Musselburgh on brink of losing meeting as row intensifies.
Byline: David Carr
TROUBLED Musselburgh racecourse looks odds-on to lose its next meeting after it emerged the governing committee would not consider the BHA's demands to submit to an independent review until after the deadline to act passed.
the latest twist in an ongoing row between two factions of the Musselburgh Joint racing Committee, which runs the course, led to the local councillor who sits as chairman being accused of "playing with people's livelihoods".
the track's temporary licence expired last week after the MJRC failed to give undertakings to the BHA to hold a governance review, meaning the racecourse is not permitted to stage racing. a new licence will only be granted for the next fixture, scheduled for a week on Friday, if the MJRC agrees to a review by 5pm tomorrow.
East lothian council leader Willie innes, one of four councillors on the seven-seat MJRC and chairman of the course, has said he will convene a meeting to consider the ultimatum next tuesday - five days after the deadline, almost certainly meaning the loss of the July 14 fixture.
innes stressed he was acting "to secure the future of racing at Musselburgh" and said in a statement: "Since the last meeting of the MJRC, the BHA has proposed a conditional, temporary VVCONTINUES page 4
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Racing Post (London, England)|
|Date:||Jul 5, 2017|
|Previous Article:||Fired-up Eminent puts rider in hospital with broken hip.|
|Next Article:||Eclipse cash arrives for Cliffs with O'Brien hopeful trip will suit; Derby runner-up best backed for the Eclipse.|