Printer Friendly

Mystery of how man died in sea.

MYSTERY still surrounds the death of a man whose decomposed body was found in the sea off Bangor.

Martin Francis Igoe, 63, of Princes Road, Bangor, was reported missing on March 2 last year but his body wasn't found until April 22 at Porth Penrhyn, Bangor.

An inquest at Caernarfon heard that his body was so badly decomposed that he was identified by DNA.

Ysbyty Gwynedd pathologist Dr Mark Lord said: "The cause of death remains unascertained."

There was minor quantities of alcohol in his body but no evidence of any drugs. North West Wales deputy coroner Nicola Jones said Mr Igoe's friends became worried and contacted police.

Mrs Jones said labourer Mr Igoe had been a victim of fraud and was to have been a witness in a pending court case and was said to be anxious about it.

On Tuesday, April 22, John Arthur Jones, of Maes Barcer, Caernarfon and two friends were winkle picking on the mudflats near Bangor when they found the body on slates near the high water mark and called the police.

Mrs Jones said: "There's no indication as to how or where Mr Igoe entered the water. We don't know whether he fell in or whether he was pushed or entered of his own free will. Police have looked into foul play. We can't discount anything."

Recording an open verdict, Mrs Jones said a new inquest would be opened if new evidence came to light.
COPYRIGHT 2011 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Jan 25, 2011
Words:242
Previous Article:University appoints language champion.
Next Article:'Let's have another quickie before we go to work' WHAT COUNCIL CHIEF ALLEGEDLY TOLD WOMAN MORNING AFTER HE'S ACCUSED OF RAPING HER.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters