New $10 billion Manila international airport eyed.
San Miguel, which owns a stake in flag carrier Philippine Airlines, told the Philippine Stock Exchange in a disclosure that reports of its bid to build the four-runway hub in Manila Bay were "accurate".
Ramon Ang, president and chief operating officer of both San Miguel and Philippine Airlines, raised the proposal during a meeting with Philippine President Benigno Aquino last week, presidential spokesman Herminio Coloma said.
Airlines are frustrated with heavy congestion and other woes at Manila's existing international airport, which has been named the worst in the world for two years running by an online travel guide. The airport was hit by air conditioning failures in sweltering weather last month, just as millions of Filipinos began travelling for the Easter holidays -- forcing Aquino to make a public apology.
Ang made a "brief mention" of the proposal during his meeting with Aquino on Wednesday, Coloma said.
"Like all other proposals on new public infrastructures, this would be referred to appropriate agencies... in order to go through the regular review and vetting process," he added.
San Miguel would build and operate the new airport on a near-800-hectare (2,000-acre) patch of reclaimed land that it already owns in Manila Bay. Ang has spoken previously about his ambition to build a new airport to ease congestion at the current facility.
The airport was built in 1981 to service six million passengers a year, but its terminals handled more than 32 million in 2012, according to the airport authority.
Copyright 2014 Khaleej Times. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Khaleej Times (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)|
|Date:||May 17, 2014|
|Previous Article:||ADIB-Barclays deal in second half of 2014.|
|Next Article:||Prices wade in choppy trade amid Ukraine crisis.|