- Working groups will recommence their work immediately after the end of the mid-term session and the entire conference will be off between July 25 and August 16 for the end of Ramadan and Eid Al-Fitr break.
- The consensus committee will create principles for creating the constitutional drafting committee which is scheduled to be created in August. The constitutional drafting committee will take the outcomes of all the working groups and turn them into legal articles to be included in the new constitution of Yemen.
- Over 130 participants of the NDC--including the presidium and members of the consensus committee such as Nobel Peace Prize winner Tawakkul Karman--signed a letter dedicated to the U.S. Congress demanding the senate to drop House Resolution 1960 that prevents Yemeni detainees in Guantanamo from returning to Yemen until the end of 2014.
- The general assembly was enraged by the consensus committee's changing the wording of one article of the Transitional Justice and National Reconciliation report. This is a breach to internal charter and the general assembly threatened to raise a case against the consensus committee at the Standards and Order body demanding a disciplining action.
- A recent survey by the NDC Secretariat and Save the Children indicated that 57 percent of Yemenis trust that the National Dialogue will solve Yemen's problems. Around one third of the respondents to the survey, mostly men, think of agreement when they hear the word National Dialogue and very few think of power sharing, modern state, security or even federation.
- Professor Ehtisham Ahmad, from the World Bank, talked to the NDC on Monday about the concerns they should have and issues to keep in mind financially and administratively at the NDC. He related experiences of other countries and promoted a decentralized approach to sharing of power and wealth.
- In cooperation with the NDC Secretariat, YALI institute last week concluded a three week creative writing competition in English on the theme "I have a dream for Yemen," among other activities.
- A photo exhibition has been on display at the conference venue since the start of the mid-term assembly showing inspirational pictures from inside and outside the conference on the theme of National Dialogue and the future.
Copyright Yemen Times. All rights reserved.
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company