree in psychology from Temple University in Philadelphia, PA.

Audrey Elizabeth Bland was a chemist with various federal agencies in Washington, DC. After moving to Worthington, OH, she became Director of Rehabilitation and Personnel at Goodwill Industries. In 1973 Mrs. Bland began teaching science at Perry Middle School in Worthington, OH, from which she retired in 1981.

In addition to her membership in The Ohio Academy of Science, Mrs. Audrey Bland was a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; the American Chemical Society; the Pennsylvania Academy of Science; the American Association of University Women; the Worthington Historical Society; the American Medical Association Alliance; Delta Sigma Theta Sorority; Northeasterners, Inc.; Girl Friend Inc.; and a life member of the Women's Service Board of Grant Hospital, Project Hope, and the YWCA.

A 36-year member of St. John's Episcopal Church in Worthington, OH, Audrey Bland volunteered as a science and mathematics tutor for students after school at the church. She chaired the Pastoral Care Committee and kept records of Sunday morning offerings to St. John's.

Surviving Audrey Elizabeth (Jones) Bland are cousins, nieces, and nephews. Her husband Dr. Earl Bland, her parents Dr. Furman and Mrs. Estelle Jones, her brothers Dr. Furman Jones and Dr. Vernon Jones, and her sister Evelyn Richardson predeceased her. Reverend Arthur Hadley, Pastor of St. John's Episcopal Church, presided over Mrs. Bland's memorial service, 4 April 2003. She was interred that day at Walnut Grove Cemetery, Worthington. Friends may make memorial contributions to St. John's Episcopal Church, 700 High Street, Worthington, OH 43085. Retained on file in the office of The Ohio Academy of Science, Columbus, is an obituary on page B5 of the 1 April 2003 Columbus Dispatch.

CHRISTOPHER CUMO

Clarence Floyd Clark (1912-2002)

Clarence Floyd Clark, age 89, died 26 March 2002 in Tempe, AZ. An author and expert in the management, culture, and life histories of fish, Clark was employed for many years by the Ohio Division of Wildlife in the State Department of Natural Resources. From the Division he received an award for the best article published during 1951 in the Ohio Conservation Bulletin. In the January 1952 issue of the Ohio Conservation Bulletin, Clark was named "Man in the Field" for the Division of Wildlife. The same Division honored him with an award for his research on the northern pike, as well as writing the best original contribution in the field of wildlife management (1956). Clark received the Ohio Wildlife Management Association's Annual Award for his research on the northern pike (1955) and for his publication on the "Birds of the Lake St. Mary's Area" by the Ohio Division of Wildlife (1971) in western Ohio. He served as president of the North Central Association of American Fisheries Society (1965-1966).

Clarence Clark joined The Ohio Academy of Science (1943), was elected a fellow (1948), and served as vice-president of the Natural Resources (Conservation) Section (1971-1972).

Born 26 May 1912 to Claude V. and Margaret (Mossoney) Clark in southern Paulding County, OH, Clarence Floyd Clark was reared in the town of Paulding where he graduated salutatorian from Paulding High School. He attended Defiance College and graduated with a B.S. in Education from Miami University (1934), and received the M.S. degree in Zoology from The Ohio State University (1942). Most of his work toward the master's degree was completed at the Franz Theodore Stone Laboratory, Put-in-Bay, OH, where he was a student during the summers of 1936, 1937, 19401942. His thesis written at the Laboratory under the direction of Thomas H. Langlois was on "The Fishes of Auglaize County, Ohio" (1942).

In July 1936, Laboratory Director Raymond Osburn told student Clark that Professor Edwin L. Moseley of Bowling Green State University was coming to the Laboratory and wanted to travel by boat to make a population study of the great blue heron bird colony on West Sister Island. Clark, who became a close friend of Moseley, described how Moseley endured motion sickness on the trip during a lake storm. The details of that adventure and other stories that Clark related about the eccentric Professor were printed on pages 44-46 in our book, Edwin Lincoln Moseley Naturalist, Scientist, Educator, RLS Creations, Columbus, OH (1998).

Clark taught general science and biology in Brown Township High School at Oakwood, OH (1935-1937). His professional career in fisheries propagation and management was with the Division of Wildlife in the State of Ohio Department of Natural Resources (1937-1969), where he held the title of fish management agent for northwestern Ohio with headquarters in St. Mary's, OH. He was promoted to assistant supervisor of fish management for Ohio (1957-1960) and relocated to Columbus. His promotions continued and he became supervisor of fish production and investigation (1960-1963), assistant supervisor of fish management and research (1963-1969), and research professor in fisheries and fish culture in the School of Natural Resources, College of Agriculture, The Ohio State University (1969-1971). He served as an advisor for graduate students in fisheries research and participated in various committees, including The Ohio Mosquito Control Committee. Following retirement he became a private consultant in environmental problems related to fish propagation and management and problems with freshwater mussels (1972-1980). He then relocated to Tempe, AZ.

Throughout his career in fish management and research, Clark developed a method for propagating creek chubs for bait, made one of the first studies on the loss of fish from an artificial lake over a waterweir, rediscovered the pirate perch after it had been considered extinct for many years, and developed methods for the culture of muskellunges. His publications in scientific and popular periodicals pertained to fish management, birds, mollusks, and the history of water areas in northwestern Ohio. They were published mostly in reports of the Ohio Division of Wildlife and the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, and in the periodicals Progressive Fish Culturist, American Midland Naturalist, Transactions of North American Wildlife Conference, Wilson Bulletin, The Auk, Copeia, Steckiana, Ohio Conservation Bulletin, and The Ohio Journal of Science. Clark's comprehensive 176-page "Bibliography of Ohio Fish, Fisheries, and Fish Management" (1989) in typescript is deposited in the manuscript collection at the Hayes Presidential Center, Fremont, OH.

Clark was a member of the American Association of Fisheries Research, American Fisheries Society, American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, Maumee Valley Naturalists Club, the Miami University Speakers Bureau, and Ohio Wildlife Management Association (secretary). He was a fellow in the International Academy of Fisheries Scientists and in the American Institute of Fishery Research Biologists. He was elected a member of Tau Kappa Alpha, Phi Sigma, and Kappa Phi Kappa.

Beyond professional life, he was a member of the Masonic Lodge and a Past High Priest of the Masonic Chapter, a former assistant Scout Master, neighborhood Scout Commissioner, and a district committeeman. His hobbies were fishing, duck and goose shooting, flower gardening, bird and clam study, and coin and stamp collecting.

In 1934, Clarence Floyd Clark married Kathleen Armstrong to whom was born one son, Clarence Lee. Information concerning his death, surviving family members, and final rites has not been learned following attempts to obtain obituaries from libraries in Paulding, OH, and Tempe, AZ.

RELDA E. NIEDERHOFER RONALD L. STUCKEY

Otto Charles Elmer (1918-2001)

Otto Charles Elmer, age 83, organic chemist and former Group Leader of GenCorp in Akron, OH, died at his home 16 October 2001 from Parkinson's disease and cancer. While serving in the United States Army (1945-1946), he translated German documents. Throughout his career, Dr. Elmer was a leader of the Akron Section, American Chemical Society, in which he served in various offices and earned their Award for service. An author of several articles on polymer and rubber chemistry, he held 27 patents concerning petroleum additives, polymer and rubber technology, and urethane. In 1972, he joined The Ohio Academy of Science, affiliating with Section Chemistry and becoming an Emeritus member in 1986.

Born in Vienna, Austria, 8 January 1918, Otto Charles Elmer was the son of John and Henrietta Elmer. After immigrating to the United States in 1941, he attended Bluffton College, earning a B.A. (1943) in chemistry. Pursuing graduate work at the University of Minnesota, he received the Ph.D. (1948) in organic chemistry. His dissertation, "The Mechanism of Decarboxylation of (Alpha-Beta)-and (Beta, Gamma)--Unsaturated Acids," was subsequently published, in part (Journal of the American Chemical Society72: 4359-4361. 1950). While a graduate student, he served as an assistant at Cadeton College (1943-1944) and the University of Minnesota (1944- 1945, 1946-1948).

Dr. Elmer's initial professional position was with Texaco, Inc. in New York, as a research chemist. His later positions were at The General Tire and Rubber Company (1948-1983) where he advanced consecutively as Chemist, Group Leader, and lastly Senior Research Scientist. In research he focused on synthetic glycerides, autoxidation, reaction mechanisms, heterocycles, synthetic lubricants, lubricant additives, polymer chemistry, urethane elastomers and coatings, and tire cord adhesives. After retiring in 1983, Elmer served the academic community as lecturer at the University of Akron and as a Research Associate at Kent State University.

In scientific associations, Dr. Elmer held memberships in the American Chemical Society (ACS) and American Institute of Chemists (president, Ohio chapter) and Ohio Institute of Chemists (chairman, 1971, 1972; recipient of their Honor Scroll). In the ACS, he actively served the Akron (OH) Section as treasurer (1966), chair (1970), and councilor or alternate councilor (1971-1990); and he chaired numerous committees and special events. While chair of the Akron section of ACS, he started a forum for retired chemists and chemical engineers, called C.E.O's (Chemists, Engineers, and Others). He also was instrumental in establishing the Akron Polymer Conference, now an annual event. Civically active, he supported career days and science fairs in the Akron region. Among his hobbies were playing tennis and stamp collecting. Concerning the latter pastime, he was a member of the Rubber City Stamp Club in which he held various offices. A member and leader of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Akron, Otto served on committees in the church and was designated an honorary Elder.

His first wife, Betty Jane Peterson Elmer, whom he married in February 1945, preceded Elmer in death. She died in 1952 after contracting polio. Children Susan, Thomas, and Peter were born. On 30 October 1954, he married Marie Elmer and children John, George, Paula, and Michael were born. Surviving Otto Charles Elmer are his wife, his seven children, and 17 grandchildren, Robert and Kelsey Shuff; Katherine Elmer; Steven, Vanessa, Aimee, Peter, Lauren, Hannah, and David Elmer; Mark and Richard Elmer; Lea, Calli and Nicole Elmer; and Sarah and Matthew Lundell. Visitation hours were held at the Billow Fairlawn Chapel, Akron, 19 October 2001. Memorial services took place at the Unitarian Universalist Church, Akron, 20 October 2001, with internment in Chesmut Hill Memorial Park, also in Akron.

WILLIAM R. BURK

William Samuel Floyd, Jr. (1932-2001)

William Samuel Floyd, Jr., age 69, was assistant professor of psychology at Central State University in Wilberforce, OH, where he served for twenty-five years in several capacities. Dr. Floyd died 18 October 2001 in his home at 340 Ethel Avenue in Dayton, OH 45417. Dr. Floyd's death certificate lists the cause as "hypertensive cardiovascular disease." His death came only four months after his retirement and surprised his daughter, Tina Bates, who recalled her father in good health. His contribution to psychology was service to the private sector, government, and academe. He joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1984, affiliating with Section Psychology.

William Samuel Floyd, born 6 September 1932 in Cincinnati, OH, was the eldest of three sons of Williams Samuel Floyd, Sr. and Marveleen (Smith) Floyd. Floyd graduated in 1951 from Hughes High School in Cincinnati, where he lettered in football and track. During the next six years he worked a series of jobs and cared for his ill brother George D. Floyd. In 1957 Floyd enlisted in the US Air Force, serving as a telecommunications operator at Gentile Air Station in Dayton, OH, where he rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant, received an honorable discharge in 1964, and served as a reservist until 1968.

The military's educational benefits had helped William Floyd earn a B.A. in psychology from Central State College (now University) in 1961. While at Central State, Floyd joined the Book Review and Discussion Club and the Alpha Phi Gamma Journalism Fraternity. In 1967 he earned an M.S. in counseling and psychology from Miami University in Oxford, OH. Miami University archivist Dr. Robert Schmidt confirmed that Floyd did not write an M.S. thesis. In 1968 Floyd became supervisor of psychology and social services of the Human Rehabilitation Center at the Dayton Correction Farm in Dayton, OH. That year he also began graduate study in group counseling at Wright State University in Dayton, OH. Between 1970 and 1973 Floyd was coordinator of counseling, coordinator of the Alienated Youth Project, and teacher-coordinator in the Occupational Work Adjunct Program at the Dayton Public Schools in Dayton, OH. In 1971 and 1972 he was lecturer in psychology at Central State University. During these years Floyd continued his graduate work, transferring in 1972 to The Union Institute in Cincinnati, OH, where in 1975 he received a Ph.D. in community and clinical psychology. His Ph.D. dissertation was "The Dayton-Montgomery West Mental Health Corporation: A Developmental Case Study."

William S. Floyd joined Dayton-Montgomery in 1973 as planner and director of its Community Mental Health Center. In 1976 he became director of the quad scholars program at Central State University, adjunct professor of psychology at Wilberforce University in Wilberforce, OH, and lecturer in psychology at Sinclair Community College in Dayton, OH. Floyd set aside his teaching at Wilberforee and at Sinclair in 1979 to become acting chairperson of the psychology department at Central State. In 1982 he relinquished his administrative duties to become assistant professor of psychology at Central State, a position Floyd held until his retirement 15 June 2001. Dr. Floyd taught a range of psychology courses including community and clinical psychology, his specialty. His skill as a teacher won him Professor of the Year "many times," recounts "Celebrating the Life of William Samuel Floyd, Jr., Ph.D.," an obituary issued by Thompson, HalI and Jordan Funeral Home in Forest Park, OH. This document recalls Floyd as "a voracious reader and a perpetual student of all avenues of thoughtful intellectual endeavor" and as an educator who influenced both students and colleagues, "who continued to seek his counsel and admire him over the years."

Dr. Floyd was a member and past president of the Ohio Association of Educational Opportunity Program Personnel, and a member of the Association of Black Psychologists, the American College of Forensic Examiners, the Dayton Alumni Chapter of Central State University, and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. He was a member of the American Psychological Association where he affiliated with Community Psychology, Consulting Psychology, the Psychological Study of Social Issues, Psychotherapy, and Media, and a member of the American Association for Counseling and Development where he affiliated with American Rehabilitation Counselors and American Mental Health Counselors.

Tina Bates remembers her father's sense of humor and work ethic. "Celebrating the Life of William Samuel Floyd, Jr., Ph.D." recalls him as "a quiet philanthropist." He contributed to the United Negro College Fund, Africare, the Navajo Health Foundation, the Alzheimer's Association, the Council for Community Outreach and Development, and Culture Works.

Dr. Floyd was not married. His parents and both brothers, Robert A. and George D. Floyd, predeceased him. His fraternal-twin children Timothy Allan Bates of Stone Mountain, GA, and Tina Anette (Bates) Bayne of Cincinnati, OH, survive, as do five aunts, a sister-in-law and two nieces. Reverend Donald Harold Jordan, Sr., Pastor of Allen Temple African Methodist Episcopal Church in Cincinnati, OH, officiated at Dr. Floyd's funeral service at Thompson, Hall and Jordan Funeral Home on 3 November 2001 at 11:15 a.m. Floyd was interred that day at Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretmn in Cincinnati, OH. Friends may make memorial contributions to the United Negro College Fund, Inc., at 399 East Main Street, Suite 120, Columbus, OH 43215 or at 8260 Willow Oaks, Corporate Drive, Fairfax, VA 22031. Retained on file in the office of The Ohio Academy of Science, Columbus, are the documents "Celebrating the Life of William Samuel Floyd, Jr., Ph.D.," which includes two photographs about him, and "FLOYD, William S., Jr., PHD," a brief obituary on page B5 of the 3 November 2001 issue of the Dayton Daily News.

CHRISTOPHER CUMO

Charles Heimsch (1914-2003)

Charles Heimsch, age 88, Professor Emeritus of Botany at Miami University, died 23 April 2003 from complications of prostate cancer at the Gritman Medical Center in Moscow, ID. While chairman of the Department of Botany at Miami, he was instrumental in instituting the doctoral program in that department. Dedicated to serving the Botanical Society of America, he held several offices, including president in 1972. As a member of The Ohio Academy of Science, Heimsch joined (1960), affiliated with Section Plant Sciences in which be was vice president (1963/1964), was elected a Fellow (1962), and was accorded Emeritus status (1993). He also served as chairperson of the Academy's Resolutions Committee (1964/1965).

Charles Heimsch, born 4 May 1914 in Dayton, OH, was the son of Charles and Martha Louise (Sawesky) Heimsch. Charlie, as friends and family knew him, attended Miami University where he earned the A.B. in botany (1936) summa cum laude. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa in his junior year, Heimsch also received letters in football and golf. Continuing his academic studies, he enrolled in the graduate school at Harvard University, earning the M.A. (1939) and Ph.D. (1941), both in botany. His dissertation, entailing the "Comparative Anatomy of the Secondary Xylem in the Gruinales and Terebinthales of Wettstein with Reference to Taxonomic Grouping," was completed under the supervision of Ralph H. Wetmore and with the assistance of I. W. Bailey. It was subsequently published (Lilloa 8: [83]-198. 1942). While a graduate student, Heimsch was a teaching assistant in biology, technical assistant in the Wood Collection, and Austin teaching fellow, Harvard University; and teaching assistant in biology, Radcliffe College. Subsequent to a post-doctorate as a Sheldon traveling fellow at the Division of Plant Nutrition, University of California-Berkeley (1941-1942), Heinlsch held successive professional positions: instructor in botany, Swarthmore College (1942-1946); assistant professor of biology, Amherst College (1946-1947); and assistant professor to professor of botany, University of Texas (1947-1959). During his appointment at Swarthmore, he took a leave of absence (1944-1946) as a research scientist in tropical deterioration for the National Defense Research Committee (Office of Scientific Research and Development), Washington, DC.

Professor Heimsch returned to Miami University where he joined the Department of Botany faculty as chairman (1959-1977) and professor (1959-1980). Among the courses he taught were general botany, plant anatomy, and economic botany. He held a NATO Senior Fellowship in Science (1972) to conduct scientific investigations at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Retiring in 1981, he became Professor Emeritus. He continued teaching until 1987 and conducting research until moving to Moscow, ID, in 2000. Under his administration the department grew from five faculty members to 14, the curriculum and student enrollment increased, and a doctoral program in botany was implemented in 1967. Dr. John M. Byrne, who studied under Heimsch, became the first Ph.D. in botany there. Heimsch, with the assistance of Harvey A. Miller (Miami University Herbarium curator) strengthened the Herbarium through their successful negotiation of acquiring approximately 140,000 non-Ohio plant specimens from the Oberlin College collection. Subsequently, Heimsch administered a National Science Foundation grant to consolidate the plant collections, now constituting a significant research resource.

Heimsch was a systematic plant anatomist. His early research was on wood anatomy and his later studies focused on the developmental anatomy of roots. Among his publications is the book, Development and Structure of Plants, a Photographic Study (Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1962). Written with Addison E. Lee, who was the senior author, the volume is one of the first photographic atlases in botany, which served as a supplement to textbooks and laboratory manuals. James L. Seago, Jr., Joseph E. Armstrong, and others provide additional background on the research and publications of Heimsch (Plant Scwnce Bulletin 49: 51-53. 2003).

Maintaining interest in sports at Miami University, Heimsch served as chairman, Athletic Advisory Board (1974-1981) and university faculty representative to the NCAA and the Mid-American Conference. As a member of the selection committee for the Athletic Hall of Fame since its beginning in 1969, Heimsch himself was later (1994) inducted into the Hall.

In professional associations, Heimsch held memberships in the American Association for the Advancement of Science (Fellow), American Institute of Biological Science, Association for Tropical Biology, Botanical Society of America (BSA), International Association of Wood Anatomists, International Society of Plant Morphologists, and Torrey Botanical Club (subject matter editor--anatomy/morphology-of its Bulletin, 1983-1990). Particularly noteworthy was his longtime service to the BSA. Joining the Society in 1936, he held several offices: chairman, Membership Committee (1952-1955); editor-in-chief, American Journal of Botany (1965-1969); treasurer (1963-1964); vice-president (1971); president (1972); and program director (1979-1981). As the retiring president of the BSA, Heimsch gave an address on "Teaching and Introductory Courses," that reflected his concerns in teaching botany (Plant Science Bulletin 19: 50-52. 1973). The Society recognized his contributions, naming him a BSA Merit Award Winner (1985) and conferring on him special commendation (2002). In other organizations, he was a member of the Explorers Club and was elected to Omicron Delta Kappa (president), Phi Delta Theta, Phi Eta Sigma (president), Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Sigma, and Sigma Xi.

In addition to the scholastic awards and commendations already mentioned, Heimsch earned other honors and awards in recognition of his service to education and service at Miami University. Prior to his retirement in June 1981, he received the Benjamin Harrison Medallion for his outstanding contributions to the university's goals of excellence in education. Seven years later, a room in Pearson Hall, the biological sciences building at Miami, was dedicated the Charles Heimsch Conference Room. Since its establishment in 1989, The Charles Heimsch Graduate Award in Botany is bestowed annually to an outstanding graduate student.

As pastimes, Charlie enjoyed golfing, fishing, photography, gardening, and maple-syrup production. Despite his steadfast commitment to Miami University and to botany, his family was his first love.

His first wife Dorothy Hogue Johnson Heimsch whom he married 17 September 1938 preceded Charles Heimsch in death in 1973. Surviving are two sons, Richard Charles Heimsch of Moscow, ID, and Alan Heimsch of Stuttgart, AR; one daughter, Carolyn Marie Martinich of Bay Shore, NY; his former wife Evah Jo Johnson Heimsch of Cincinnati; three stepchildren, Nanci Lynne Plump, Donald Scott, and Steven Eric Johnson; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Memorial services were held 24 May 2003 at the Oxford (OH) Presbyterian Church, followed by a gathering at Miami University. Contributions may be sent to the Charles Heimsch Memorial Fund, Miami University Foundation, 725 E. Chestnut Avenue, Oxford, OH 45056.

WILLIAM R. BURK

George Tallmon Jones (1897-1998)

George Tallmon Jones, age 100, Professor Emeritus of Botany at Oberlin College, OH, died at his home in Oberlin 5 March 1998, approximately six months following his 100th birthday. Willard Scott recognized him for his 100th birthday on the morning NBC Television Today Show, 28 August 1997. His career as a teacher of the biological sciences spanned 75 years at Oberlin College where in that time some 180 students graduated with majors in botany. Jones was recognized and designated the James Dascomb Professor of Botany (1952), and was the recipient of an Oberlin College Alumni Award (1962). He enjoyed an abiding appreciation of nature and a powerful need to translate its wonders to others. His dedication to family, college, town, and a healthful life style were exceptionally inspirational. The love and concern expressed by his students bear witness to his great gift as a much-appreciated teacher. Professor Jones was a member of The Ohio Academy of Science since 1929 and was elected a fellow in 1941.

Born 28 August 1897, in Oberlin, OH, George Tallmon Jones, named after his mother's father and brother, was the third son of Lynds and Clara (Tallmon) Jones. Lynds Jones (1865 - 1951), a widely well-known and respected ornithologist, who had received his M.S. degree (1895) from Oberlin College and a Ph.D. degree (1905) from the University of Chicago, was a member of the Oberlin College faculty throughout his entire life. He taught courses in zoology, animal ecology, and ornithology; was curator of the zoological museum for 32 years; head of the Department of Zoology and Geology (1920-1931); and professor emeritus (1931-1951).

In September 1908, when George was age 11, his parents purchased a 60-acre farm at Birmingham, about 10 miles northwest of Oberlin. There they wanted to raise their four sons and one daughter while engaged in all aspects of general farming, in addition to Lynds commuting on the electrified interurban railway to Oberlin to continue his college teaching. George attended the elementary school at Birmingham for four years, and then the family sold the farm and returned to Oberlin in September 1912. George, as a sophomore, entered the Oberlin Academy, from which he was the last student to graduate in 1916, when the Academy closed.

During his junior year at the Academy, George at age 17 in 1914, began assisting his father in the Ornithology Laboratory class by mending and preparing bird skins, answering questions posed by the students, and led some of the field trips that spring. In the fall of 1916, George entered Oberlin College, and in addition to taking his regular courses, he continued as an assistant until 1922 in the Ornithology Laboratory Course. George did not register for classes beginning in the fall of 1918 in anticipation that he would be drafted by the United States Army, an event that occurred in early October. He served for about five weeks at the Student Army Training Corps in Oberlin until the end of World War I, 11 November of that year. George completed his major in animal ecology under his father's direction and graduated with an A.B. (1920) and the A.M. degree (1923). His thesis, titled "A Discussion of the Geographical Ecology of the Western United States" (1922), was written from information he obtained while participating in the 1919-1921 Oberlin College Summer School Ecology Field Trips to the west coast of the United States led by his father. He completed his thesis and passed his final examination in 1922, but afterward learned that he had not passed the requirement in the German language, and so his degree was delayed a year until after he completed that requirement.

At Oberlin College young Jones also had enrolled in courses in botany and assisted in the College Herbarium with the botanist Frederick O. Grover (1868-1964) under whom he learned herbarium procedures, the names of plants, and gained considerable knowledge of plant taxonomy. Grover was instrumental in securing for George an assistantship in botany at the University of Nebraska with the plant ecologist John E. Weaver with whom he studied during the academic year 1922-1923.

The following academic year, 1923-1924, Jones continued graduate work at the University of Illinois, where he studied animal ecology under Victor E. Shelford and plant ecology with Walter B. McDougali. Jones, an assistant in the general botany course, was also employed by Shelford in helping him compile a portion of the book, Naturalists Guide to the Americas (1926) sponsored by the committee on Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America. Shelford, as the senior editor, assigned Jones much of the correspondence responsibility with the 70 some contributors to the project. Jones wrote to the contributors for clarification of statements, did the initial editing on their manuscripts, and assisted in the organization and compilation of the book's information. Shelford taught Jones to write a facsimile of his signature for signing correspondence, and in one instance no replies were being returned from one of the correspondents. Shelford suggested that Jones spell the correspondent's name incorrectly, and that elicited an immediate reply. Most of the contributions were organized according to Merriam's Life Zones, but neither Shelford nor Jones favored this system, and Shelford asked Jones to translate the life zones into vegetational zones, which he did. Shelford accepted his work, and the "Vegetation Zones Correlated with Merriam's Life Zones" published on pp. 75-76, were acknowledged as prepared by and credited to Jones.

Without a degree from the University of Illinois, Jones was invited to return to Oberlin College where he was appointed as an instructor in botany for the academic year 1924-1925 replacing Prof. Susan R. Nichols who was on sabbatical leave. The following year, when Lynds Jones had a sabbatical leave, young Jones was hired in the Zoology Department to teach his father's courses in advanced ornithology and also assisted in the beginning zoology course. George T. Jones returned to the Botany Department and served as an instructor (1926-1935) teaching courses in beginning botany, bacteriology, dendrology, plant morphology, plant taxonomy, and field biology.

Jones took leave from Oberlin College (1931-1932) to continue his studies toward a Ph.D. degree in botany at the University of Chicago. The eminent pioneer plant ecologist, Henry C. Cowles, served as his advisor and approved his dissertation topic of "Dormancy and Leafing in White Elm (Ulmus americana)." After one year, Jones returned to Oberlin and continued his teaching in the Botany Department. He proceeded with his dissertation research and, by 1935, the College notified him of his advancement to Assistant Professor of Botany with tenure, if he received his Ph.D. degree by 1 September 1935.

Jones completed the writing of his dissertation, but Cowles, now helpless with multiple sclerosis and retired from teaching, could not participate in the final examination. Prof. John M. Beai, acting Chairman of the Department, approved his dissertation and the Ph.D. degree was granted 30 August 1935. Jones did not publish his dissertation. Prior to the examination, he met with Ezra J. Kraus, editor of the Botanical Gazette concerning publication of the dissertation. Kraus told Jones he had written it in a "happy conversational style" that was somewhat elementary. He also wanted the tables on weather eliminated. Jones told Kraus he had written it for readers who had a general knowledge of the subject rather than for a researcher who knew much about the subject, and he did not want to remove the weather information. Jones had a number of copies of the dissertation privately printed for his own distribution.

Jones continued at Oberlin College and served as an associate professor (1944-1952), professor (1952-1963), and professor emeritus (19631998). During his career George assisted or taught nearly every course offered in the biological sciences. He routinely taught three or four laboratory courses per semester, and consistently refused offers of sabbatical leaves, preferring instead to maintain the complete botanical curriculum for the students.

Thoroughly devoted to the teaching of botany and collecting plants for the herbarium, Jones did not publish any research papers in scientific journals. From 1970 to 1990, he did, however, write an extensive and detailed autobiography of his entire life, consisting of 4,842 doublespaced typewritten pages. Among his other writings that remain in manuscript are his lecture notes from various courses in botany, essays on the history of science and a list of plants in the herbarium at Oberlin College, the histories of the trees at Oberlin's Tappan Square, history of transportation and utilities of the town of Oberlin, accounts of his father's ecology field trips in which he participated for the years 1915, 19191926, 1928, and "The Chronicle of Lynds Jones of Oberlin College" (1983) totaling 1,140 pages, largely written from his father's diary. All of these items are available in the Oberlin College Archives.

The Oberlin College Herbarium had its beginning soon after fire founding of the College in 1833. By the time Frederick O. Grover came to the College in 1898 the Herbarium contained about 35,000 specimens, and by the time of his retirement in 1933 the Herbarium housed 135,000, of which about one-tenth comprised his own collections. When he stopped working, the collection had attained 187,000 specimens; George T. Jones was appointed curator in 1953 and the collection continued to enlarge. In 1966, when space was required for expansion by new faculty, courses, and research, the non-Ohio portion totaling approximately 140,000 specimens was sold to Miami University, Oxford, OH, where it was housed in a new facility. Jones continued to add specimens to the remaining Ohio portion of the Herbarium. His contribution totaled over 15,000 specimens. In 1992, when teaching and research efforts required more space in the Biology Department, the College sold the remaining Herbarium, estimated at about 50,000 specimens, to The Ohio State University, where it is incorporated into the state herbarium as part of the Museum of Biological Diversity in the College of Biological Sciences.

George served the College and community in various capacities. A member of the College Committee for buildings and grounds, he would take many hours watching the progress of new buildings being constructed on the campus. The workers often thought that he was an official inspector of their product. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Oberlin Co-Op Bookstore. An avid kitchen gardener, Jones plowed additional plots for a half dozen friends, neighbors, and colleagues, and often took care of them thereafter. A working member of First Church in Oberlin, he was its treasurer for 20 years, and participated as a general handy man, even scaling the steeple to paint and repair the roof on several occasions. Still agile at age 75, be shoveled snow from sidewalks and driveways of neighbors, as well as the parking lot behind the biology building, Kettering Hall.

George was known for his popular "Sunday ARemoon" held trips in and near Oberlin. Beginning in the 1940s and continuing almost until his death, he led these local field excursions every Sunday for students and friends who were interested in knowing the plants and birds. During 1990, he wrote in this autobiography that he had taken natural history hikes with college students 4,544 times. His hobbies involved traveling, ecological photography, and playing handball.

George T. Jones became acquainted with Mary Burwell, a student at Oberlin College from Benton Harbor, MI, who participated in the 1922 field trip to the west coast led by Lynds Jones. Young George noticed her in a different way. Two years later in Oberlin they were married on George's birthday, 28 August 1924, followed by 73 years together. She died 2 May 2002. Surviving are two daughters: Frances Burwell (Jones) Youatt of Seattle, WA, and Margaret Susan (Jones) Doyle of Oberlin; a son, Lynds Arthur is deceased. Four grandchildren and five great- grandchildren also survive.

The Cowling Funeral Home in Oberlin handled the final arrangements and conducted a memorial service at First Church. He was buried in Birmingham Cemetery in his boyhood town of Birmingham. Memorial contributions are to be made to New Life Hospice, 5255 North Abbe Road, Elyria, OH 44035.

RONALD L. STUCKEY DAVID H. BENZING

James Edward Leslie (1924-2003)

James Edward Leslie, age 7g, microbiologist at the Center for Urban and Industrial Health (now the Robert A. Taft Sanitary Engineering Center) for 31 years, died 18 February 2003 from blood clots in his brain caused by head trauma sustained from a fall on ice outside his home. James Leslie died at Bethesda North Hospital, Cincinnati, OH. An applied scientist, Mr. Leslie devoted his career to government service. Meticulous in his habits, Leslie had a command of methodology and the details of scientific procedure, skills that he used in safeguarding the purity of water, milk, and food. Mr. Leslie joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1961, affiliating with medical sciences and becoming an emeritus member in 1985.

Born 29 February 1924 in Wabash, IN, to Harry E. (Harry had a middle initial but no middle name) and Mabel Katherine (Schwab) Leslie, James Edward Leslie grew up in Logansport, IN, graduating from Logansport High School in 1942. Between 1945 and 1947 Mr. Leslie served in the United States Navy as Seaman First Class. Upon receiving an honorable discharge, Leslie used the benefits from the G.I. Bill to attend Purdue University in West Lafayette, 1N, where he received in 1950 a B.S. in microbiology. Mr. Leslie was unable immediately to find a laboratory position and returned to Logansport where he worked in the Logansport Post Office from 1950 to 1954. In 1954 Leslie found employment as a microbiologist in the Division of Water Microbiology at the Center for Urban and Industrial Health, then a research arm of the United States Public Health Service, in Cincinnati, OH. In 1959 Mr. Leslie became a microbiologist at Hilltop Research in Miamiville, OH. The company tested detergents and soaps for Procter and Gamble in Cincinnati, OH. James Leslie returned in 1963 to the Center for Urban and Industrial Health, this time to the Division of Milk and Food Microbiology. The Center remained an arm of the Public Health Service until 1969, when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration assumed the Center's oversight. Under the auspices of the FDA, Mr. Leslie took charge of preparing samples of milk for evaluation at federal milk testing laboratories throughout the United States to ensure the quality of their procedures for detecting bacteria in the samples. Leslie retired from the Center 22 April 1989

The coauthor of some 30 papers for presentation at conferences and publication in professional journals and in FDA bulletins, James Leslie concentrated his research on improving the methods for detecting microbes in water, milk, and food. The thrust of these papers was on applied research, which Leslie believed to be as important as basic research. The importance of applied research, of which Mr. Leslie was an advocate, has been a defining feature of American science since the colonial period. His publications and presentations led Mr. Leslie to develop a correspondence with scientists in Japan and to his invitation to present papers at conferences in Ohio, Indiana, New Mexico, and Arizona.

In addition to his membership in The Ohio Academy of Science, James Edward Leslie was a member of The Indiana Academy of Science.

A student of languages, Mr. Leslie gained fluency in Japanese while serving at Pearl Harbor during his enlistment in the U.S. Navy. Leslie also became fluent in Russian, French, and Spanish. During childhood he developed a love of classical music and ballet. "As a young man he was a pianist of some ability," recalled his sister Marcia S. Leslie. James Leslie was a subscriber to the annual concert series of the Cincinnati Ballet. An unassuming man, Mr. Leslie took pleasure in the achievements of others rather than in his own attainments.

Predeceased by his parents, James Edward Leslie remained single and is survived by siblings Marcia Suzanne Leslie of Beverly Beach, FL; Helen (Leslie) Parker of Little Rock, AR; and James Robert Leslie of Chicago, IL; and by nieces and nephews. Tufts Schlldmeyer Family Funeral Homes, Loveland, OH, cremated James Edward Leslie 21 February 2003. Marcia S. Leslie is custodian of her brother's ashes. A memorial service was held 26 April 2003 at Branch Hill Assembly of God, Loveland, OH. Friends may make memorial contributions to the Hospice of Greater Cincinnati, 4310 Cooper Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242. The Ohio Academy of Science has on file in its archives two handwritten summations of Mr. Leslie's career and achievements, both written by him, the first dated 4 October 1990 and the second 3 August 1998.

CHRISTOPHER CUMO

Arthur Leroy Lutz (1908-2002)

Arthur Leroy Lutz, age 93, retired professor of Physics and former chairman of that department in Wittenberg University, Springfield, OH, died 22 August 2002 in Oakwood Village at Springfield. Dedicated and devoted to Wittenberg University, he believed that the students should have a clear understanding of the workings of the universe. Toward that goal he initiated a required course for all students titled, "The Physical Universe," referred to as "PU" by some students. His research interest was with radioactive isotopes in nuclear physics. His working motto was "use your time well, help someone who needs kindness, do the right thing even when it's unpleasant, and never stop learning."

Arthur Lutz joined The Ohio Academy of Science (1944), was elected a fellow (1948), and became an emeritus member (1983). He actively sought physicists and other scientists to join the Academy, and he especially encouraged science in the secondary schools through the Junior Academy and the Science Day program.

During the early years of the 1960s when The Ohio Academy of Science sponsored "The Visiting Scientists Program" under the direction of Dr. William A. Manuel, Professor Lutz made speaking engagements to several high schools in western Ohio. He spoke to classes in general science, mathematics, chemistry, and physics. His demonstration-lecture, usually presented to the upper classes, titled, "Rockets, Satellites, and Men," was a very timely topic at this period in United States history. This lecture and others followed by discussions with the students were valued as very stimulating and highly worthwhile by the participating schools.

Born 22 October 1908 in Louisville, OH, Arthur L. Lutz lived on a farm and attended school for the first eight years in a one-room schoolhouse. He graduated with a B.S. degree (1931) from Capital University, an M.S. degree (1936) and Ph.D. degree (1943), both from The Ohio State University. His graduate advisor for both degrees was Marion L. Pool, under whom he wrote his masters thesis titled, "The Disintegration of Lithium by Low Voltage Deutrons," (1936) and his Ph.D. dissertation titled, "Internal Conversion and K-capture in the Radioactive Isotopes of Lead and Bismuth."

Lutz was employed as a science teacher in several high schools in Ohio and also served as the principal during some of those years (19311940). While a graduate student, he was an assistant in the Physics Department at OSU (1940-1943) and then joined the faculty at Wittenberg University to teach and develop a Department of Physics (1943). As additional appointments, Professor Lutz was a National Science Faculty Fellow at the University of Michigan (1960-1961), Visiting Professor at the University of Connecticut (summers, 1955 and 1957), and a lecturer in the OSU graduate extension program at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton (several summers and part-time, 1947-1952).

Dr. Lutz also was a member of the American Association of Physics Teachers, the American Physical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the American Association of University Professors. He was elected membership in the scientific societies, Sigma Xi and Sigma Pi Sigma. Dr. Lutz had a lifelong devotion to the Fourth Lutheran Church, now known as Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, in which he served in numerous capacities, including guest minister. Following retirement in 1975, Dr. Lutz and his wife Martha initiated the New Dimensions group for senior citizens whose mission focused on projects to keep their minds active, as well as to provide social activities for them.

In 1937, Arthur L. Lutz married Martha Blohm. She survives him as well as a son, Wendell of Tucson, AZ, and a daughter, Marcia (Lutz) Blust of Cincinnati, OH. Other survivors are two grandchildren, Eric and Julie Bhist, and two brothers, Olen and Paul Lutz of Louisville, OH. A brother, Mervin, and a sister, Pearl, preceded him in death. Funeral services, conducted by the Woods-Allgier Funeral Home in Springfield, were held 26 August 2002 in the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church with the Rev. William McKee officiating. A family graveside committal followed later that day at Ferncliff Cemetery in Springfield. Memorial contributions are to be made to the Arthur Lutz Scholarship Fund at Wittenberg University or the memorial fund at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church.

RONALD L. STUCKEY

Richard Harold Mahard (1915-2002)

Richard Harold Mahard, Professor Emeritus of Geology and Geography at Denison University, died on 9 April 2002, at the age of 86, while residing at The Inn at SharonBrooke in Newark, OH. Dr. Mahard served on the faculty at Denison from 1941 until his retirement in 1980, and received the Denison University Distinguished Service Award in 1998. In his honor, The Richard H. Mahard Maps Library in the F. W. Olin Science Hall was dedicated on 14 December 2000. Dick was a Fellow of the Geological Society of America and of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. In the latter organization he held the position of Secretary of Section E (Geology and Geography) from 1960 through 1968 and Vice President of Section E, 1968-1970.

A member of The Ohio Academy of Science since 1947, he was elected a Fellow (1950), served on the Necrology Committee (chairman, 1971-1972), and was President (1982). His presidential address, titled "Draining the Black Swamp: A Positive Modification of a Landscape," delivered at Bowling Green State University, 23 April 1983, remains in manuscript at The Ohio Academy of Science. As a longtime dedicated and faithful supporter of the Academy and its programs, he served as Director of the Development Council (1995-1996).

Richard H. Mahard, born in Lawton, Porter Township, VanBuren County, MI, on 5 July 1915, was the son of John and LouelIa (Klein) Mahard. For five years young Richard attended a one-room school, moving on after junior high school to Roosevelt High School in Ypsilanti, MI, from which he graduated in 1931. Dick then earned an A.B. degree in geography, with a high school teaching certificate, from Michigan State Normal College (now Eastern Michigan University) in 1935. With strong recommendations from his teachers, the country boy moved to New York City, where he pursued a Masters degree (1941) and Ph.D. (1949), both in geology, at Columbia University. His doctoral dissertation concerned the geomorphic evolution of the Verde Valley in Arizona.

Upon completion of his Masters in 1941, Dick accepted a position at Denison University, in Granville, OH. Denison would become his professional home for 39 years and a supportive base for the 22 years after his retirement. Starting as an Instructor (1941-1949), Mahard moved through the professorial ranks as Assistant (1949-1952), Associate (1952-1955), Full (1955-1980), and Emeritus (1980-2002), serving as Chair of Geology and Geography from 1949 through 1961. Concurrently, Dick taught at Stanford University (summer 1952), Columbia University (summers of 1956, 1961) and the University of Michigan (summer 1958). He was a special-studies scholar at the London School of Economics while on sabbaticals in i953 and 1960. As a geomorphologist, with background in geology and geography, Dr. Mahard taught a baker's dozen different courses, ranging from introductory geology to advanced courses in geology and geography. During World War II he taught geography and meteorology to members of the United States Air Corps and the Marine V-12 program. Contributions to educating individuals in the Air Force Reserved Officers Training Corps during the Korean conflict earned Mahard a Distinguished Service Certificate from the United States Air Force. His Geography of the United States and World Political Geography were examples of well-received courses that generations of students enjoyed and profited from taking. Dick's love of maps also ensured that his audiences appreciated the power and beauty of properly interpreted maps, from everyday topographic quadrangles to weather maps to complex portrayals of global tectonics. Blessed with a phenomenal memory, a robust and energetic constitution, and quiet good humor, Professor Mahard was known for his informative and often humorous tangents during a lecture. His artistic diagrams on the blackboard and his superlative lettering on innumerable maps and handouts became part of his teaching persona and generated accolades from his students. Alumni (including Hal Holbrook 1948, during a recent public convocation) recalled the depth of Dick's geographic knowledge and his enjoyment in sharing ideas with interested students. That desire to share, exceptional elocution, and animated verve, are also remembered by an extensive network of friends with whom Dick conversed over the years.

With his geomorphologist's eye for landform and his geographer's interest in the ways in which the natural world interacts with humans, Dick was a world traveler and knowledgeable interpreter of what he saw. From United States Army service in Japan, immediately after the end of World War II, to extensive travels associated with International Geological Congresses, he observed and documented conditions that he would later use to enliven and inform his teaching of world geography. Even local trips were enriched by his accounts of geomorphic history and ways in which human activities were molded by the underlying geology. Vocational abilities in landform analysis were combined with avocational interests in carpentry and "sidewalk supervision" of construction sites. When campus or village projects intersected with geological conditions of note, Dick was particularly enthralled and eloquent in translating how nature was being transformed by human endeavors. One of the rare instances in which the normally upbeat Dr. Mahard admitted to discouragement was when he saw a decline in geographic awareness, with many people not appreciating the linkages between geography, society, politics, and the evolving world. The state of geographic education and the typically low level of understanding of geographic and geopolitical factors among contemporary Americans were of genuine and increasing concern to him as the twenty-first century dawned.

Generous in sharing ideas and conversation, Dick was also generous in supporting a variety of causes and institutions. As but one example, Denison's Department of Geology and Geography profited from gifts such as complete publication series of the Geological Society of America and all volumes of the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology. Admittedly not enamored of the publish or perish mentality, Dick did generate a valuable history of Denison's tradition in geology, which appeared in The Ohio Journal of Science (1979, vol. 79, no. 1). The college, in turn, recognized Dr. Mahard's many contributions, tangible and intangible, with the awarding of its Distinguished Service Award in 1998. In an April 2002 statement reporting on Dick's passing, Denison President Dale T. Knobel recounted that, "At the last faculty meeting of the 1997-98 academic year, Dick thanked then-president Michele Myers for the honor, adding that it was the second-most important message he had ever received. Pulling a yellowed paper from his pocket, he read the text of the most important message: his letter of appointment as a faculty member at Denison University, dated 1941." The village of Granville also was a benefactor of Dick's energetic attention. At various times he served as Village Treasurer, two-term village Councilor, member of the Granville Historical Society, and driving force in renovating Sugar Loaf Park and the Old Academy Building.

His wife, Marian Neir Mahard, currently residing at The Inn at SharonBrooke, Newark, OH, survives. The Mahards were married on 12 June 1938. Memorial services were held at Swasey Chapel, on the Denison campus, on Sunday, 5 May 2002, with the Rev. Karen J. Chakoian, of the First Presbyterian Church, and Dr. David O. Woodyard, a friend and faculty colleague of the deceased, officiating. A private graveside service was held at the Denison University cemetery. The McPeek Funeral Home, in Granville, supervised the ceremonies and burial. Memorial contributions may be sent to the Richard and Marian Mabard Endowed Fund, c/o Denison University, Box D, Granville, OH 43023.

KENNARD B. BORK

Theodore Lee Miller (1940-2003)

Theodore Lee Miller, age 63, a research scientist for the past nine years at the Battelle Medical Research and Evaluation Facility at West Jefferson, OH, died from brain cancer, 11 June 2003, at his home in Columbus, OH. He was responsible for method development, dose confirmation, and environmental monitoring at the Battelle facility. Prior to his employment there, Dr. Miller had served as Professor of Chemistry at Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, and for his contributions at that time he was presented the Upward Bound Project Award for Outstanding and Dedicated Service (summer 1980) and was awarded the Bishop Francis Emner Kearns Award - Exemplary Teacher of the Year (1993-1994). As the faculty advisor for the American Chemical Society Affiliate Chapter, the organization received the Society's Chapter Award (1980-1981).

Dr. Miller joined The Ohio Academy of Science (1977) and worked primarily with the Junior Academy for a number of years serving as a judge of student science day projects and as Safety Committee Chairperson for State Science Day events. He was a Trustee of the Academy, representing Industry (1997-1998).

Born 25 May 1940 to William R. and Jeannette Miller in Crab Orchard, WV, Ted Miller, after graduation from high school, served as an electronics technician in the United States Air Force (1959-1962). He then graduated with a B.S. in chemistry and minor in mathematics from Concord College, Athens, WV (1966). While an undergraduate he was president of the Blue Key National Honor Fraternity, a member of the Mu Theta Science Club, received the James Lewis Howe Chemistry Award (1965), and was listed in Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges (1965-1966). As a Peace Corps volunteer, Mr. Miller was responsible for teaching Chemistry and Mathematics in a Nigerian high school (1966-1968).

Ted Miller earned an M.S. degree in chemistry (1970) from Marshall University, Huntington, WV. While there he was a graduate teaching assistant (1968-1970) and an Ashland Oil and Refining Company Fellow (1969-1970, summer 1969). His thesis, titled "The Photolysis of Difluorodizine at 206.2nm," was written under the guidance of Prof. John G. F. Littler. Mr. Miller completed a Ph.D. degree in physical chemistry (1974) at the University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH. While a graduate student there he held a graduate teaching assistantship (19701971), and was a Proctor and Gamble Fellow (1973-1974) and a Research Council Fellow (summer 1973). He also held the position of Senior Graduate Teaching Assistant in the Freshman Division and coordinated the recitation/lecture part of the program (1971-1973). His dissertation, titled "Computerized Mietic Luminescence Spectroscopy," was completed under the direction of Prof. R. Marshall Wilson. Following his graduate education, Miller held a joint instructor-post doctoral fellowship at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, where he directed the physical chemistry laboratory teaching and conducted a research program involving interactions of metal ions with compounds of biological interest (1974-1975).

Continuing as a teacher of chemistry, Dr. Miller served as an assistant professor of chemistry, King's College, Wilkes-Barre, PA (19751977) and professor of chemistry at Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, OH (1977-1994). While on sabbatical leave, he was a visiting associate professor of chemistry at The Ohio State University (June 1985-January 1986). His professional career concluded with his appointment as a research scientist at Battelle Memorial Institute (1994-2003).

Dr. Miller's teaching and research interests were luminescence spectroscopy, metal ions in biological systems and the environment, crocetin chemistry, and on-line computerized instrumentation. In his 1997 research summary, he listed 19 published papers, primarily in the journals Analytical Chemistry, Bioinorganic Chemistry, Journal of Chemical Education, Journal of Molecular Biology, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, and The Ohio Journal of Science. Corporations, foundations, the American Heart Association, and the National Science Foundation supported his research.

While teaching at the undergraduate level, Prof. Miller maintained a research program that trained over 40 college and high school students. Three of his students received external research awards for their projects, and three students from his Analytical Chemistry class attained the top three awards in the University of Pittsburgh analytical Chemistry Competition (1982). Of over 400 entries, the top 11 students were invited to present their proposals in a Symposium held at the University of Pittsburgh. Prof. Miller supervised six of these 11 students. Dr. Miller also held memberships in the Union of Concerned Scientists and in the Chemical Education and Analytical Divisions of the American Chemical Society. He was elected a member of Sigma Xi and served as Vice-President (1979-1980) and President (1980-1981) of the Chapter at Ohio Wesleyan University. He was a member of the United Way Steering Committee (1994- 1996) and served as a Trustee for the Delaware County Habitat for Humanity (1990-1994). Prof. Miller chose a simple lifestyle and enjoyed organic gardening.

Theodore Lee Miller is survived by his wife Mariellen (Lamp) Miller, a son Nathan and daughter Elizabeth from his first marriage, his mother Jeannette, two brothers Jerry and Freida Miller, two step-children, and four step grandchildren. The Schoedinger Northwest Chapel, 1740 Zollinger Road in Upper Arlington, conducted Dr. Miller's final arrangements with a memorial service held 15 June 2003 at the North Broadway United Methodist Church. His cremated remains were returned to the soil by private ceremony. Memorial contributions may be made to the Habitat for Humanity, the National Audubon Society, the Save- The-Redwoods League, or the Southern Poverty Law Center.

RONALD L. STUCKEY

Harold Lawrence Porter (1914-2002)

Harold Lawrence Porter, age 88, plant pathologist and Chief of the Ohio Division of Plant Industry, Reynoldsburg, died 12 October 2002 at St. Ann's Hospital, Westerville, OH. Except for a brief period of service with the United States Army Air Force (.June 1945 to December 1946), he devoted his forty-four year career with the Plant Industry. Among his known publications, he compiled "The Control of Insects and Plant Diseases in the Nursery" (Ohio Division of Plant Industry, Section of Insect and Plant Disease Control), the first three editions published in mimeographed format and the final (sixth) edition in 1959 as a 138- paged book (with Oren W. Spilker and James T. Walker). Joining The Ohio Academy of Science in 1939, Porter affiliated with Section Plant Sciences, was elected a Fellow (1955), and accorded Emeritus status (1959).

Born 24 March 1914 near Marengo (Morrow County), OH, Harold Lawrence Porter was the son of Fred Grant and Ada Viola (Potts) Porter. After attending Ashley High School for two years, he completed his secondary education at Marengo High School where he graduated in May 1932. He subsequently matriculated at The Ohio State University, earning the B.Sc.Ed. (1936), with distinction, and the M.A. (1938) in botany and plant pathology. In his major department, Porter was a graduate assistant (1938-1939) and wrote his thesis on "The Diseases of Soybean in Ohio" under the supervision of Wilmer Garfield Stover. His Master's research was one of the earliest studies on the pathology of soybeans in the state. Porter became Inspector, Nursery and Orchards, Division of Plant Industry, Ohio Department of Agriculture, Columbus, OH (1939-1941). He was successively promoted to advanced positions in the same Division: Chief Inspector (1941- 1945), Specialist in Charge of Insect and Plant Disease Control (1947-1961), and Chief of the Division (1961-1983), the last position at Reynoldsburg, OH. Concurrently he was adjunct associate professor of plant pathology, The Ohio State University (OSU). Upon retirement in 1983, Porter fully devoted himself to tending his 6.5 acre homestead near Pickerington, OH, where he grew noteworthy trees such as the cucumber tree (Franklinia), saffireberry, and pawpaw. In 1992 he became a resident of Friendship Village, a retirement community in Columbus, OH.

In professional associations Porter held memberships in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Phytopathological Society, Entomological Society of America, National Plant Board (secretary, 1966-1967; chairman, 1968-1970), and Sertoma International. Among honorary societies, he was elected to Phi Epsilon Phi (botanical) and Gamma Sigma Delta (agricultural). He was noted for his dedicated service with the Ohio Division of Plant Industry as well as his efforts to implement on a practical level State and Federal laws concerning agricultural and structural use and safety of pesticides through the joint cooperation of industry and extension. Fittingly he earned the following honors: Distinguished Alumni Award, College of Agriculture and Home Economics, OSU (1971); Distinguished Contribution Award, Ohio Nurserymen's Association (1977"); Resolutions of Congratulations by Ohio House of Representatives (1977) and by the Ohio Senate (1977, 1979); Award for Outstanding Accomplishment in the Field of Regulatory Work, National Association of State Departments of Agriculture (1978); Award for Superior Service to the Plant Industry of the State and the Nation, United States Department of Agriculture (1979); and Ohio Agricultural Hall of Fame for Distinguished Service to Ohio (1984).

Preceded in death by his first wife, Mary Louise (Sheedy) Porter, Harold L. Porter is survived by his wife Mary Van der Voort Wolfe Porter of Pickerington; and children, Ann Sheedy (David E. Long) Porter of Pickerington, Patricia Porter of Columbus, and Allen V. (Vicki) Wolfe of Cincinnati; and grandchildren, Sarah V. Wolfe of Cincinnati, Jeffrey (Sarah) Long of Greeley, CO, and Aimee (Angel) Vidal of San Diego, CA. Services were held 15 October 2002 at Rutherford-Corbin Funeral Home, Worthington Chapel, Worthington, OH. Internment was at Glen Rest Memorial Estates, Reynoldsburg. Memorial contributions may be made to Dawes Arboretum, 7770 Jacksontown Road, Southeast, Newark, OH 43056.

WILLIAM R. BURK

Robert Roy Smithers (1924-2003)

Robert Roy Smithers, age 78, died 25 January 2003 at his home in DeGraff, Logan County, OH. He was employed in the Riverside Local Schools (1958-1986), a teacher of physics, chemistry, and physical science, chairman of the science department, and principal. A member of The Ohio Academy of Science since 1971, he had an interest in natural resources and twice was awarded an Outstanding Teacher Award by the Academy. A dedicated environmental steward, Mr. Smithers received awards from the Ohio Soil and Water Conservation Service, the Ohio Division of Wildlife, the Ohio House of Representatives, and the Ohio Senate.

Born 23 November 1924 in Rossford, Wood County, OH, Robert R Smithers was the son of the late Raymond Roy and Carrie (Craine) Smithers. He graduated with a B.S. degree in agriculture from the College of Agriculture in The Ohio State University, and took additional study in Ohio at Bowling Green State University, Wright State University, and Ohio Northern University. Mr. Smithers and his wife founded Rollicking Hills Farm Camp at DeGraff, OH, where from 1957 to 1986 over 5,000 young folks learned about farming, nature, and conservation.

Robert R. Smithers married Susanne Koch Shawan, 17 June 1950. In 1952, they came to the family homestead, Rollicking Hills Farm, DeGraff, where they raised three children: Daniel and Sarah (Smithers) Minnich both of DeGraff, and Lisbeth "Betsy" (Smithers) Wharton of Lewis Center, OH; a foster daughter, Mrs. Helene Paxton of New Jersey. Mr. Smithers' wife and twelve grandchildren also survive. He was preceded in death by two sisters, Dorothy and Sally, and a brother, William. The Rexer-Riggin-Madden Funeral Home in DeGraff conducted final arrangements with a community memorial service held 1 February 2003 in the Riverside School Auditorium. Memorial contributions are to be made to the Riverside EMS, the DeGraff United Methodist Church, or the Log Cabin Restoration Fund c/o Citizens Bank of DeGraff.

RELDA E. NIEDERHOFER

Edith Louise (Ackerman) Troutman (1939-2003)

Edith Louise (Ackerman) Troutman, age 63, of Ohio State Road 546, Lexington, OH, died after a short illness at her home, Tuesday, 11 March 2003. Mrs. Troutman was a teacher of the biological sciences, and her entire career was associated with The Ohio State University. As a member of The Ohio Academy of Science since 1967, she was elected a Fellow and became a life member in 1982. Throughout her career, she served as a judge at local science fairs and at the Junior Academy's State Science Day.

Born 26 April 1939, in Ashland County, Edith Louise Ackerman, from early childhood through sixth grade, lived in Ontario, OH. She spent her teen years in Bellville (Richland County), OH, where she graduated as the class valedictorian from Bellville High School in 1957. Three years later she graduated from Ashland College with a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Comprehensive Science and Biology. Louise was a chemistry laboratory assistant during her senior year at Ashland College. After graduation she was an Assistant Bacteriologist at Hess and Clark Pharmaceuticals in Ashland, OH.

Miss Ackerman began her teaching career at Buckeye High School as a Junior High Mathematics and General Science Teacher in Medina County, followed by a year teaching Junior High Mathematics at her alma mater (now Clear Fork High School). Louise received a Master's of Science Degree in Biology from The Ohio State University in 1965, while working under Dr. John L. Crites in the Department of Zoology and Entomology. The subject of her thesis was "Some Ectoparasites and Endoparasites of the Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater ater) from Central Ohio." While at The Ohio State University she was a Teaching Assistant from September 1963 to June 1964 and from September 1965 to June 1966. Louise was an instructor in the Biology Department at OSU-Newark, later an assistant professor in zoology at OSU-Mansfield, and then retired as an Emeritus faculty member in 1991. Throughout her tenure at OSU, Louise was for many years the only female among the Zoology Department faculty.

Although Louise had a research interest in Tardigrada, she always believed that she better served the University by spending her time improving her skills at introducing the science of biology to students. She had an innovative, personal teaching style, which made for a memorable experience to more than 5500 university students. Much of her non-teaching time at OSU was involved in working on innumerable committees as a member or an elected official.

In 1973 and 1974, Louise Troutman co-authored two papers, primarily based on her Master's research of the parasites of cowbirds. She also served as a reviewer of manuscripts and textbooks on general biology.

Mrs. Troutman was a member of the Society for College Science Teachers, the American Microscopial Society, and the Association of Women in Science of Central Ohio. She was also a member of the National Audubon Society, the Nature Conservancy, and several other local lay science organizations.

After retirement, Louise continued her workaholic habits and redirected her time to community and personal activities. She was active in many organizations, including the Malabar Farm Spinners and Weavers Guild, Lexington Methodist Church Knotty Ladies, the Mansfield Millennium Quilt Guild and The All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church in Bellville. She was a recent board member of the Richland County Museum. In 1996 Mrs. Troutman joined the National Institute of Health's 10-year study (the Womens Health Initiative) in the low-fat intake group. As a member in good standing, she was required to maintain a diet of less than 24 grams of daily fat, which for all practical purposes required her to become at least a facultative vegetarian. With a love to travel, Louise visited all fifty states and 43 countries and provinces on all continents except Antarctica. Her favorite adventures were a safari to East Africa for biology teachers, a month long trip to Australia with family, a month long stay (with her husband) at two large estancias in Tierra del Fuego, and a several week driving and camping trip to Alaska with her daughter. Her favorite trip was her last international sojourn to Hong Kong and mainland China to visit the relatives and family-owned weaving factory of her Chinese daughter-in-law. During these trips and throughout her life, Louise was a consummate diarist, having kept a near daily record for more than 52 years. She also kept a yearly scrapbook, and as a gift to her children upon graduation--gave them each an "owner's manual" that contained pictures, personal documents and other items of personal interest to that time in their lives.

Louise developed a latent interest in fabric arts and related crafts, becoming adept at card-making, beading, weaving and doll dress-making. All her friends and relatives knew that they probably would receive a Louise-designed and constructed card, placemat, rug, or basket. She took special pride in the "glitzy" doll clothes designed for her young female friends and relatives. One christmas she made nearly 250 designer doll costumes to be given away for charity. On special occasions, such as births, graduations, or weddings, a special quilt was made for the celebrants. Louise designed and constructed award-winning non-traditional quilts. Her home, gardens and life-style reflected her unique talents, energy, and personality.

Louise Troutman was a dedicated, loving mother and spouse, who is survived by her husband, Kenneth Roger Troutman, whom she married on 19 July 1968; her daughter, Charla Louann, who resides in Arlington, VA; her son, Philip Parke and daughter-in-law Lai-Fong "Yvonne" Yiu, who live in San Diego, CA; and many cousins, friends, students, and neighbors. Her parents, Charles Walter Ackerman and Louise Helena (Wilgus) Ackerman, preceded her in death. She enjoyed life to the fullest, being a major contributor to the family motto "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing." At her request no visitation hours or funeral service were held. A public memorial service was conducted on 26 April 2003 at the All Souls Unitarian-Universalist Church in Bellville. Remains will be interred during a private service at Maple Hill Cemetery in Hinckley (Medina County), OH. Wappner Funeral Directors assisted the family with arrangements with an online guest registry at www.wappner.com.

K. ROGER TROUTMAN RONALD L. STUCKEY

Alfred Jack Wilfong, Sr. (1914-2002)

Alfred Jack Wilfong, Sr., age 88, owned Executive Housekeeping, a contract cleaning service for 15 years. Jack, who preferred his middle to his first name, died of Alzheimer's disease 20 July 2002 at Clairemont Nursing and rehabilitation in Eau Claire, Wh He joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1961 and was a Patron. Jack did not affiliate with a section of the Academy.

Alfred Jack Wilfong, Sr., was born 29 March 1914 in Montrose, WV, to the late Roy and Dove (Gainer) Wilfong. The family moved to Elkins, WV, where they lived in a series of eleven houses on the same street, with each move to a better house. At Elkins High School Jack lettered in football, basketball, and baseball, earning his diploma in 1932. His prowess as a left tackle on the defensive line won him a football scholarship to Davis-Elkins College in Elkins, WV. The U.S. was in the midst of the Great Depression, and three years into his study of physical education, Wilfong left Davis-Elkins for lack of money.

Instead Jack Wilfong inspected power lines for the Elkins Electric Company in Elkins. The job sent him through the mountains of West Virginia where he confronted snakes, bears, and the inebriated. During World War II he enlisted in the U.S. Navy as a First Class Petty Officer and trained as a Navy Seal. He was stationed in Cambridge, MD, where he played football for the Navy and taught recruits to swim. At the end of World War II in August 1945, Wilfong worked for the Veterans Administration at a mental hospital in Perryville, MD, and took courses at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD, to complete his B.S. in physical education, which he received from Davis-Elkins College in 1947. The next year he returned to Elkins as Executive Director of its YMCA. In a memorial tribute, "A Celebration of Life: Jack Wilfong (1914-2002)," his son, AIDed Jack Wilfong, Jr., described the position as a "dream job" for it allowed his father to revive his passion for teaching others to swim. In an era of segregation Jack taught black children to swim. The Board of Directors opposed him, but Wilfong did not retreat. He taught blacks on Sundays, when the YMCA was otherwise closed. While at the YMCA he took charge of maintaining the gymnasium floor, work that led him to sell floor maintenance supplies for Hillyard Chemical Company, first in Findlay, OH and then in Bowling Green, OH. This experience served him well at The Ohio State University in Columbus, OH, where he taught among other courses the maintenance of gymnasium floors in the Department of Trades and Industrial Education. This work in turn prompted him to found Executive Housekeeping in Louisville, KY.

In Louisville Jack wilfong indulged his passion for golf, playing year round when weather permitted. The onset and progression of Alzheimer's eroded his ability to play, though he continued to fish, an avocation he pursued in the lakes around Eau Claire, WI, where he moved in 1993. Jack Wilfong, Jr., recalled his father's love for fishing at Carson Park in Eau Claire, to which Jack would take his father. Faith was central to Wilfong. He donated all interest from his savings accounts to the Methodist churches with which he was affiliated and volunteered as a Sunday school teacher. Wilfong also volunteered as a fireman when he had lived in Elkins, WV, and in Findlay, OH. Jack Wilfong, Jr., remembers his father as "a Mnd, gentle man, a man who had a strong religious conviction."

Jack Wilfong married Hazel Allender on 29 October 1937 in Elkins, WV. Their 56-year marriage ended with Hazel's death from lung cancer in 1993. His sister, Sara Scallon, also predeceased him. He is survived by his son, Alfred Jack Wilfong, Jr., of Eau Claire and by Jerry Ryan, also of Eau Claire, whom Wilfong designated a "special son." Ryan had cared for him during his battle against Alzheimer's. Four grandchildren and seven great grandchildren survive Wilfong. Reverend David Blackmer presided over his memorial service at Lake Street United Methodist Church in Eau Claire. Evergreen Funeral Home and Crematory in Eau Claire cremated him. His son has the ashes, which he intends to deposit alongside the graves of his father's sister and parents in Elkins, WV. Friends may make contributions to Lake Street United Methodist Church, 337 Lake Street, Eau Claire, W1 54703 or to the Greater Wisconsin Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association, 1227 B Menomonee Street 54703. Friends may consult "A Celebration of Life: Jack Wilfong (1914-2002)," a copy of which is retained in Jack Wilfong's file at The Ohio Academy of Science, Columbus.

CHRISTOPHER CUMO
COPYRIGHT 2003 Ohio Academy of Science
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2003 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Author:Stuckey, Ronald L.
Publication:The Ohio Journal of Science
Date:Dec 1, 2003
Words:12735
Previous Article:The orientation of beavers (Castor canadensis) when cutting trees (1).
Next Article:Registration.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters