Printer Friendly

Mum tells of how BBQ fire led to month in a coma.

Byline: KATHY ARMSTRONG

A BRAVE Irish mum has revealed how an accident at a BBQ left her badly burnt.

Joanne McMahon was celebrating her niece's Confirmation Day in Limerick in 2014 when she was engulfed in flames.

Joanne, who is from Castlemahon, said of the terrifying incident: "It was the Friday of the June weekend and my niece had her confirmation.

"That afternoon we were out at their house for a BBQ and we had a small little Bain Marie I had used to keep the food warm and underneath is a tiny little container you put methylated spirits into and light it.

FLAMES "Because it was strong sunshine I didn't realise it had been lit and I didn't see the flame.

"So I poured methylated spirits into the flame in the tiny little container and it ignited as I was leaning over it."

Joanne - a qualified nurse - spent a month in an induced coma following her ordeal and had to relearn how to walk and swallow.

The mum-of-five's story is featured in Keeping Ireland Alive tomorrow night and she said it has been difficult to come to terms with her scars.

She added: "I had 12 months where I didn't go near any cameras and then the last 12 months I gradually got back into it again." |Keeping Ireland Alive is on RTE One at 10pm.

CAPTION(S):

ORDEAL Joanne McMahon

COPYRIGHT 2016 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Sunday Mirror (London, England)
Date:Sep 4, 2016
Words:232
Previous Article:LEWIS HUNTING HIS HALF A TON.
Next Article:Walk on the wild side.. Feline fashion from catwalk; Style on Sunday.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters