New interchange has Qatar's highest bridge.
The Umm Beshr Interchange, which is part of the new G-Ring Road project, includes the highest bridge in Qatar at 36m, the Public Works Authority (Ashghal) has said.
Overall, G-Ring Road - which was opened on Saturday by Ashghal - includes eight main interchanges, comprising 29 bridges and 18 underpasses, as well as loops.
The road is expected to ease pressure on Doha's main roads and shorten travel times to the areas it serves, the authority has stressed in a statement. It extends over 22km from Hamad International Airport to the Orbital Highway, and includes five lanes in each direction as well as 48km of pedestrian and cycle lanes.
Ashghal has said the remaining works, which include parts of the eight interchanges, are scheduled for completion by the end of July. The total cost of the project is approximately QR4bn.
The main interchanges are as follows:
* Al Bahya Interchange: A two-level interchange, with the East Industrial Road having the New Industrial Area Road bridge above it, linking the New Industrial Area with the Logistics Village. It provides an additional option to reach the Industrial Area and Logistics Village instead of the currently available option from Salwa Road.
* Bu Sella Interchange: A two-level interchange that comprises East Industrial Road and the West Industrial Road bridge. It connects the New Industrial Area and Logistics Village, and provides an additional option to reach the Industrial Area and Logistics Village.
* Abal Slel Interchange: A two-level interchange, with the East Industrial Road having the East Industrial Street bridge above it. It will enhance connection between the Orbital Highway and Industrial Area, connecting it with HIA, Hamad Port and the Abu Samra border.
* Al Hafeen Interchange: A two-level interchange, with the East Industrial Road having the Al Aziziya Street Extension bridge above it.
* Jary Mosbeh Interchange: A two-level interchange that will enhance connectivity from Al Wakrah and Al Wukair to the northern areas.
* Umm Beshr Interchange: A four-level interchange that includes bridges, underpasses and loops to distribute traffic movement. It enhances connectivity from Al Wakrah and Al Wukair to Al Thumama and the northern areas. It also provides alternative roads to reach HIA without passing through Al Wakrah Main Road, via a future road parallel to Al Wakrah Road. The interchange also includes the highest bridge - 36m - in Qatar.
* Al Thumama Interchange (50): A two-level interchange that enhances connectivity between Al Wakrah, Al Wukair, F-Ring Road, Al Thumama and the Old Airport.
* Airport Interchange (49): A two-level interchange that enhances connectivity between Al Wakrah, Al Wukair, HIA, F-Ring Road, Airport Street, E-Ring Road and the northern areas.
Ashghal said G-Ring Road provides additional transportation options and connects to the Orbital highway by creating a 50km direct road from HIA to Dukhan Road via Salwa Road.
[c] Gulf Times Newspaper 2017 Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Gulf Times (Doha, Qatar)|
|Date:||Apr 24, 2017|
|Previous Article:||Katara's Prize for Prophet's Poet Festival.|
|Next Article:||Minister meets US official.|