Printer Friendly

Motorist crashes into police vehicle after being pelted with firebombs.

A MOTORIST accidentally crashed into a police car when she feared for her life after a group of rioters pelted her vehicle with Molotov cocktails, a court heard.

The 30-year-old Bahraini crashed her Toyota into a police patrol vehicle in Sharakan after teenagers pelted motorists with firebombs and metal rods, having blocked a street with debris, in January.

Two Bahrainis, aged 15 and 19, are standing trial at the High Criminal Court in connection with rioting, possessing Molotov cocktails and putting motorists' lives at risk.

The woman described how she feared she could have been killed had the firebombs landed on her.

"I was driving in Sharakan when a group of masked people started waving at motorists to stop their vehicles," she said in her statement to prosecutors.

"I was afraid and did not know what to do and thought that they were going to kill me.

"They started pelting my vehicle with firebombs and I tried to escape when I crashed into a police car.

"Some officers chased the masked rioters on foot while others rushed to help me.

"They called for an ambulance and I was taken to Salmaniya Medical Complex but only suffered minor injuries.

"However, the front portion of my vehicle was damaged."

A policeman described how he managed to arrest two of the masked assailants.

"We received information about rioters blocking a street with debris before we were dispatched to deal with them," the 34-year-old told prosecutors.

"We saw the masked rioters pelting motorists with firebombs and metal rods.

"One of the civilian vehicles crashed into us. I chased the rioters on foot and arrested two."

A 19-year-old Bahraini, who confessed to the charges during questioning, said he received a message on his mobile phone urging him to join the attack.

"I was sitting at home when I received a message on my phone about blocking a highway and pelting motorists with firebombs," he said in his statement.

"I met two of my friends and we wore masks and headed to Sharakan.

"A policeman chased us and arrested my friend and me."

The trial was adjourned until May 16.

[c] Copyright 2017

Copyright 2017 Al Hilal Publishing and Marketing Group Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( ).

COPYRIGHT 2017 SyndiGate Media Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2017 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Gulf Daily News (Manama, Bahrain)
Date:Apr 23, 2017
Previous Article:Repairs urged after mosque blaze.
Next Article:Fee exemption for charities.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters