Nominations invited for the first Sir Patrick Moore Prize.
The Association has received a generous donation from member Mike Davies CBE which Council has agreed will be used to award a prize of 250 [pounds sterling] annually in memory of Sir Patrick Moore.
The prize will be awarded to a member or members or to an affiliated society or school, for one or more of the following areas of activity, selected to reflect Sir Patrick's life and enthusiasms:
1. The encouragement of a public interest in astronomy
2. A contribution to the understanding of the history of astronomy
3. Outstanding observational work by a member or members under 21 years of age
4. The encouragement of participation in observational astronomy by youngsters
5. The carrying-out of a collaborative research project, whether between amateurs only, or also involving professional astronomers.
Council is now inviting nominations for the Prize. Recipients may be nominated by themselves or by another. Please send nominations, including a short statement explaining the reasons this person or persons should be considered for the Prize, to Madeleine Crow at the BAA Office (email firstname.lastname@example.org) by 2013 September 30. Nominations will be considered by a small committee, which will make a recommendation to Council, and the Prize will be presented at the December Ordinary Meeting.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||BAA Update|
|Publication:||Journal of the British Astronomical Association|
|Date:||Aug 1, 2013|
|Previous Article:||Meeting of the Comet Section: held at the Humfrey Rooms, Northampton on 2013 May 18.|
|Next Article:||Sky notes: 2013 August & September.|