Printer Friendly

Neighbours speak of shock after fire breaks out at Walker home in Newcastle; Footage showed the ferocity of the flames and a family across the street reacted quickly to help keep everyone safe.

Byline: Mike Fuller

Neighbours have described the "scary" scenes as a fire ripped through a home on their street in Walker.

The blaze gutted the terraced house on Beal Terrace in the east end ofNewcastle.

Video footage shows how the flames were coming out of the front door and ground floor window.

The Sole family, who live across the road, reacted quickly and bravely once they saw the fire had taken hold.

Lorraine Sole, 44, said: "It was my son Callum who spotted it and he rang the fire brigade.

"Him and my husband Les went into the house to see if anybody was upstairs, but it was empty.

"It was quite thick smoke. When they came out they weren't blackened by it but they were seen to by the paramedics."

The drama unfolded shortly before 10pm last Thursday.

Les, 60, and Callum, 22, were the two people who were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. No other injuries have been reported.

Mrs Sole said: "It was pretty scary for myself and my daughter Emma, but our main worry was for the neighbours next door.

"We went to alert them and they were in bed.

"It was lucky as had it been half an hour later we might have been in bed too. At least someone was awake to see it you know.

"The emergency services were fantastic, all of them. The paramedics, the police and the fire they were absolutely brilliant."

See flames and smoke pour from window as firefighters tackle blaze at Walker home

The house has been boarded up byNewcastle City Councilofficers and brickwork at the front has been blackened by smoke.

Olive Reid, 93, has lived on Beal Terrace for around 80 years.

She said: "I was getting ready to have my supper and I just saw the commotion and came out.

"All the people were out in the street. It was only after I came out I could see the flames. They were coming out of the house.

"There was a big new shed in the back garden and that was on fire too.

"It was a shock as I've lived on this road for a long time. It's been a lovely quiet street all that time. We've not had anything like this."

North East news LIVE: Latest breaking news, sport, weather, traffic and travel

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Servicestayed at the scene until about 1am.

Another neighbour, who asked not to be named, also praised emergency services.

She said: "It was definitely a shock. You see things like this happen but you don't expect it to be in your area.

"I was in bed and I just heard banging, I looked out the window and everybody was in the street.

"Almost as soon as the fire service came out they were able to put the fire out. They also went into the homes next door to obviously check if they were damaged."

CAPTION(S):

Credit: Newcastle Chronicle

The aftermath of a house fire on Beal Terrace in the Walker area of Newcastle

COPYRIGHT 2018 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Chronicle (Newscastle upon Tyne, England)
Date:Jun 25, 2018
Words:511
Previous Article:Re-make of Get Carter is under way in Newcastle - how to be part of new film shoot (with a difference); Artist is recreating key scenes from the 1971...
Next Article:Historic Newcastle banquet hall to be turned into drinking and dining courtyard; The Malhotra Group wanted to restore the building but it is now...
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |