Printer Friendly

OCCIDENTAL MAKES OIL DISCOVERY IN OMAN

 LOS ANGELES, Oct. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Occidental Petroleum Corp. announced today that Occidental of Oman Inc., as operator for a joint venture that includes Neste Oy, has made an oil discovery in the 1.6-million-acre Suneinah Block in northwestern Oman.
 Wadi Latham-1, the discovery well, is located near the southern border of the block approximately 20 miles west of the Al Barakah field discovered by Occidental in 1991. On test, the well flowed at a daily rate of 2,439 barrels of 40-degree API gravity oil and 2.2 million cubic feet of gas through an 80/64-inch choke from 201 feet of section in a medium radius horizontal hole between 6,719 feet and 6,920 feet in the Shuaiba limestone formation.
 Dr. Ray R. Irani, chairman, president and chief executive officer, said Occidental has an ambitious exploration program for the block. "We believe that we have found the key for finding new reserves in this part of Oman, and many prospects exist which will keep us busy exploring for the next two years."
 Occidental currently produces 32,000 barrels per day from the Safah field discovered in 1983 and from the Al Barakah field. In developing both fields, Occidental has utilized horizontal wells to minimize the number of wells to obtain high recovery and production rates. The most recent producing well drilled in the Safah field attained a medium radius horizontal section of 4,944 feet, a record in the Middle East.
 Occidental is operator with a 65 percent working interest. Neste Oy, the Finnish state oil company, holds the remaining 35 percent working interest.
 -0- 10/13/93
 /CONTACT: Howard Collins (media), 310-443-6523, or Kenneth J. Huffman (investors), 212-603-8183/


CO: Occidental Petroleum Corp. ST: California IN: OIL SU:

EH-LM -- LA026 -- 1733 10/13/93 13:37 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Oct 13, 1993
Words:299
Previous Article:NUTRITION EXPRESS CORPORATION OF COLORADO INC. SIGNS MERGER AGREEMENT WITH NUTRITION EXPRESS CORPORATION OF UTAH INC.
Next Article:NABORS INDUSTRIES, INC. ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters