NASSCO Convention held in Tucson.
Executive Director Irv Gemora and outgoing President Keith Alexander, Visu-Sewer, had prepared a busy line-up of business sessions, committee and guest speakers. They reported to the membership that NASSCO's fiscal status is stronger than it has been in many years.
The following was cited as among the 2003 accomplishments of NASSCO:
* Expanded acceptance of the Pipeline Assessment and Certification Program;
* Relocation of headquarters to Baltimore;
* Completion of SG-11;
* Ongoing development of performance specifications;
* Successful participation in the RehabZone at UCT;
* Continued emphasis on members services;
* Expanded website;
* International Pipe Bursting Association completed an industry standard specification; and
* NASSCO's membership continues to grow (262 at the time of the convention with several new members pending).
Elected as the new president, Dave Fletcher of Applied Felts, told attendees that "as a vendor, it is an honor to be elected president--but this will always be a contractors organization.
"A lot has changed since I first joined NASSCO 10 or 12 years ago. All these changes have enabled NASSCO to move forward. Today, the association is in a position to take off and do even more for the industry," Fletcher stressed.
"I'm going to do everything I can to gel everybody involved and make a commitment to help take NASSCO to the next level."
One of the highlights of the convention was the annual NASSCO auction which raised $17,000.
Gemora emphasized to attendees that NASSCO will not be on cruise control in 2004. Rather, the association has developed aggressive goals for the year:
* Continue to improve member services;
* Update NASSCO publications;
* Improve relationships with industry organizations;
* Continue membership growth;
* Evolve PACP and improve value to the industry and NASSCO;
* Expand PACP certified software vendors;
* Grow PACP to include manhole and lateral defect coding; and
* Complete performance specifications.
Other 2004-2005 NASSCO officers are: Vice-President Gerry Muenchmeyer, Raven Lining Systems; Secretary Bill Shook, AP/M Permaform; and Treasurer Rod Thornhill, White Rock Consultants.
The new NASSCO Board of Directors includes: Jody Anderson, Equitas Sewer Service; Ed Kampbell, In finer Technologies; Mike Hogan, Duke's Root Control; Mike Poplawski, New England Pipe Cleaning Co.; Grant Whittle, Ultraliner; Marc Anctil, American Logiball; Fred Chase, Lametti & Sons; Robert Garrison, Miller Pipeline Corporation; Keith Alexander, Visu- Sewer Clean & Seal; and Steve Mortensen, Project Engineering Consultants.