Obituaries of the members of the Ohio Academy of Science Report of the Necrology Committee, 2007.
The committee is seeking volunteers to provide information or to write obituaries on deceased members of the Academy whose obituaries have not yet been written for The Ohio Journal of Science. Please contact The Ohio Academy of Science if you can assist in this effort. A two-page outline of instructions for preparation of obituaries in The Ohio Journal of Science, written by Ronald L. Stuckey, is available from the author or the Academy office.
The following is a list of deceased members of the Academy with the year joined and date of death, if known, whose obituaries have not yet been published in the Journal.
WILLIAM R. BURK, acting chair Necrology Committee
Name Date of Death Year Joined Winifred Catherine Prozeller Wirth 2006 1995
Roy Garner Bossert (1908-2007)
Roy Garner Bossert, age 99, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry at Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio, died 10 May 2007 at Willow Brook in Delaware from natural causes. A teacher and scholar, Bossert had a productive relationship with his students, encouraging them to do original research. He joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1938 and was elevated to Fellow in 1947. As a member of the OAS, Bossert was assistant vice president for membership and vice president for the chemistry section. A participant in the Visiting Scientists Program, Bossert gave lectures and demonstrations at several high schools. Bossert used these opportunities to urge students to pursue careers in science. He visited the chemistry classes at Rutherford B. Hayes High School in Delaware, Ohio, on 22 May 1962, so impressing chemistry teacher William L. Hoch that he expressed the hope that Bossert would return next year to deliver another lecture and demonstration. At Marion Harding High School in Marion, Ohio assistant superintendent C. W. Gabler praised Bossert's lecture on careers in science. Other school personnel lauded Bossert's ability to build rapport with students.
The son of James Morange and Jennie Josephine (McCutcheon) Bossert, Roy Garner Bossert was born 21 February 1908 in Monongahela, Pennsylvania. Roy Bossert received a B.S. (1930) from the College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio, and an M.S. (1933) and a Ph.D. (1936) from The Ohio State University, with all three degrees in chemistry. While a graduate student, he worked at the Aluminum Company of America. Bossert was an instructor (19361937) at the University of Kentucky and subsequently joined the faculty at Ohio Wesleyan University, where he was an instructor (1937-1938), assistant professor (1938-1944), associate professor (1946-1949), professor (1949-1972) and professor emeritus (1972-2007). He held a Mellon Institute fellowship (1944-1946). Bossert was associate program director for summer institutes (1960-1961) at the National Science Foundation, chairman of the department of chemistry (1962-1970) at Ohio Wesleyan College, a researcher for the Institute of Paper Chemistry (summer 1941), and visiting associate professor of chemistry at The Ohio State University (summers 1947 and 1948). He conducted research at Ohio Wesleyan University (summers 1957 and 1958) under the auspices of Standard Oil of Ohio. Bossert was a consultant (19601968) to the National Science Foundation. An organic chemist, Bossert's chief duty at Ohio Wesleyan University was the teaching of organic chemistry. Secondarily he taught introductory chemistry and physiological chemistry.
Former student T. Howard Black, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry at Eastern Illinois University, recalls Roy Bossert as the man who inspired him to become a chemist and professor. Until he came under Bossert's influence Black had intended to become a physician. Black recalls Bossert's infectious smile and his enthusiasm for teaching and for chemistry. "The expression on his face, along with his gentle arm gesticulations, easily communicated the wonder and amazement he felt every time he revealed to us more of the order, symmetry, and beauty that characterize the subject of organic chemistry, the true love of his intellectual life," wrote Black. Bossert was able to communicate this wonder and amazement without saying a word, but simply by his presence in the classroom and laboratory. Black remembers his pride and astonishment when Bossert invited him to collaborate on research. Bossert gave Black a key to the chemistry building so that he might pursue this research at any time. Black recalls the key as a tangible sign of Bossert's trust in him. Bossert came nearly every day to check Black's progress, for he was eager to see his protege's research take shape. Black believes that countless other students likewise esteemed Bossert.
Bossert focused his research on organic chemistry and coauthored with student Richard Croft a paper on their joint investigations. Other papers followed on dicarbamates and metallic soaps. With OSU chemists Cecil E. Boord and Wallace R. Brode, Bossert coauthored alaboratory textbook, Laboratory Outline and Notebook for Organic Chemistry (John Wiley, 1941). The text went through four editions: 1941, 1948, 1955, and 1968. In addition to these publications Bossert authored 11 book reviews and a biography of Francis C. Frary, director of research at ALCOA, for a book of biographies of well-known chemists published by the American Chemical Society.
A member of the American Chemical Society, Bossert was treasurer, vice chairman, chairman and councilor of the Columbus Section. He also held memberships in the Midwestern Association of Chemistry Teachers in Liberal Arts Colleges, the Association of Ohio College Chemistry Teachers, the American Institute of Chemists (fellow), Sigma Xi, the American Association of University Professors, and Phi Lambda Upsilon. Active in civic organizations, he served on committees of the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Parent-Teacher Association and organizations devoted to fighting cancer and polio.
Interested in the genealogy of his family, Roy Bossert conducted research in Europe, tracing his family back to 1580. He enjoyed traveling, and in addition to visiting Europe, Bossert had a cottage at Blind River, Ontario, where he and his family vacationed two months every summer.
Predeceased by his first wife Mildred (Boss) Bossert and son James Robert Bossert, Roy Bossert is survived by his second wife Mary Utley (Cruikshank) Bossert of Delaware, Ohio; son William Wallace Bossert of Springfield, Pennsylvania; four grandchildren and two great grandchildren. Ray Bossert and Mildred (Boss) Bossert were married in 1933. Roy Bossert and Mary Utley (Cruikshank) Bossert were married in 1972. Robinson Funeral Home in Delaware was in charge of arrangements. The family held a memorial service 28 May 2007 at First Presbyterian Church in Delaware. Roy Bossert was cremated and his ashes deposited at Oak Grove Cemetery in Delaware. Friends may make contributions to the First Presbyterian Church, 73 West Winter Street, Delaware, Ohio 43015. Interested parties may consult obituaries in the Columbus Dispatch and the Delaware Gazette, biographical summations in the American Men of Science and Who's Who in America (1972).
>Kenneth James Breeding (1941-2006)
Kenneth James Breeding, age 64, Professor Emeritus of Electrical and Computer Engineering at The Ohio State University in Columbus, died 11 February 2006 at Riverside Hospital in Columbus from cancer. Among his contributions to electrical and computer engineering, two merit special mention. First he worked on the design and construction of Illiac II and Illiac III, the latter one of the world's first computer vision machines. Second Breeding designed many courses in computer engineering that later contributed to the unification of the departments of electrical engineering and computer and information science. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) awarded him its Centennial medal for his contributions to the profession of electrical engineering. At OSU he was honored with the Outstanding Teaching Award from the Department of Electrical Engineering and the Ralph Boyer Award for Excellence in Teaching Innovation from the College of Engineering. Kenneth Breeding joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1993, affiliating with the Electrical and Computer Engineering Section.
The son of James H. and Zelma (Smith) Breeding, Kenneth James Breeding was born 20 June 1941 in Shelbyville, Illinois. Kenneth Breeding and his parents were close. He recalls them as "wonderful parents, loving, kind, social and always willing to put the best interests of their children first. We were loved, safe, cared for, and encouraged to be everything that we could be." As a child, he was interested in radio and other electronic devices. The family rarely dined at the kitchen table, which Breeding kept full of radio parts, vacuum tubes, wires, and batteries. From an early age he was an avid reader and frequent visitor to the library. A Cub Scout, Breeding rose to become a Boy Scout and an Eagle Scout. Scouting inculcated in him an enjoyment of the outdoors, of canoeing and of camaraderie with other scouts. As a student, he excelled at science and mathematics. He played trombone in the high school band and was a member of the National Honors Society and the Science Club. His grades placed him on the Honor Roll.
He graduated from Shelbyville High School (1959) and enrolled in the University of Illinois. There Breeding joined the fraternity Alpha Chi Rho and the Varsity Men's Glee Club. He was an instrumentation engineer (1961-1962) in the Physics Department, receiving his B.S. in electrical engineering (1963). Remaining at the University of Illinois for graduate work, Breeding was a research assistant (1963-1965) in the Department of Computer Science and held an RCA Fellowship in electrical engineering. He received an M.S. in electrical engineering (1965), his thesis entitled "Grammar for Pattern Description Language." While an instructor (19661967) in the Department of Electrical Engineering, Breeding received a Ph.D. in electrical engineering (1968). He wrote his dissertation on "An Approach to the General Synthesis of a Threshold Element Network." Joining the OSU faculty, Breeding rose through the ranks: assistant professor (1967-1972) in the Department of Electrical Engineering; associate professor (19721979), professor (1979-2003), and professor emeritus (2003-2006) in the Departments of electrical engineering and computer and information science.
Breeding developed extensive experience as a consulting engineer. He first became a consultant with Intercept Research (1966-1967) in Urbana, Illinois. After moving to Ohio, he developed a number of consultancies in that state with the following: Columbus Instruments, Inc. (1970-1972); North Electric Company (1973-1975) in Delaware; Ranco Controls Division (1978) in Columbus; Contronics Systems of Ohio in Columbus (1980-2006); Ohio International (1980); Hydrocepts Inc. (1981) in Bucyrus; and Health Care Logistics (1996-2006) in Circleville. Breeding's experience as a consultant gave him entree into the business community. He learned from his contacts in industry that few students knew how to design and build electronic components. To prepare students for work in industry, Breeding designed practical labs on the design and construction of electronic components. Aware that engineers write technical reports and give oral presentations to audiences that varied from their colleagues to business people with no training in engineering, Breeding designed a technical writing course for engineers. The course included oral presentations as well as technical writing. Breeding included cooperative learning in his courses to train students to work on teams, a valuable asset in the business world. He developed courses in microprocessors, large-scale digital systems and computer architecture and, more generally, the core undergraduate courses in the College of Engineering. Breeding believed that the aim of education was teaching. He esteemed his students, who gave him a sense of purpose. He especially treasured those students with a desire for knowledge.
Breeding served on at least 13 committees at OSU. Among these, he chaired several: the Assistant Professor Search Committee (1977), the Irregular Student Committee (1974), and the Subcommittee to Develop Technical Communication Program.
Kenneth Breeding centered his research on computer architecture, artificial intelligence, and visual pattern recognition and image processing. For the U.S. Air Force he did research on the recognition of aircraft by onboard computers. His research led to the design of computer systems for processing images. In addition to numerous papers, Breeding published Digital Design Fundamentals (Prentice Hall, 1989; 2d edition, 1992), a textbook and one of the three top sellers on the topic. Translated into several languages, the textbook was popular worldwide. Breeding also wrote Microprocessor Design Fundamentals (Prentice Hall, 1995).
A member of IEEE, Breeding was a student advisor to the OSU chapter (1970-1973) and held offices in the Columbus Section (publicity chairman, 1973-1974; secretary, 1974-1975; and chairman, 1975-1976). He also served on the IEEE's Computer Society Section (1978). Additionally, Breeding was a member of Eta Kappa Nu, Sigma Tau, Sigma Xi, Phi Kappa Phi, the American Society for Engineering Education, and the Pattern Recognition Society.
Kenneth Breeding had numerous interests. A bicyclist, he commuted to OSU year round and pedaled 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year. In 1985 he, a graduate student, and a new assistant professor bicycled from Columbus to Shelbyville along U.S. Route 40. He played in a jazz band and pursued photography and painting. He was a Cub Scout leader and took pride in the fact that his grandson was a Cub Scout. Breeding designed software for a grade book that faculty still use today. He built a digital clock, a canoe, a sailboat and a telephone call screening device. His interests in athletics, the outdoors, and children led him to coach T-ball. Breeding had a captivating personality and the ability to converse with people about any topic on any level. So humble was he that many people did not know that he was a professor.
Surviving is wife and best friend Juliann (Beem) Breeding. She and Kenneth Breeding had married 22 June 1963 in Shelbyville. Also surviving are adopted daughter Dorian Selstad of Canal Winchester, Ohio; grandson Dylan of Canal Winchester; and sister Debra B. Johnson of Decatur, Illinois. Adopted son Gregory Kenneth Breeding predeceased Kenneth Breeding. The family held visiting hours 15 February 2006 and a memorial service the next day. Weir-Arend Funeral Home in Columbus was in charge of arrangements. Friends may make contributions to the Professor Kenneth J. Breeding Memorial Scholarship Fund, Professor Robert Lee, Department Chair, The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Ohio State University, 205 Dreese Laboratory, 2015 Nell Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43210. Interested parties may consult an obituary in the Columbus Dispatch, a curriculum vita and a brief autobiography.
Frank Winslow Chorpenning (1913-2006)
Frank Window Chorpenning, age 93, Professor Emeritus of Microbiology and Immunology at The Ohio State University in Columbus, died 13 December 2006 at his home in Delaware, Ohio from heart failure. Among his contributions to science, two deserve special mention. First, he worked on the U.S. Typhus Commission, and, second, he worked as a consultant to the blood banks of Vietnam and China. He received the U.S.A. Typhus Commission Medal, a commendation from the Chinese Surgeon General, and a commendation from the Commanding General of Brooke General Hospital. Governor Robert Taft inducted Chorpenning into the Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame.
Chorpenning joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1966, affiliating with the Medical Sciences Section. He was elevated to Fellow in 1969 and became an emeritus member in 1986. An active member of the Academy, he served in a number of offices. In the Medical Sciences Section he was membership chairman (19681969) and vice president (1969-1970). Chorpenning served on the Academy's Joint Administration Board (1971-1974) and as division editor of The Ohio Journal of Science (1974-1983). He was a member of the Committee on Research Grants (1975-1978).
The son of Roy Albert and Laura Leola (Clintworth) Chorpenning, Frank Window Chorpenning was born 17 August 1913 in Marietta, Ohio. He received a diploma from Marietta High School in Marietta, Ohio; an A.B. (1939) in biology from Marietta College; a certificate (1948) from the Army Medical Service School; and an M.S. (1950) and Ph.D. (1963) in microbiology from OSU. Chorpenning began his career in the Army, which commissioned him a major (1945). In this capacity he served on the U.S. Typhus Commission (1945-1946). Thereafter, he was a bacteriologist (1948-1949) with the Fourth Army Area Laboratory. Promoted to Lieutenant Colonel (1950), Chorpenning was a serologist (19501951) with the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research and with the Office of the Surgeon General (1951-1952). An immunologist with the U.S. Army Medical Laboratory in Europe, Chorpenning was director (1952-1955) of the Army's blood bank. He was chief of clinical pathology (1952-1955) and director (1952-1955) of the blood bank at Brooke General Hospital of Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas. In this capacity he was a consultant (1956) to the blood banks of the Vietnamese Army and the Nationalist Chinese Army (1960). Retiring from the Army, he returned to OSU, where he advanced in the academic ranks: lecturer (19611962) in immunology, research associate (1962-1963), instructor (1963) in immunology, assistant professor (1963-1967), associate professor (1967-1973), professor (1973-1981) of microbiology and immunology, and Professor Emeritus (1981-2006). He taught courses in microbiology and immunology.
Active on committees, Chorpenning served on the following groups: Epidemiological Committee (1949), the Cooperative Study Group on Treponemal Immobilization, World Health Organization (1953-1955), OSU'S Curriculum Committee of the College of Arts and Sciences (1964-1966), the College of Biological Sciences (Curriculum Committee, 1966-1967), the Faculty Senate of the College of Arts and Sciences (1968-1970), the Graduate Committee of the Department of Microbiology (1968-1969), the University Senate (1973-1976), the Advisory Committee on Campus Grievances (1973-1975), and the Ohio Faculty Senate (1974-1976). He chaired the Curriculum Committee of the Department of Microbiology (1978-1981).
Frank Chorpenning focused his research on the epidemiology of typhus and syphilis and on the maintenance of an abiotic supply of blood for transfusion. In addition to publishing numerous papers, he edited Clinical Pathology Procedures, Brooke Army Hospital, coauthored An Outline and Supplementary Material for General and Pathogenic Microbiology (OSU Press, 1974), and authored the laboratory manual Immunology and Immunochemistry (OSU Press, 1975). He presented papers at a number of conferences sponsored by: the National Institutes of Health (1952), the World Health Organization (1954), the American Society for Microbiology (1956, 1967, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1974, 1976-1978, and 1980), the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (1967, 1969, and 1971 - 1979), the American Association of Blood Banks (1967), the 13th International Congress of Blood Transfusions (1972), the 3rd International Congress of Immunology (1977), the U.S.-Japan Intersociety Microbiology Congress (1979), and the Association for Gnotobiotics (1980).
In addition to membership in OAS, Frank Chorpenning held memberships in the following associations: the American Association of Immunologists (1961; Emeritus, 1983); the American Society for Microbiology (1950; fellow; Emeritus, 1981); the American Association for the Advancement of Science (1949-1976); the American Association of Blood Banks (19561975); and the Association for Gnotobiotics (1971). Chorpenning was a member of the honorary societies Beta Beta Beta, Sigma Xi, and Alpha Sigma Phi. Having an interest in the history of Ireland, Chorpenning joined the Shamrock Club.
Although he was not Irish, Frank Chorpenning celebrated Saint Patrick's Day by marching in the annual parade. He nurtured an interest in fiction, writing a historical novel, The Man from Somerset. He also wrote the privately printed A Chorpenning History, a genealogy of his family. In addition to these works, Chorpenning privately published his autobiography On to the 21st Century.
Wife Anne Laurie Chorpenning predeceased Frank Chorpenning. They had married 2 July 1942 in Abilene, Texas. Also deceased are brothers John, Harry and A1; and sister Lois Gadd. Surviving Frank Chorpenning are son Jonathan E. of Felicity, Ohio; daughters Ann Kay Coffee of Saint Augustine, Florida, Kathleen Row of New York City, Janie Aziz of Cairo, Egypt; 8 grandchildren, 6 great-grandchildren, and sister Virginia Bentz of Dublin, Ohio. The family held calling hours at the DeVore-Snyder Funeral Home in Delaware, Ohio and a funeral at Saint Mary's Catholic Church in Delaware, Ohio, both on 20 December 2006. Chorpenning was buried 21 December 2006 at Oak Grove Cemetery in Marietta, Ohio. Interested parties may consult American Men and Women of Science (1958), Leaders in American Science (1959), the Dictionary of International Biography (1968), the International Who's Who in Community Service (1975), an obituary in the Columbus Dispatch, and a curriculum vita on file in the office of OAS.
Jane Louise Forsyth (1921-2006)
Jane Louise Forsyth, age 84, Pleistocene geologist and Professor Emerita of Geology at Bowling Green State University, died 19 September 2006, at Alterra Sterling House, an assisted-living facility in Bowling Green, Ohio. She was the first female professor of geology at BGSU. Forsyth's research focused on Pleistocene geology and glacial geology of Ohio. Her expertise in this field of study and her contributions to the theory and interpretation of Ohio's glacial deposits earned her the affectionate name 'Queen of the Pleistocene.' She was also well-known as a geobotanist, naturalist, educator, and conservationist. In addition to her scholarly pursuits, she popularized Ohio geology through numerous lectures and talks that she gave in Ohio. Her productive career culminated with over 165 publications, both scientific and popular. Forsyth received several awards and honors, including the W.W. Mather Medal in 1990 from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Geological Survey in recognition of her significant and lifelong contributions to the knowledge of Ohio geology.
Joining The Ohio Academy of Science in 1952, Forsyth affiliated with the Geology Section, was elected a Fellow (1955), and accorded emeritus status (2005). Her involvement with the organization spanned over 50 years during which time she was a leader and an active member. She served as vice president of the Geology Section (1961-1962,1984-1985) and as editor-in-chief of The Ohio Journal of Science, the Academy's official publication (1964-1974). She participated in the Visiting Scientists Program, lecturing on geology in several Ohio elementary and junior and senior high schools (1961, 1962, 1964, and 1966). Forsyth presented papers nearly every year at the Academy's annual meetings (1961-1998). In association with these meetings, she was a leader or co-leader of 10 Annual Geology Field Conferences. Additionally, she led a Botany/Ecology Field Trip in Wood County, Ohio, as part of the Academy's annual meeting in 1968. She organized two Academy symposia: Symposium on the Pleistocene, 19 February 1966; and Symposium on Environmental Geology in Ohio, 22 April 1978. The Academy's publications were a significant channel through which she published the results of her research. In its Journal she published 18 articles, 16 abstracts, and 20 book reviews; and in its News, 10 essays. With Christine M. Gorta, Forsyth compiled an index to the Academy's Journal covering the years 1951 to 1970 (Ohio J. Sci. 72: 322-366. 1972). Recognizing her numerous contributions to the organization, The Ohio Academy of Science selected Forsyth a Centennial Honoree in 1991.
Jane Louise Forsyth, born 9 November 1921, in Hanover, New Hampshire, was the daughter of Louise Ann (James) and Chester Hume Forsyth. Her father, a professor of mathematics at Dartmouth College, frequently took Jane on hikes and field trips during her childhood and youth. These excursions instilled in her a lasting appreciation and knowledge of nature, including the identification of flowers, trees, birds, and animals. She also developed a sense of the geological landscapes over the land traveled. These experiences would later influence her decision to choose geology as a profession. After graduating from Hanover High School, Jane attended Smith College and earned a B.A. in geology (1943). She subsequently pursued graduate studies in geology at the University of Cincinnati where she was a graduate assistant in geology (1943-1946) and received an M.A. (1946). Under the direction of Professor John L. Rich, she conducted research and wrote a thesis on "The Eden and Maysville Groups of the Cincinnatian Series at Cincinnati, Ohio." During the years 1947 to 1948, she attended The Ohio State University and was an assistant instructor in geology. After a brief respite from pursuing her education from 1949 to 1951, she returned to OSU in 1951 to begin formal graduate studies. She worked under the supervision of noted geologist Richard P. Goldthwait and concurrently served as an assistant instructor in geology (1951-1955). Forsyth earned the Ph.D. in geology (1956), writing her dissertation on "The Glacial Geology of Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio."
Forsyth gained early professional experiences in academia: instructor in geology at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio (19461947); graduate assistant in geology at University of California at Berkeley (1947-1948); and instructor in geology, Adams State College in Colorado (summers, 1947-1951). While Forsyth was completing her doctorate, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Ohio Geological Survey, Columbus, hired her as Pleistocene geologist in 1955, a position she held for a decade. In 1965, she joined the faculty in the Department of Geology at Bowling Green State University, where she devoted the remainder of her professional career to academic pursuits. She advanced through the ranks: assistant professor (1965-1968), associate professor (1968-1974), professor (1974-1992), and professor emerita (19922006). Concurrently, she was also a research associate at The Ohio Historical Society, Columbus (1967-1970).
A devoted educator in geology, Forsyth taught not only college students but also the public. When she accepted the Mather Award in 1990, she noted that teaching was a very rewarding experience. It has been stated elsewhere that "her lectures were amazing and her personality sparkled." During her tenure at BGSU, Forsyth taught over 20 different undergraduate and graduate courses. Although the majority of the courses concerned geology, she also taught four biology courses at least 30 times from 1966 to 1982. Her undergraduate instruction included courses on Introduction to Geology and Our Changing Landscapes; and undergraduate-graduate courses included Geology of Ohio and Human Environmental Geology. She developed two graduate courses based on her specialty in geology: Glacial Geology and Pleistocene Geology. She advised 12 graduate students during her career and served on numerous thesis reading committees. She also contributed to teaching geology by editing and contributing to the textbook "Elementary Geology Laboratory Manual" (Kendall/Hunt Pub., Dubuque, Iowa. 1969; 2nd edition, 1971). In recognition of her outstanding teaching, she received a BGSU distinguished teaching award in 1973.
Even during summer, Forsyth was actively engaged in teaching. Beginning in the summer of 1965, she lectured on geology every summer, except two, at the Franz Theodore Stone Laboratory of The Ohio State University in Put-in-Bay, Ohio. In 2002, the Laboratory honored her with an F. T. Stone Laboratory Distinguished Service Award in recognition of her more than three decades of teaching at the laboratory.
Forsyth additionally educated the public by presenting numerous popular and semi-popular lectures on Ohio geology to teachers' groups, nature clubs and centers, and other organizations interested in natural history. Forsyth's reputation as an exciting and enthusiastic speaker and teacher led to repeated invitations to give lectures throughout Ohio. She was a frequent leader of "brown bag geology" sessions for the Metroparks in Toledo, Ohio. For more than two decades, she was a principal speaker at the training sessions during May sponsored by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for young and new Ohio naturalists. In 1983, Forsyth received the Annual Certificate of Appreciation from the Ohio Conservation and Outdoor Education Association for contributions in teaching geology in the field.
Forsyth also participated in training sessions for Ohio's soil scientists. She frequently joined the sessions organized by George Hall, State Soil Geologist for OSU, and one of Forsyth's good friends. Her informative lectures explained how the geology of Ohio helped to control the soil formation. The Association of Ohio Pedologists made Forsyth an honorary member of their organization in recognition of her contributions as an outstanding geomorphologist.
Forsyth presented lectures on Ohio fractured tills and related topics in the Ohio Fracture Flow Working Group, which functions as an "ad hoc" research group under the aegis of/he Ohio Academy of Science. She helped to organize the group in 1993 and remained an active member until 2001. Her involvement included non-technical lectures to garden clubs, wild life groups, and at local park gatherings. On a technical level she took part in symposia and field excursions, and co-wrote the introduction to the first special issue of the OFFWG (Ohio J. Sci. 100 [3/4]. 2000). Focusing on fractures in Ohio's glacial tills, the April 2006 issue of the Ohio Journal of Science was dedicated to Forsyth for her pioneering work on glacial geology.
Forsyth's research chiefly concerned the glacial geology and Pleistocene geology of Ohio. She contributed significantly to knowledge about the age relationship of soils and tills to northern Ohio glacial geology. Other areas of investigations involved Wisconsinan chronology in Ohio; geomorphology; human environmental geology; and ecology, notably the relationship between plant distribution and geology in the Midwest. Her resulting publications include at least 62 known scientific and popular papers, 50 abstracts, 20 field trip guides, 12 geologic maps published independently, and 21 book reviews on various aspects of geology, mostly relating to Ohio. Botanist Ronald L. Stuckey, Forsyth's longtime friend, compiled the book "Linking Ohio geology and botany: papers by Jane L. Forsyth" in which he republished 48 papers and 20 abstracts written by Forsyth (R. L. Stuckey, Columbus. 2003). In his Appendix I, he provided bibliographical lists of the titles of Forsyth's publications not republished, including 21 papers, 10 essays, 29 abstracts, 20 field trip guides, 12 geological maps, 21 book reviews, and 12 unpublished manuscripts.
In professional associations, Forsyth held memberships in the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, the American Quaternary Association, the Association of Ohio Pedologists (honorary member), the Geological Society of America (fellow; member, Quaternary and Geomorphology Panel, 1983-1985), the National Association of Geology Teachers (councilor-at-large, 1982-1984), and the Ohio Biological Survey (Editorial Committee). She was elected to a number of honorary societies: Beta Beta Beta (1967), Mortar Board (1974), Phi Kappa Phi (1973), Phi Sigma (1944), and Sigma Xi (1967). In addition to the awards previously mentioned in this obituary, Forsyth received other honors: the Ohioana Library Citation Award (1976) for her contributions in environmental geology and geobotany, and the Orton Award (2000) that The Ohio State University conferred in recognizing Forsyth as a distinguished alumna of its Department of Geological Sciences. In 1975 the governor of Ohio appointed Forsyth to the Ohio Natural Areas Council which advised the Ohio Department of Natural Resources in purchasing and managing the state's natural areas.
Forsyth was a private person while at the same time she gave freely in counseling and caring for her students, popularizing geology in Ohio, and promoting conservation efforts in Ohio. She enjoyed the outdoors and truly liked hiking and exploring the landscapes in her professional pursuits and public outreach. While a student at OSU, she liked playing the chimes organ located in the tower of Orton Hall, home to the Department of Geology (now School of Earth Sciences). She took one final tour of the tower to see the organ when she received the Orton Award in 2000. After retiring in 1992, she remained active, writing, publishing, giving an occasional lecture, and traveling. In keeping with her private nature, she requested that no memorial services be held. She specified, however, that her previously anonymous gift to Simpson Garden Park in Bowling Green, Ohio, should be made public and that acknowledgment be given after her death. According to those wishes, a celebration of the Life and Contributions of lane L. Forsyth took place on 11 October 2006 at the Garden. In respect of Forsyth's devotion to teaching, her bequest will be used in the new Children's Discovery Garden to teach about soils, fossils, and glaciers. Organized by the Ohio Fracture Flow Working Group, an additional memorial was held at Highlands Metro Park north of Columbus on 29 April 2007. Forsyth was cremated. The Dunn Funeral Home in Bowling Green handled arrangements.
Tax-deductible memorial gifts may be made to The Ohio Academy of Science Geology Fund or to the Bowling Green Parks and Recreation Foundation for the Simpson Garden Park in Jane's honor. Contact Michelle Grigore, Bowling Green Parks and Recreation, 1291 Conneaut Avenue, Bowling Green, OH 43402
--WILLIAM R. BURK, RONALD L. STUCKEY
Bernice (Duke) Lyon (1924-2006)
Bernice (Duke) Lyon, age 82, a teacher retired from the Dublin City School District in Dublin, Ohio, died 21 December 2006 in Duke-Raleigh Health Hospital in Raleigh, North Carolina from complications following heart surgery. A devoted teacher, she instilled an interest in science in her students. Lyon joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1972, becoming an emeritus member in 1986.
The daughter of Earl and Carrie (Balls) Duke, Bernice Duke was born 29 October 1924 in Jackson County, West Virginia. She received a diploma (1940) from Sandyville High School in Sandyville, West Virginia; a B.A. (1943) in science education cure laude from Glenville State College; and an M.A. (1960) in physical science education from Marshall University. Lyon then studied at Texas A & M University in College Station, but did not receive a degree. Before she became an educator, Lyon tested milk for the presence of bacteria for the West Virginia State Health Department. Teaching first in the Kanawha County Schools in Kanawha County, West Virginia and then in the Dublin City Schools, Lyon taught science, earth science, and chemistry. To stimulate students' curiosity, Lyon took them on field trips and participated in the annual science fair. Extremely popular, Lyon earned the respect of faculty, parents and students.
Bernice Lyon was a volunteer for and advisor to the Ross Foundation, an organization that grants scholarships to college students. She amassed a collection of decorative tiles of such quality that the Ohio Historical Center Museum exhibited a portion of it. She also collected wildlife art.
Husband Willette Eugene Lyon predeceased Bernice Lyon. Surviving is Dr. Berman Duane Hudson of Apex, North Carolina. The Lyons had welcomed him into their home as a child and raised him as a son. Surviving also are three grandchildren. The family held a memorial service 28 December 2006 at Christ the King Lutheran Church in Cary, North Carolina. Brown-Wynne Funeral Home in Cary was in charge of arrangements. Lyon was cremated, and her ashes deposited alongside those of her husband at Dawes Arboretum in Newark, Ohio. Friends may make contributions to the Ross Foundation, 50 West Broad Street, Suite 3300, Columbus, Ohio 43215. Interested parties may consult an obituary in the News and Observer (27 December 2006).
Frederick Hamilton Norris (1912-2006)
Frederick Hamilton Norris, age 93, Professor Emeritus of Botany at University of Tennessee, died 13 November 2006 at Otterbein Retirement Living Community near Lebanon, Ohio. Norris earned a number of honors in recognition of his excellence in teaching botany, including the Alumni Outstanding Teacher Award from UT (1972), the Conservation Teaching Award from the East Tennessee Education Association (1977), and the Meritorious Teaching Award from the Association of Southeastern Biologists (1982). In The Ohio Academy of Science, he joined (1939), affiliated with the Plant Sciences Section, became a Fellow (1944), and was accorded emeritus status (1981).
Born on 28 December 1912 in Westerville, Ohio, Frederick Hamilton Norris was the fourth of seven children of Vernon and Julia (Hamilton) Norris. Young Norris attended primary and secondary schools in Westerville and then enrolled at Otterbein College, where he earned the B.S. (1934) in biological sciences with a minor in education. He then matriculated at The Ohio State University, studying botany under the supervision of noted plant ecologist Edgar N. Transeau and serving as a graduate assistant in botany (1935-1937). Norris earned an M.S. (1937) and wrote his thesis on "Some Effects of Measured Shading on Leaf Anatomy." He continued his botanical studies in the department and taught botany as a graduate assistant (1937-1939), head assistant (1939-1943), and instructor in charge of laboratories (1943-1947). During summers, he held several positions: social case worker, Montgomery County, Federal Emergency Relief Administration, Dayton, Ohio (1935); inspector of perishable produce, Railway Perishable Inspection Agency, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1937); and inspector and field group leader, Barberry Eradication Program (in Ross County, Ohio), United States Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine (1938).
Aware of his outstanding reputation as a teacher, the Department of Botany at University of Tennessee recruited Norris as an instructor (1947-1949). While at UT, he completed his requirements for the Ph.D. in botany (1948) from OSU and wrote his dissertation on "Primary Forest Types of Highland County, Ohio." Devoting his remaining career in botany at UT, he advanced in the ranks: assistant professor (1949-1953), associate professor (1953-1957), professor (1957-1980), and professor emeritus (1980-2006). Concurrently Norris was a visiting professor of botany at University of Arkansas, sponsored by the National Science Foundation's Summer Institute for High School Science Teachers (summer 1957). Although retiring in 1980, he was a visiting professor at Urbana College in Urbana, Ohio, for several years in the early 1980s. He moved to Lebanon, Ohio, about 1994.
Norris held research interests in plant ecology, vegetation surveys in Ohio and Tennessee, microclimatology, morphology and growth patterns. His professional focus, however, was on teaching, and he became a consummate teacher at UT. He taught several undergraduate and graduate courses, including introductory botany, field botany/taxonomy, plant morphology, and plant growth. Additionally, he was the supervisor of the greenhouses at UT (1952-1980). When new greenhouses were built and replaced the old ones, they were named the Fred Norris Greenhouses in his honor at a dedication on 16 November 1984.
His educational outreach extended beyond the university setting. From 1951 to 1981, Norris participated in numerous educational-related activities. In 1951 he was instrumental in establishing the Annual Spring Wildflower Pilgrimage in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and he served as a trip leader for a number of years. He also gave training programs for state parks and naturalists. Norris served as an advisor and a judge for middle and high school science projects for the Southern Appalachian Science Fair and college projects for the Tennessee Junior Academy of Science; and instructor for Conservation-Education Summer Camp promoted by UT's College of Education.
In professional associations he held memberships in the American Association for the Advancement of Science (fellow, Committee on Teaching Science and Mathematics), the American Association of University Professors, the American Institute of Biological Sciences, the Association of Southeastern Biologists, the Botanical Society of America (Education Committee), the Ecological Society of America, the National Association of Biology Teachers, the Phycological Society of America, the Tennessee Academy of Science (fellow), and the Tennessee Education Association. He was elected to a number of honorary societies, including Gamma Sigma Delta, Phi Epsilon Phi, and Sigma Xi. Among his hobbies, he particularly enjoyed photography, music, and bee keeping. He was a member of the United Methodist Church.
Frederick Hamilton Norris was preceded in death by his wife Pauline (Kelser) Norris, whom he had married in 1938. Surviving him are son Frank Kelser (Carol) Norris of Knoxville, Tennessee; daughter Catherine Elizabeth McKiblin of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; grandchildren, Meui McKiblin of California and Eben McKiblin of British Columbia; and great granddaughter, Sita McKiblin of British Columbia. Frederick Norris was cremated. The Otterbein Living Community held a memorial service for Norris on 17 November 2006. His ashes were buried with a marker in the cemetery of the Community, where his wife's ashes are also buried.
--WILLIAM R. BURK
Denzil Lewis Prather, Sr. (1921-2005)
Denzil Lewis Prather St., age 84, founder of Adena Petroleum Inc., died 2 December 2005 at Marietta Memorial Hospital in Marietta, Ohio, from a blood clot. A consultant to petroleum and natural gas companies, Prather applied geology to the practical end of discovering new deposits of oil and natural gas. From the United States Army Air Corps Prather received the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Campaign Medal, five Bronze Stars, and the Air Medal with three Oak Clusters. His unit received the Croix de Guerre from the French government. Prather joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1988, affiliating with the Geology Section.
The son of Hugh and Deborah (Lewis) Prather, Denzil Lewis Prather was born 18 March 1921 in Elizabeth, West Virginia. Denzil Prather graduated from Elizabeth High School in 1938 and attended Potomac State College of West Virginia University in Keyser between 1938 and 1940, though he did not receive a degree. During World War II he served in the Army Air Corp with the 801st/492nd Bombardment Group (known as the Carpetbaggers) of the Eighth Air Force. Outfitted in the B-24 Liberator, Prather flew 30 missions in Normandy, northern France, the Rhineland, the Ardennes, and central Europe. Honorably discharged from the Army, he was the first graduate from the Marietta College School of Petroleum (1947) in Marietta, Ohio. A geologist, Prather worked in the oil fields of Texas, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kentucky and Ohio. He was a partner in WEVA Oil and Gas, in Prather-Ruddock Company, and in Loper and Prather, which US. News and World Report named a leading consulting firm. Between 1953 and 1980 he worked for the Southwestern Development Company.
In addition to The Ohio Academy of Science, Prather was a member of the Society for Petroleum Engineers for more than 30 years. He also held membership in the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the West Virginia Geological Society.
An avid golfer, Denzil Prather could boast of two holes-in-one. A member of the Belpre Congregational Church in Belpre, Ohio, for 40 years, Prather held several church offices. He was a former member of the Wirt County Board of Education in Elizabeth, West Virginia. Prather owned a farm in Belpre and enjoyed his retirement there.
Daughter Kathy Taylor and two brothers predeceased Denzil Prather. Surviving is wife Madeline (Shimer) Prather. She and Denzil Prather had married 13 May 1945 in Parkersburg, West Virginia. Surviving also are sons Denzil Lewis Prather, Jr. of Saint Mary's, West Virginia and David Prather of Vienna, West Virginia, daughters Linda Holtgrewe of Williamstown, West Virginia, Mary Smith of Perrysburg, Ohio, and Anne Scarbro of Westerville, Ohio, 15 grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, brother Bruce Prather of Abbingdon, Virginia and sister Wilma Anderson of Midland, Texas. The family held a funeral 5 December 2005 at Leavitt Funeral Home in Belpre, the Reverend Jeffrey Atwater officiating. Denzil Prather is buried at Rockland Cemetery in Belpre. Friends may make contributions to the Scholarship Fund at Belpre High School, 2014 Washington Boulevard, Belpre, Ohio 45714. Interested parties may consult an obituary of Denzil Prather in the Marietta Times (5 December 2005).
Robert Charles Romans (1937-2007)
Robert Charles Romans, age 69, Associate Professor Emeritus of Biological Sciences at Bowling Green State University, died on 11 May 2007 at his home in Superior, Wisconsin, of a heart attack. A popular lecturer and outstanding educator, Romans earned a number of honors at BGSU, including Distinguished Teacher Award in Natural Sciences (1973), Faculty of the Year Award (1977) from Alpha Lambda Delta, Master Teacher Award (1986) from the Alumni Association, and two Faculty Excellence Awards (1980, 1985) from the Student Government. He organized two conferences, Geobotany (1976) and Geobotany II (1980), and edited their proceedings for publication (Plenum Press, 1977, 1981). In The Ohio Academy of Science, he joined (1971), affiliated with the Plant Sciences Section (membership chair, 1978; vice-president, 1979-1980; and session chair, 1980),was elected a Fellow (1978), and was accorded emeritus status (1995). An active member of the Academy, Romans served as Secretary (1982-1983) and associate editor of The Ohio Journal of Science (1989-April 1994).
Robert Charles Romans, born 12 October 1937 in Hawthorne, Wisconsin, was the son of James Harlan and Jeannette Caroline (Johnson) Romans. Young Romans graduated from Superior Central High School in Superior, Wisconsin, in 1956. He later enrolled at Wisconsin State University--Superior (now University of Wisconsin at Superior). In biology, he earned a B.S. (1965) and an M.S.T. (1966), and served as a faculty assistant (1965-1966). While a student, he also was a lay pastor for Lutheran churches in Patzau and Bennett and on several occasions at the Presbyterian Church in Bruele, Wisconsin. Awarded a three-year fellowship from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, he pursued doctoral studies at Arizona State University. Under the direction of Professor James E. Canright, Romans earned the Ph.D. in botany (1969) and wrote his dissertation on the "Palynology of Some Upper Cretaceous Coals of Black Mesa, Arizona." Joining the Department of Biological Sciences at Bowling Green State University, Romans advanced in the ranks: assistant professor (1969-1975), associate professor (1975-1994), and associate professor emeritus (1994-2007). Concurrently, he also served as assistant chair for undergraduate affairs in his department (1985-1992). He retired in 2004 and returned to his hometown in Wisconsin.
Romans was a popular and well-liked teacher at BGSU. He believed that a good teacher inspires students to teach themselves. He also believed in enlivening his lectures with humor to create a relaxed atmosphere for a successful class. His philosophy of teaching greatly influenced his students. He taught over 15 courses to undergraduates and graduates. His undergraduate courses included Introduction to Biology, Man and His Environment; and his graduate courses included Plant Anatomy, Morphology of Vascular Plants, and Paleobotany. He also developed a graduate course on Advanced Palynology. He had eight graduate advisees during his career and served on 45 thesis committees.
Introduction to Biology, one of his favorite courses to teach, attracted nearly 250 students each semester and was among the most popular courses on campus. By 1990 over 10,000 students had enrolled in his introductory biology course. It has been stated elsewhere that "he had an ability to teach biology on a common level so that people would leave his class with some appreciation of biology and the world that we live in." He also served as an advisor to numerous student clubs, organizations, and honor societies. His honors and awards as a teacher have been previously cited in this sketch. As a further testament of his devotion to education, Romans donated the royalties from various manuals that he published to establish the Robert C. Romans Biological Sciences Scholarship. The College of Arts and Sciences at BGSU recognized Romans for his exemplary role as an advisor to students by conferring on him the Undergraduate Advisor Award in 1991.
Romans's research involved Cretaceous palynology in Arizona, paleobotany, and anatomy and morphology of vascular plants. His publications culminated with a "Bibliography of Ohio Paleobotany" co-authored with Patricia S. McCann (Informative Circular, Ohio Biological Survey, no. 6. 1974), two volumes on geobotany (previously mentioned), and at least eight biology laboratory manuals ("Biology Principles Laboratory Manual" 1st-5th editions, Collegiate Publishing, 1975-1977, 1979, and 1981; "Principles of Biology Laboratory Manual," 1st edition, Burgess Publishing Company, 1983, 2nd-3rd editions, Bellwether Press, 1987, 1991).
Besides his active role in teaching and research, Romans served on numerous committees at BGSU. In the Biological Sciences Department he was a member of the curriculum committee (19771993) and committees on alumni affairs, student recruitment, and the library, among others. He also served on nine college councils or committees and 20 university committees. The Undergraduate Student Government recognized his contributions and services to his department, the college, and the university by bestowing the Hollis A. Moore Service Award on Romans in 1988.
In scientific associations Romans held memberships in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Association of Stratigraphic Palynologists, the American Forestry Association, the American Institute of Biological Sciences, the Arizona Academy of Science, the Botanical Society of America, the International Organization of Paleobotany, the International Society of Plant Morphologists, the Michigan Botanical Club, the Paleontological Association, the Southern Appalachian Botanical Society, and the Torrey Botanical Club. He was elected to the honorary societies Alpha Lambda Delta (honorary member), Beta Beta Beta (BGSU advisor, 1976-1980), Mortar Board (honorary member), Omicron Delta Kappa, and Sigma Xi. Romans enjoyed pastimes of gardening, reading, listening to music, basketball, and college hockey. He served as precinct committeeman of the Republican party, Foxboro, Wisconsin (1961) and as deacon of Plain Congregational Church, Bowling Green (1978-1982).
Surviving Robert Charles Romans are his wife Jean Marie (Law) Romans, whom he had married on 4 January 1964 at Bethel Lutheran Church, Superior; son Bradley Keith of Bowling Green; and sister Marjorie Nelson. He was predeceased by four brothers, Dean, Myron "Mike," Jimmie, and Russell; and a sister, Carol Wiberg. On May 18, 2007, visitation hours were held, followed by a memorial service at Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church in Superior. Pastor David Schoessow officiated. Downs Funeral Home, Superior, handled arrangements. Romans was cremated on 15 May 2007. Memorial contributions may be made to the Robert C. Romans Biological Sciences Scholarship, Department of Biological Sciences, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403.
--WILLIAM R. BURK
Albert Siekeres (1916-2001)
Albert Siekeres, age 85, Ohio science teacher, died 20 July 2001 at his home in Fostoria, Ohio. Devoting five decades to teaching, he taught chemistry and physics for nearly 30 years at Fostoria High School, where he was also the first driver's education teacher, His honors include four National Science Foundation scholarships. In The Ohio Academy of Science, he joined (1939), affiliated with the Zoology Section, and was accorded emeritus status. Siekeres received the Academy's Outstanding Science Teacher's Award in recognition of his exemplary contributions to teaching (1961-1962).
Albert Siekeres, born 13 January 1916 in Cleveland, Ohio, was the son of Mbert and Marie (Hedervary) Siekeres, Sr. He received a diploma (1933) from Brownhelm High School, Lorain County, Ohio. He subsequently studied at Bowling Green State University, earning the B.S. in education (1938) and the M.A. in biology (1948). Under the direction of Professor Eldie Eugene Dickerman, Siekeres completed his thesis on a survey and comparative study of "The Helminth Parasites of Fishes from Maumee and Sandusky Rivers in Ohio." He also enrolled in graduate courses at The Ohio State University (summers, 1938,1939 and 1941). Siekeres furthered his education at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (summer, 1957), BGSU (1957-1958), University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (summer, 1958), and Miami (Oxford) University (summer, 1960).
As a high school science teacher in Ohio, he taught at Camden Township schools, Lorain County, (1938-1941); Arlington schools, Hancock County (1941-1943); and Fostoria City schools (1943-1973). While teaching in the Fostoria City schools, he also directed the audio-visual department and the planetarium. At Fostoria High School, he was chair of the Science Department and also taught basketball. Concurrently, he held additional positions: part-time instructor (1960-1968) and director (1968-1973), Fostoria Academic Center, BGSU; and instructor in biology (1973-1988), Owens Technical College. For a decade he directed the Fostoria Science Fair. Outside of teaching, Siekeres held several positions: chemist, Brush Beryllium Company; quality control worker, Union Carbide Corporation; cereal chemist, Mennel Milling Company; and plant inspector, Ohio Department of Agriculture.
In professional organizations Siekeres was a member of the Great Lakes Planetarium Association, the International Society of Planetarium Educators, the National Education Association (life member), and the Ohio Education Association. He was a member of the honorary society Phi Delta Kappa. Enjoying a number of hobbies, he particularly liked gardening, traveling, cooking, computers, and sports (notably golf). He was a member of High Street United Methodist Church, Fostoria.
At the time of his death, Albert Siekeres was survived by his wife Margaret Kathleen (Amos) Siekeres, whom he had married on 6 June 1940 in Portage, Ohio, and who died on 16 January 2007. Surviving are two daughters Mrs. Robert (Judith) Elphinstone of Portersville and Mrs. Kurt (Janet) Goszyk of Washington Crossing, both of Pennsylvania; and seven grandchildren. He was preceded in death by step-brother John A. Siekeres. There was no memorial service or visitation. According to his wishes, Siekeres's body was donated to Medical College of Ohio in Toledo. Mann-Hare Funeral Home in Fostoria handled the final arrangements. Memorial contributions may be made to the Albert and Kathleen Siekeres Biology Scholarship, Mileti Alumni Center, BGSU, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403-0053.
--WILLIAM R. BURK
Edward Eugene Slowter (1912-2006)
Edward Eugene Slowter, age 93, Vice President for Administration and Secretary-Treasurer of Battelle Memorial Institute, died 5 June 2006 at his home in Columbus, Ohio from cancer. A chemical engineer, Slowter developed expertise in administration and finance. During his successful career, he earned a number of honors: the Commendation Ribbon (1944) from the U. S. Army; the Distinguished Alumnus Award (1960) from The Ohio State University; the Man of the Year Award (1961) from the Columbus Technical Council; a Citation (1970) from the Ohio Society of Professional Engineers; the Centennial Achievement Award (1970) from OSU; the Certificate of Award for Outstanding Service (1970-1971) from the National Society of Professional Engineers; the Meritorious Service Award (1976) from OSU; and the Order of Civil Merit (1976), the highest honor, from the Republic of Korea. The American Institute of Chemical Engineers and the American Society for Metals named Slowter a fellow in 1974 and 1976, respectively. Slowter joined The Ohio Academy of Science in 1971, becoming a life member in 1986.
Born 1 November 1912, Edward Eugene Slowter was the son of William Wilson and Nellie (Burt) Slowter. After receiving a diploma from East Columbus High School (1930), Edward Slowter attended OSU where he earned a Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering (1934), an M.S. in chemical engineering (1935), and a Ch.E. (1939). His M.S. thesis was on "Cracking Petroleum with Fused Metals." The American Institute of Chemical Engineering published a summation of his thesis in its Transactions (1935). While a graduate student, Slowter joined Battelle as a research fellow (1934-1935). Leaving Battelle briefly, Slowter became a development engineer (1935-1936) for Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company, where he detailed operating procedures for the new electrolytic caustic plant. Returning to Battelle in September 1936, Slowter conducted research on the effects of controlling a factory's atmosphere on the making of steel as well as on the methods of vapor plating metals. This work was the foundation for multi-million dollar research at Battelle and other companies. In February 1942 the U. S. Army commissioned Slowter a second lieutenant. He taught soldiers to fire antiaircraft guns at the Antiaircraft Artillery School. In October 1945 Slowter mustered out a major. Returning to Battelle that month, Slowter took charge of the financing of all research. In 1966 he oversaw Battelle's international operations. Working with the U. S. and the Republic of Korea, Slowter helped found the Korea Institute of Science and Technology (1972).
Among his twenty-two publications, thirteen concern methods of making steel and of vapor plating metals, topics of his early research. From this work Slowter received three patents. Other publications focused on the firing of antiaircraft guns--his work while in the Army--and on careers in engineering. His last paper detailed his role in helping found the Korea Institute of Science and Technology.
In professional organizations, Slowter was a leader and served on numerous committees. In the National Society of Professional Engineers, he was a member of three chapters: Franklin County Chapter (secretary, 1956-1957; vice president, 1957-1958; and president, 1958-1959); Ohio Chapter (headquarters committee chairman, 1961-1962; trustee, 1959-1960; vice president, 19621963; president, 1963-1964; and director, 1964-1970; and the National Chapter (president, 1976-1977; leadership roles in at least 12 committees). An active member of OSU's Committee of 100 for Engineering, Slowter served as chairman (1958-2006) and chaired a number of its subcommittees. Slowter actively served such scholarly groups as: the Society of Sigma Xi (board of electors, 1934-2006), the OSU Research Foundation (board of directors, 1970-2006), the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Central Ohio Section (secretary-treasurer, 1948), the American Society for Metals (finance committee, 1964-2006; investment committee, 1971-2006; treasurer, 1974-1975). In civic organizations, he was a member of the Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce (1957-2006), Columbus Rotary (Foundation Committee, chair 1971-1973), the Torch Club (vice president, 1973-1974; president, 1974-1975), and the Cosmos Club (19682006). He was treasurer (1952-1954), president (1954-1955) and trustee (1961-1963) of the First Unitarian-Universalist Church of Columbus. Slowter enjoyed traveling. The list of countries that Slowter visited was much longer than the list of countries that he did not visit, recalls son William. During his travels he saw, among other places, large parts of the United States, China, Russia and Western and Eastern Europe.
Wives Elizabeth Turner and Esther Backus Barneby predeceased Slowter. Turner and Slowter had married 16 August 1941, and Barneby and Slowter had wed 3 July 1980. Surviving him are daughters Elizabeth Lenore (Slowter) Tunick of New York City and Mary Louise (Slowter) Nescott of Ham&n, Connecticut; and son William John Slowter of Minneapolis, Minnesota. The family held a memorial service 8 July 2006 at the First Unitarian-Universalist Church in Columbus. Slowter was cremated and his ashes deposited at Evergreen Cemetery in Columbus. Friends may make contributions to the First Unitarian-Universalist Church, 93 West Weisheimer Road, Columbus, Ohio 43214 or to a charity of their choice. Interested parties may consult an obituary in the Columbus Dispatch (6 June 2006), an article in the Dispatch (1 August 1976), and a resume on file in the office of The Ohio Academy of Science.
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS. Breeding photo courtesy Juliann Breeding; Chorpenning photo courtesy of Jon Chorpenning; Forsyth photo courtesy of The University of Cincinnati; Lyon photo courtesy of Berman Hudson; Norris photo courtesy of the Photography Center, University of Tennessee; Romans photo courtesy of Marketing and Communications, Bowling Green State University; Siekeres photo courtesy of Judy Siekeres Elphinstone; Slowter photo courtesy of William Slowter.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Author:||Burk, William R.|
|Publication:||The Ohio Journal of Science|
|Date:||Dec 1, 2007|
|Previous Article:||Vegetation release eight years after removal of Lonicera maackii in West-Central Ohio.|
|Next Article:||Declining water quality in the Western Lake Erie basin: increasing invasion of blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), and increasing levels of soluble...|