Printer Friendly

Munch on my mint mothballs!

Eleven people were taken to hospital after a woman handed around mothballs thinking they were mints.

The woman, who attends a unit for senile dementia sufferers, had intended the mothballs for her clothes and put them in her pocket.

But she forgot what they were there and passed them around at the Samuel Boyce Unit at Cumberland Road Day Centre in Newham, London.

A staff member raised the alarm and the old folk, mostly in their eighties, spent the night at Newham General Hospital.

A hospital spokesman said: "We believe only three had eaten the mothballs, but decided to let nature take its course rather than distress them by pumping their stomachs."
COPYRIGHT 1997 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1997 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Sunday Mirror (London, England)
Date:Nov 9, 1997
Words:112
Previous Article:I hate boxing, says Bruno; Now I want a new career as a DJ...know what I mean, 'Arry?
Next Article:pounds 1m victory in bid to beat meningitis.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters