Printer Friendly

Need an expert?

Insurance professionals and aspiring professionals have opportunities to increase their knowledge of the industry through classes that might lead to an insurance designation that recognizes expertise.

Professional Designations

ACORD (Association for Cooperative Operations Research and Development)

ACE: ACORD Certified Expert

* For people actively implementing or planning to implement ACORD Standards

AHIP (America's Health Insurance Plans)

DHP: Disability Healthcare Professional

* Expansion of Disability Income Associate program with focus on disability income insurance, and group/individual health insurance

EHBA: Employee Healthcare Benefits Associate

* For benefits professionals who need to know health care trends for employees and retirees

HIA: Health Insurance Associate

* Focuses on marketing, administration and evaluation of various kinds of health insurance

The American College

ChFC: Chartered Financial Consultant

* Subjects include insurance, tax credits, retirement planning, portfolio management and estate administration

CLU: Chartered Life Underwriter

* Focuses on life insurance products, including income replacement, estate planning and wealth transfer

RHU: Registered Health Underwriter

* For people involved in the sale and service of disability income and health insurance

AICPCUIIIA (American Institute for CPCU/Insurance Institute of America)

AAI: Accredited Adviser in Insurance

* Designed for insurance production personnel in any distribution system

API: Associate in Personal Insurance

* Focuses on underwriting, marketing practices, the product development process and portfolio management

ARe: Associate in Reinsurance

* Reinsurance principles and practices, including treaties and facultative certificates

ARC: Associate in Regulation and Compliance

* Students gain a better understanding of the insurance regulatory environment and the effect regulation has on the business of insurance

AU: Associate in Commercial Underwriting

* Program explores resources and options available to commercial underwriters

CPCU: Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter

* Concentration on property/casualty insurance, and commercial or personal risk management

Board of Certified Safety Professionals

CSP: Certified Safety Professional

* For professionals who develop or administer standards to control or reduce hazards and dangerous exposures

Casualty Actuarial Society

ACAS: Associate, Casualty Actuarial Society

* Focus is on strategic, financial and operational risk

Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards

CFP: Certified Financial Planner

* Teaches competent, professional and ethical financial planning

CFA Institute

CFA: Chartered Financial Analyst

* Intended to supplement the education and work experience of investment professionals

Corporation for Long-Term Care Certification Inc.

CLTC: Certified in Long-Term Care

* Issues include home care, assisted living, nursing homes, taxes, law and costs

College for Financial Planning

AAMS: Accredited Asset Management Specialist

* Teaches how to foster client relationships and gather assets under management

CRPC: Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor

* Explores principles including estate planning and asset management

Conference of Consulting Actuaries

ACA: Associate, Conference Of Consulting Actuaries

* Candidates must first hold one of the following designations: ASA, ACAS, MAAA or MSPA

FCA: Fellow, Conference of Consulting Actuaries

* Focuses on strategic, financial and operational risk and the integration of hazard risk

Global Association of Risk Professionals

FRM: Financial Risk Manager

* Two-level program covers risk management, then the measurement and management of market, credit and operational risk

Institute of Business and Finance

BCE: Board Certified in Estate Planning

* This designation indicates knowledge of estate accumulation, preservation and distribution for brokers, advisers and planners. The BCE program is fully accredited.

CAS: Certified Annuity Specialist

* Explores all aspects of fixed-rate and variable annuities

International Claim Association

ALHC: Associate, Life and Health Claims

* Covers life/health insurance, and claims administration, including investigation and cost control techniques

Investment Management Consultants Association

CIMA: Certified Investment Management Analyst

* Focuses on asset allocation, manager search and selection, investment policy and performance measurement

LIMRA (Life Insurance and Market Research Association)

MFA: Master Financial Advisor

* For experienced producers concerned with financial planning

PFA: Professional Financial Advisor

* For second- and third-year producers looking to expand client base and sales

LOMA (Life Office Management Association)

CPFS: Certified Professional in Financial Services

* Promotes professionalism in fields including banking, insurance, securities and financial planning

FLMI: Fellow, Life Management Institute

* Completion of a comprehensive business education program is required

National Alliance for Insurance Education and Research

CIC: Certified Insurance Counselor

* Course content is tailored to particular regions

CISR: Certified Insurance Service Representative

* Studies include commercial casualty exposures, commercial property, personal residential property, personal auto exposures and agency operations

CRM: Certified Risk Manager

* Explores all areas of managing risks, hazards and exposures

National Association of Health Underwriters

DIA: Disability Income Associate

* Focuses on role of disability insurance, with an in-depth look at federal and state government disability programs

NAIFA (National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors)

LUTCF: Life Underwriter Training Council Fellow

* Covers sales training and planning concepts surrounding life insurance products and services.

National Institute of Pension Administrators

APA: Accredited Pension Administrator

* For administrators of retirement and other employee benefit plans

APR: Accredited Pension Representative

* Emphasis is on defined-contribution plans and investment philosophy

Professional Liability Underwriting Society

RPLU: Registered Professional Liability Underwriter

* Covers underwriting, risk management, legal issues, claims review and marketing/sales

RIMS (Risk and Insurance Management Society)

RF: Fellow, Risk and Insurance Management Society

* Teaches how to identify and manage operational, financial, external and other risks

Society of Actuaries

ASA: Associate, Society of Actuaries

* Covers fundamental mathematical concepts and how they are applied

CERA: Chartered Enterprise Risk Analyst

* Prepares candidates for risk-management leadership positions in many organizations

FSA: Fellow, Society of Actuaries

* Focus is on financial risk of life insurance, health programs, retirement system, enterprise risk management or investment specialties
COPYRIGHT 2009 A.M. Best Company, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Resources
Publication:Best's Review
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Nov 1, 2009
Previous Article:10 meetings you don't want to miss.
Next Article:Products & services.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters