Printer Friendly

More calls to ban 'miaow miaow'.

PRESSURE was growing today to ban mephedrone after it emerged a 46-year-old man had become the sixth Briton to die after using it.

Police confirmed yesterday that John Sterling Smith suffered a fatal heart attack as a result of mephedrone poisoning at his home in Hove, East Sussex, last month.

The announcement came days after two teenage friends died hours after taking the controversial plant fertiliser, commonly known as 'miaow miaow', during a night out on Sunday.

Louis Wainwright, 18, and his friend Nicholas Smith, 19, were found dead in their beds in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, by their parents on Monday afternoon. But Harriet Harman yesterday refused to outlaw the killer substance until an experts' report had been compiled.

The Commons leader agreed it was "extremely dangerous" - but sparked fury by insisting on waiting for official documentation before banning it.

Meanwhile the Tories insisted all "legal high" drugs should be banned until their risks are assessed.

Shadow Commons leader Sir George Young said the deaths "heightened the need to react more quickly".

In Scotland, police were today investigating the death of a teenager who fell ill after a night out.

Jordan Kiltie, 19, from Ayr, was taken to hospital on Sunday morning but declared dead on arrival. It is thought he may have taken a number of substances.

Police said they could not comment on reports that the cocktail may have been linked to mephedrone.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Mar 19, 2010
Previous Article:Sorry pictures of drugs craze; Videos are disturbing.
Next Article:Effects of substance.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters