Printer Friendly

Neighbour acts after alarm to save man.

A SOUTH Bank neighbour was hailed a hero after firefighters were able to prevent what could have been a serious house fire.

Fire crews were called to Alan Street, in South Bank, just after midnight yesterday, to reports of a smoke alarm being activated.

When the crew arrived, they found the house full of smoke - caused by a pan of food cooking on the hob. The house's occupant was asleep in bed when firefighters arrived.

The alarm was raised by a vigilant neighbour who, after turning off his television set, had heard a smoke alarm from the house next door.

After failing to get a response from the house, the neighbour called the fire service who forced the front door open and were able to deal with the pan before it set alight. They found the man asleep in bed and helped him out of the house.

Grangetown watch manager Chris Coverdale said: "His neighbour probably saved his life."
COPYRIGHT 2009 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Feb 23, 2009
Words:159
Previous Article:Death wreck signs unclear; Tragedy of diver 'may have been avoided'.
Next Article:WORLD TODAY: Jill killing: New claim.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters