Printer Friendly

NOW AND THEN; From fields to post-war suburbia.

THE road which runs across the lower part of both of our Then and Now pictures is the oddly-named Harp Inge.

The picture above was taken in winter, 1948 and the one below was taken this week so a stretch of the imagination is required to work out how things were and how they developed.

The estate linked by Barnby Royd and Holays was in the process of being built, in a spurt of post-war energy that was taking place all over the country, reviving the building industry and laying its modern foundations.

In the background of the top picture is Dalton Working Men's Club, but the angle of the lower picture obscures this landmark.

The location key in these two pictures is the cluster of buildings in the centre of the 1948 picture above, and to the left of the modern picture.

The wasteland in the foreground is clearly a demolition site, implying that the land at the corner of Harp Inge and Barnby Royd was built on after 1948. Is this clearance preparation for further building?

CAPTION(S):

A START: Building in progress at Harp Inge, Dalton In May, 1948. (48-3591); CHANGES: Looking from Harp Inge towards Holays today (PW190608Hholays-01)
COPYRIGHT 2008 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Jun 24, 2008
Words:202
Previous Article:Modern style of school; all our yesterdays DALTON in 1954.
Next Article:Play time.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |