Printer Friendly

More cases brought against Larnaca doctor.

Author:

Alexis Pantelides

POLICE said yesterday that they were investigating 36 other cases against the 56-year-old gynaecologist who was arrested last Thursday in connection with allegations of drugging and sexually assaulting a 26-year-old patient.

Police chief, Michalis Papageorgiou said that although police had acquired evidence for 36 new cases, the necessary testimonies had still not been taken and stressed the need for discreetness in the matter.

"We have acquired a lot of extra evidence since the initial complaint and the possibility that other cases against the doctor might reach the surface cannot be ruled out," said Papageorgiou.

A 26-year-old woman told police last Thursday that she woke up during 'surgery' at the gynaecologist's clinic in Larnaca, and discovered that she had been tied up. The doctor, who was naked, was holding her hand over his penis.

After the complaint was made public, a second woman, aged 25, also came forward to the police.

At a court hearing last week, police said a police investigation at the doctor's clinic revealed naked pictures of the 26-year-old on the doctor's camera, while approximately 150 pictures of other naked women were found on his computer.

It was later revealed that a previous complaint against the same doctor was made 18 months ago, but had not been pursued further due to lack of evidence.

The police chief said that the doctor could face charges of rape, drugging with intent of committing a crime, or even sexual assault of seniors or even minors, but only after the necessary testimonies were taken.

Pressure has been mounting on police to reveal the doctor's name, with several members of the public and even the head of the Obstetrics and Gynaecology Society, Marios Liasides stressing the need to name the doctor.

Police have clarified that the name of the doctor can only be made public once he is officially charged.

The gynaecologist is set to appear in court today, where police will request a new remand order.

Copyright Cyprus Mail 2011

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
COPYRIGHT 2011 Al Bawaba (Middle East) Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Cyprus Mail (Cyprus)
Date:Nov 1, 2011
Words:339
Previous Article:A racy backdrop to the talks.
Next Article:Defiant Kassinis refuses to be silenced.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters