Printer Friendly

OAP death due to 'safe' wheat bag; INQUEST.

AN OAP died after a wheat bag used to warm her bed was overheated in a microwave, an inquest heard yesterday.

Doreen Ghiloni, 82, used it as a hot water bottle but it smouldered, filling her home with smoke.

A neighbour helped rescue her in Leeds on May 22 last year, but she died later in hospital.

Her family bought the bag as they thought it safer than a hot water bottle.

Coroner David Hinchliff said he would write to safety chiefs to highlight the lack of instructions on the wheat bags.

At Leeds coroners' court on Tuesday Chris Clarke of West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, said: "We learn from disasters and unfortunately we have to have disasters to learn from.

"I know we cannot go back and help your mother but hopefully we can help other people in the future."

Mr Hinchcliff recorded a verdict of misadventure.


TRAGIC Ms Ghiloni
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Jun 11, 2009
Previous Article:Ear saved - in stomach; MEDICINE.
Next Article:Girl, 11, has bones of an 85 year old; AMY'S RARE DISEASE FIGHT.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters