Nielsen Audio: The Top 10 Markets.
1. NEW YORK 6+ population 15,697,400. CBS wins #1 in #1 with Classic Hits WCBS/FM, holding at 6.6-6.3-6.4 with a 4th high cume of 3.66 million. The gone from the charts and outta our hearts "Jack" detour was like thinking "New Coke" could replace the original. The string of #1′s is broken as Clear Channel (CCU) A/C WLTW slides to 2nd 6.8-7.1-6.2 despite a #1 cume of 4.76 million! Emmis Urban A/C WBLS holds 3rd 5.6-5.6-5.5 and ties with CCU CHR WHTZ 5.6-5.2-5.5. 5th share 6+ is also a tie between Spanish Broadcast System (SBS) Tropical WSKQ 5.1-5.5-4.5 and CCU ClassicRock WAXQ 4.4-4.3-4.5. Notes: CBS News pair finds WCBS 3.9-4.0-3.7 just "that hair" ahead of WINS 3.4-3.3-3.6. CBS Sports flagship WFAN A/F goes 3.8-3.1-3.3. CCU RymA/C WKTU slips 4.4-4.0-3.9 while Urban WWPR is 3.2-3.2-3.4. Emmis RymCHR WQHT went 3.5-3.4-3.2. CBS ties itself with HotA/C WWFS 2.9-3.3-3.1 and new kid CHR WBMP 2.1-2.4-3.1. Cumulus (CMLS) WPLJ gains 2.0-2.1-2.3 while Nash Country WNSH also ticks up 1.9-2.0-2.2. CCU Talk WOR stays 1.6-1.5-1.5 while CCU Talk 77 WABC is 1.6-1.3-1.3 and tied with NYC Classical WQXR 1.7-1.4-1.3. Two interesting non-coms tie at .7- FordhamU WFUV and Newark Jazz WBGO. 37 stations subscribe to Nielsen, while 15 don't for a 71% reporting index from 52 stations . Ethnic Comp. Hispanic 23%, Black 17% Market Shares: CCU 25.0, CBS 23.2, Emmis 9.0 and Spanish Broadcast System 7.1.
2. LOS ANGELES. 10,860,300. CCU #1 with Hot A/C KBIG steady 4.8-4.9-5.0 atthe 2nd highest cume. CCU has the #1 cume with 3rd place CHR KIIS/KVVS 5.3-5.2-4.6 and a huge 3.57 million. BTW, CCU also takes 5th share with A/C KOST 4.2-4.1-4.2. LA's #2 share is CBS ClassicHits KRTH 5.1-5.5-4.7 posting -.8 for the largest monthly fluctuation in this very crowded market. 4th spot belongs of Emmis RymCHR KPWR 4.4-4.6-4.4. Notes: L.A. is a great big freeway, put a hundred down and buy a car! 44 Nielsen Subscribing stations of which 24 register between a 3.2 an 1.1 share. 71 stations in all with a subscriber rate of 62%. CBS CHR K-AMP 3.8-4.0-3.9 and ties itself with steady 2.9 shares on AdultHits KCBS/F and ModRock KROQ while CCU Mod Rock is 2.2. Also at 2.9 is CCU Talk KFI. CBS News KNX is 2.5, Bonneville Classic Rock KSWD continues it's comeback 2.6-2.9-3.2 while CMLS ClassicRock KLOS hangs at 2.1-2.1-2.2. Univision has a pair in the Top 10 Romantica KLVE 4.1-3.6-3.5 and RegMexican KSCA 2.9-3.1-3.0. 9 stations are in the 2.2 -- 2.6 range including Entravision Spanish KLYY 2.6, SBS RegionalMex KLAX 2.4, Univision SpanishHits 2.3 and Liberman Reg.Mex 2.2. Ethnic comp is 43% Hispanic with 32% of the subscribers aiming in that direction. Not many cowboys in LA, as Lone Country is Mt. Wilson's KKGO at 2.4. Shares: CCU 23.9, CBS 17.1, Univision 8.8, Entravision 5.2, Emmis 5.2.
3. CHICAGO. 7,819,200. The market list 84 station! 44 list shares, 40 don't for a subscriber index of 52% . #1 6+ share CCU UrbanA/C WVAZ grows 5.6-5.9-6.1 with only the 13th market cume. CBS lands 2nd & 4th with News WBBM/WCFS-F strong at 5.0-5.0-5.5 and Country WUSN steady at 4.4-4.4-4.5. Hubbard Broadcasting holds on to 3rd with HotA/C WTMX 4.9-5.0-4.9. CCU has the #1 cume of 2.37 million from CHR WKSC/F 4.1-4.3-4.5, also tied for 4th. Notes: With the number of stations, it's pretty close. CBS RymCHR WBBM/F has #2 cume and a 4.4 share, tied with CMLS Classic Hits WLS/F. CCU HotA/C WLIT/F 3.8, Univision RegMex WOJO is 3.7 and a 3 way tie at 3.6 between Tribune's Talk WGN, CCU UrbanContemp. WGCI and CMLS ModRock WKQX. Hubbard's Classic Hits WDRV post 3.5-3.7-3.3 and A/C WILV is 2.9-3.0-2.6. CBS WXRT 2.9-3.4-3.1 and CBS Classic Hits WJMK 2.0-2.5-2.3. Crawford Broadcasting 's Urban Combo WPWX and WSRB is good for 3.4, Sports shows CBS WSCR 1.9 and ESPN WMVP 1.6. Digity lists their 6 station suburban cluster combining for 3.1 EthnicComp: Hispanic 20%, Black 17.6%. Shares: CBS 21.7, CCU 20.6, CMLS 11.5, Hubbard 10.8, Univision 6.9.
4. SAN FRANCISCO. 6,131,500. CBS News KCBS-KFRC/F has #1 share 5.8-5.4-5.6 on a #8 cume. CMLS Sports KNBR 6.1-5.8-5.1, News/Talk KQED 3rd 4.8-5.0-4.9, CBS CHR KMVQ 4.1-4.6-4.7 has the runner-up cume and CCU UrbanContemp KMEL grows 3.9-4.2-4.7. Notes: Entercom has #1 cume A/C KOIT at 1.42 million and 5th share 4.6-4.6-4.5. Notes: CCU penetrates the terrain with RymContempCHR KYLD 4.1, Hot A./C KIOI 4.0, R&BOldies WISQ 3.2 and ClassicHits KOSF 2.6. CBS HotA/C KLLC moves 2.9-3.1-3.3 while ModRock KITS holds 2.0 Univision Spanish KBRG dips 3.9-3.5-3.2 while Mexican KSOL/KSQL is in a 2.1 tie with SBS Reg.Mex KRZZ and U.So.Cal Classical Trimulcast KDFC. Rounding out the 2 share shows are ETM UrbanA/C KBLX 2.4-2.7-2.6, CMLS iconic calls Classic Rock KSAN at 2.4 and KFOG 2.2. EC is 22% Hispanic. 57 varieties of stations, 33 stations above the line, 14 below for a 70% subscribe index . Shares: CCU 20.1, CBS 15.6, CMLS 13.2, ETM 9.2, Univision 5.5
5. DALLAS. 5,301,200. 62 stations in Big D, 48% listed. CCU CHR KHKS is #1 and #1. Shares 6.6-6.3-6.2, cume 1.85 million. CCU also 5th with Classic Rock KZPS 4.2-3.9-3.9. CLMS has a pair of Country stations in the top 5: KPLX 6.6-6.1-5.6 and KSCS 3.9-3.-9-4.3 for 2nd and 4th. CBS ClassicHits KLUV takes 3rd 4.4-4.1-4.3. Notes: Service Broadcasting is a player with their Urban AC/UrbanContemp. combo KRNB 3.2-3.4-3.9 and 3.3-3.6-3.6. CCU has the Hot A/C WKDMX 3.3-3.3-3.7 and two Rockers WDGE 3.4-3.2-3.2 and KEGL 3.5-3.2-3.1. There's a RegionalMexican stand-off between Univision KLNO and CBS KMVK both at 3.0. Next are CBS HotA/C KVIL 3.1-3.2-2.9, Adult Hits WJKK 2.6-2.9-2.7 and News/Talk KRLD 2.3. Other News/Talkers are North Texas Public KERA 2.0 and CMLS WBAP 1.9. Salem Communications ' ContempChristian KLTY slips 4.2-4.1-3.5 and Radio One RymCHR KBFB is steady 3.3-3.3-3.4 as Urban A/C KSOC holds 2.0. Sports isn't big in Dallas as CMLS combines KTCK 2.2 with KESN 1.7 and CBS KRLD slides 1.8-1.6-1.2. 26% Hispanic. Shares: CCU 20.1, CMLS 18, CBS 16.4, Service Broadcasting 7.5.
6. HOUSTON-GALVESTON. 5,025,800. Two great song titles. CCU on top, again #1 Share & Cume Soft A/C KODA 6.5-7.0-6.4 at 1.92 million.
Radio One ranks 2nd and 5th with Urban A./.C KMJQ 6.2-6.2-6.3 and #5 RymCHR KBXX 5.4-6.0-5.7. Cox Media slips in into 3rd and 4th with Country KKBQ/F 8.4-7.3-6.2 and ClassicHits KGLK/KHPT 5.7-5.7-6.1. Notes: A 60 station market with a 48% subscriber index , 34% Hispanic, 18% Black. Entravision's lone contender is Reg.Mex KLTN 5.1-5.1-4.9. Univision's 4 station Spanish/Mexican cluster totals 6.0, CHR is a shoot-out between CBS KKHH 3.4-3.5-4.1 and CMLS KBRE 3.5 3.5-3.9-4.0. CCU Urban KQBT slips 4.5-4.2-3.7 and CBS bunches up with Hot A/C KMXS 3.6, SpanishHits KLOL 3.5 and Country KILT 3.4. News/Talk finds CCU WTRH 3.3-3.1-3.2 over University of Houston WUHF 2.7-2.7-2.8 and Radio One KROI at a flat .8. Shares: CCU 20.0, CBS 16.1, Cox 14.3, ROI 12.8, Univision 6.0.
8. PHILADELPHIA. 4,493,700. Crowded, competitive 27 subscribers, 19 DNS, 59% index. Consistent #1 is Jerry's Lee's stand-alone A/C WBEB. #1 share 8.0-7.3-6.5, #1 cume 1.55 million. Outstanding example but always must stay a step ahead. Beasley Broadcasting is 2nd with Country WXTU moving close to top spot 5.9-6.4-6.3. CBS Classic Hits WOGL scores #3 6.3-6.8-5.8 and CCU Urban A/C WDAS 4th 5.7-5.3-5.5. Greater Media's cluster is led by their own 5th place tie between Classic Rock WMGX 5.1-5.9-5.4 and Rock WMMR 6.0-5.2-5.4. Greater Media's Adult Hits WBEN grows to a steady 3.8 while Sports WPEN sits at 1.9, behind CBS Sports WIP/F 4.1-3.6-3.2. Radio One combines the growing R&BOldies WRNB 3.8-4.3-5.3 with RhyCHR WPHI 2.1-2.1-2.5 and Gospel WPPZ 2.1. CCU adds ModRock WRFF 4.0-4.4-4.7, Urban WUSL 4.3-4.3-4.2, CHR WIOQ 3.5-3.7-3.7 and RymA/C WISX 3.1-3.2-3.1. Beasley's RymCHR WPHI/F is 2.1-2.1-2.5. CBS wins the News race with KYW 4.0-4.0-4.1 over the WHYY 6 station network (is that a sextocast?) growing 2.6-2.7-2.9. CBS Talk WPHT gains 2.1-2.2-2.5. Shares: CCU 21.3, Greater Media 16.5, CBS 15.6, Beasley 9.1, Jerry Lee 6.5.
9. ATLANTA. 4,322,100. 68 stations, with 43% from 29 subscribers. Cox takes 1/2 of the Top 6, including #1 Share & Cume A/C WSB/F jumping6.0-6.2-7.0and almost 300k out front in Cume with 1.27 million. Cox is 2nd with News/Talk WSB/WSBB-F 7.4-7.0-6.6, 4th ranked Urban A/C WALR 7.0-6.5-6.3 and 6th place ClassicHits WSRV 5.0-5.5-5.8. 3rd place belongs to CBS UrbanContemp. WVEE 6.0-6.5-6.5 while CCU is 5th with Country WUBL 4.9-5.7-6.3. Notes: Salem Christian WFSH slips 5.4-5.2-5.0 while RadioOne slides with UrbanA/C WAMJ/WUMJ 6.0-5.2-4.4, UrbanContemp WHTA 3.9-3.8-3.7 and Gospel WPZE 4.1-3.9-3.5. CMLS has the 2nd Country WKHX 3.9-3.5-3.6, Classic Rock WNNX 1.9-1.6-2.0 and News/Talk WYAY 2.1-1.8-1.9. The winning News format comes from City of Atlanta Board of Ed WABE up 3.1-3.5-3.6. Lincoln Financial offers HotA/C WSTR 3.5-3.7-3.4 and Sports WQXI .4 vs. CBS Sports WAOK WZGC .9. Clark Atlanta U. gets a .9 from Jazz. Ethnic Comp. 34% Black. Shares: Cox 25.7, CCU 15.7, CMLS 1.5, ROI 11.6, CBS 7.7.
#7 WASHINGTON, DC and #10 BOSTON appear at 5 Tuesday PM, August 5.
19. LONG ISLAND. 2.423,700. Summer's a good time to be there. Besides the NYC station splash, locals Cox CHR WBLI 6.7-6.6-5.9 and CCU (soon to be Connoisseur) A/C WALK 6.0-2.8-5.9 tie at #1. WBLI has the Top L.I. cume at 704,800 behind New York City's WHTZ #4 at 5.3 and a 770,500. cume. CBS Sports WFAN is 3rd on the Island 5.4 and NYC sends in CBS News 4.6, CCU Classic Rock WAXQ 3.8, and CBS Classic Hits WCBS/FM 3.7 before local Connoisseur A/C WKJY posts 3.8-3.6-3.4. Notes: Other locals include Cox Classic Rock WBAB 3.6-3.6-3.2 tied with Connoisseur Classic Hits WBZO 3.4-3.2-3.2 and Rock WWSK 2.2-2.0-1.6. In all 57 stations are in the Long Island Nielsen Audio report, 36 subscribe, 21 DNS for 63%. Shares: CCU 26.1 with WALK and 20.2 without, CBS 21.3, Cox 9.1, Connoisseur 8.2 but 14.1 with WALK.
Big markets, big stations, big value from Radio: $6 business dollars back for every $1 Ad Dollar spent! The Great Connector: Wireless, Everywhere and Free. VOTE RADIO. To be continued...…
--Media Advisor Clark Smidtis spending his48th summer in broadcastingassisting confidential clients withContent & Business Development, Branding, Strategy and advanced insights fromResearch Director, Inc, Annapolis, MD. Having worked in Boston management since WBUR/FM & WBZ '71 and as Nor'east Broadcast Advisor starting in '82, Clark arranges and implements mass appeal formats with focus on 35+, Boomers, new business and political advertising. No cost applications add income. Delivery, Start-ups, Turn-arounds and Making Great Stations Even Better. Please visitwww.broadcastideas.comand call Clark at 978 470-2120 email@example.com.
Copyright 2014 Streamline RBR, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Radio and Television Business Report (RBR+TVBR)|
|Date:||Aug 5, 2014|
|Previous Article:||BMI to submit comments in response to DOJ request.|
|Next Article:||Study confirms TV ad awareness eroded by 2nd screen use.|