Printer Friendly

Mother tells of car blaze horror.

A MOTHER has described how she and her 12-year-old daughter were forced to jump from a burning vehicle following a Molotov cocktail attack.

The 46-year-old Bahraini was on her way home when a group of rioters attacked policemen stationed in Sitra on October 15 last year, according to court documents.

She told the court that a stray Molotov cocktail had entered her Mitsubishi Outlander, setting it alight and causing her to crash into a cement barrier.

Both mother and daughter had only seconds to escape the vehicle before it was engulfed in flames.

"We were driving back home when we saw a group of masked rioters attack policemen with firebombs, stones and metal rods," she said in her statement to prosecutors.

"Suddenly, a Molotov cocktail smashed through the window and landed on the dashboard.

"I started screaming because I did not know how to stop the vehicle and my daughter started screaming too because we did not know what to do.

"I told her that she had to jump out, but I could not stop the car.

"We were swerving and then we crashed into a barrier."

The mother said she had been knocked unconscious momentarily by the force of the impact.

"When I woke up I realised that my clothes were on fire and I yelled at my daughter telling her to get out," she

said.

"We both managed to leave the vehicle moments before it turned into a fireball.

"We were then taken into an ambulance and received medical treatment."

A group of 11 men, all Bahrainis, appeared at the High Criminal Court yesterday to deny charges of arson, possessing Molotov cocktails and participating in an illegal gathering.

However, one of the alleged arsonists earlier told prosecutors that he had panicked when the civilian car caught fire and fled on foot.

"I got a message on my BlackBerry phone about an attack on policemen in Sitra that I agreed to join," the 17-year-old said in his statement to prosecutors.

"I prepared the Molotov cocktails and we met in the agreed location in Sitra.

"I hurled only one firebomb at the police before I noticed that a motorist's car had caught fire and I then ran away into the village."

Pictures of the vehicle engulfed in flames were attached to court documents as evidence.

The trial was adjourned until June 23 for review.

noorz@gdn.com.bh

Copyright 2015 Al Hilal Publishing and Marketing Group Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).

COPYRIGHT 2015 SyndiGate Media Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Gulf Daily News (Manama, Bahrain)
Date:May 20, 2015
Words:413
Previous Article:ATM arson case suspects refuse to attend court.
Next Article:Kidnappers jailed for three years.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters