ON THIS DAY MAY 4.
1780: The first Derby was run at Epsom. The name of the race was decided by a toss of a coin between the 12th Earl of Derby and Sir Charles Bunbury. Bunbury had the consolation of seeing his horse, Diomed, partnered by jockey Sam Arnull, win the race.
1966: Peter Shilton made his Football League debut, playing for Leicester against Everton. The goalkeeper went on to play in a record 1,005 league games and won a record 125 England caps.
2003: Manchester United won their eighth Premier League title in 11 seasons after Arsenal fell out of contention.
2005: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho signed a new five-year contract at the club.
RON SAUNDERS' reward for taking Aston Villa to the League title was possibly going to be the job of English football's first paid managing director. Chairman Ron Bendall told the Mirror: ''I think the appointment of paid managing directors will be approved before the start of next season. If so, it will be seriously considered by Aston Villa.'' Saunders resigned the following February over a disagreement about his contract.
1. Who scored the matchwinning goal for Man Utd in the 2016 FA Community Shield?
2. Which county does England batsman Jos Buttler play for?
3. Victoria Azarenka was beaten by which player in the US Open women's singles final in both 2012 and 2013?
4. Name the Irishman who won the Tour de France in 1987.
5. What is the name of Houston's NBA team?
1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic; 2. Lancashire; 3. Serena Williams; 4. Stephen Roche; 5. The Rockets
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Mirror (London, England)|
|Date:||May 4, 2019|
|Previous Article:||PEP: TOON TO KOP IT.|
|Next Article:||I knew Raheem would be world class when he was 17 I SAW IT IN HIS EYES; MANCHESTER CITY V LEICESTER PREMIER LEAGUE MONDAY, KO 8PM; DESPITE THEIR...|