NLC and ICMA conducting nationwide emergency management training program for local officials.
Funded by the Department of Homeland Security, the program is intended to educate local leaders about their roles in emergency management and support the National Preparedness Goal of meeting specific national priorities of expanded regional collaboration, strengthening information sharing and collaboration, and interoperability communications during and after a disaster.
Local officials who are interested in attending this two-day NLC-sponsored training program in emergency management must have taken the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)'s IS 100.a and IS 700.a courses and be familiar with their respective local emergency operations plans. The IS 100.a is an online course that can be found on FEMA's website at http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/IS100a.asp. The IS 700.a introduces and overviews . the National Incident Management System and can be accessed at http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is700a.asp.
By taking the NLC-sponsored training course, credit can be earned toward the following programs:
* FEMA's Preparedness Certification Program (www.fema.gov);
* NLC's Leadership Training Institute Program (cam 3 credits) (www.nlc.org); and
* ICMA's Credentialing Program (practice areas 2 and 3) (www.icma.org).
The training program will be offered both this year and next year on the dates below at the following locations.
* September 21-22: Bar Harbor Regency Hotel, Bar Harbor, Maine
* September 28-29: Crowne Plaza Worcester Downtown, Worcester, Mass.
* October 9-10: Sheraton Music City Hotel, Nashville, Tenn.
* October 12-13: Hilton Garden Inn Historic Downtown, Savannah, Ga.
* October 16-17: The Westin Tampa Bay, Tampa, Fla.
* November 16-17: Embassy Suites, Laredo, Texas
* November 20-21: MCM Elegante Suites, Abilene, Texas
* December 11-12: Hilton Garden Inn Lafayette/ Cajundome, Lafayette, La.
* December 15-16: Cabot Lodge Millsaps, Jackson, Miss. 2010 Dates
* May 7-8: Sheraton Sioux Falls Hotel, Sioux Falls, S.D.
* May 10-11: Radisson Hotel, Bismarck, N.D.
* May 14-15: Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown, Minneapolis
NLC will be working with the appropriate state leagues to publicize these program dates and locations.
Details: To ask questions about the emergency management training program, contact Jim Weed, NLC's director of homeland security and emergency management (weed@ nlc.org or 202-626-3051), or Lorraine Gloster, NLC's DHS grant program coordinator (email@example.com or 202-626-3190).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||International City Management Association; National League of Cities|
|Author:||Gloster, Lorraine; Jones, Cherie Duvall|
|Publication:||Nation's Cities Weekly|
|Date:||Sep 21, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Leadership summit shows the path to better leadership is just one leap away.|
|Next Article:||What is your role in making your community healthier?|