Printer Friendly

Non-recovery of Mir Salahuddin Mengal: BHCBA mulling over to observe complete strike of courts.

QUETTA -- President Balochistan High Court Bar Association (BHCBA), Mir Zahoor Ahmed Shahwani has strongly criticized the provincial government for its failure in recovery of the senior lawyer of Supreme Court and former Advocate General of Balochistan, Dr. Mir Salahuddin Mengal, who was kidnapped in first week of last month.

Addressing a press conference here at the Bar Room of Balochistan High Court here the other day, the President BHCBA regretfully pointed out that non-recovery of Salahuddin Mengal despite lapse of over one and half month is sorrowful what he also termed it failure.

He charged that the government has failed in fulfilling its responsibilities with regard to protect life and property of the masses like the past governments.

He said that the incidents of target killings, kidnapping for ransom and recovery of the decomposed bodies are continued continuously and there is no end to the same.

The law and order situation is poor like the past and there seems no respite at the moment.

Referring the kidnapping of Mir Salahuddin Mengal, Zahoor Shahwani said that the lawyers' community is highly concerned over the incident.

He said that a meeting of the general body of the association has been convened on May 20 to decide future course of action against non-recovery of Mengal.

We are considering to observe complete strike in the courts all over the province including Quetta if he (Mengal) was not recovered immediately, Zahoor Shahwani maintained.

Meanwhile, the lawyers' community observed token strike against non-recovery of the former Advocate General of Balochistan in the courts the same day.

Needless to mention here is that the lawyers are observing protest against kidnapping of the senior lawyer since his abduction on April 3 from Sariab road.

The Balochistan High Court had also taken a suo moto notice of his kidnapping.

During a report submitted by the Police in the High Court during hearing the other day, pursuant to the said offence, raids have been conducted and continue to be conducted and notorious proclaimed offenders in other kidnapping and murder cases have been apprehended and weapons recovered. He further states that further investigation is proceeding.

According to the Assistant Advocate General, the Balochistan Police has sought assistance with regard to 'Geo Fencing' as attended to in Paragraph 1 of the last order, but the same has not been provided yet.

During the hearing, the Deputy Attorney General (DAG) had stated that he had contacted the Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Government of Pakistan, as well as, Inspector General (IG) of Police Islamabad and had communicated Paragraph 1 of the order of this Court to them and assured complete cooperation, however, it appeared that the said assistance has not been provided.

On the last date of hearing, the court had directed the Ministry of Interior to provide complete assistance to the Balochistan Police with regard to 'Geo Fencing', as the Balochistan Police wants to locate the whereabouts of Mr. Salahuddin Mengal, Advocate. On that the DAG assured that the said assistance would be provided and if required the necessary personnel will be sent from Islamabad . We expect no less, as Balochistan is suffering a kidnapping for ransom endemic.

On the last date of hearing, the Ministry of Interior was directed to provide complete assistance, therefore, if the requisite assistance is not provided, orders may be passed in this regard, including initiation of proceedings against the delinquent officers of the Ministry of Interior for contempt of Court.
COPYRIGHT 2013 Asianet-Pakistan
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2013 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Balochistan Times (Baluchistan Province, Pakistan)
Date:May 18, 2013
Words:573
Previous Article:Written tests in QESCO postponed.
Next Article:Supply of coal from various coalmine fields stopped.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters