Printer Friendly

Monthly award winners.

Pilot Safety Award of Distinction

First Lieutenant Peter Henrikson was the red air F-16 on a flight lead upgrade ride with weather solid from 5,000 to 20,000 feet Mean Sea Level (MSL). While holding at 25,000 feet MSL, he noticed his altitude and airspeed information had disappeared from the heads up display. Shortly after that, his inertial navigation system quit working. After unsuccessfully resetting his Flight Control System (FLCS), 1Lt Henrikson noticed a FLCS warning light on his panel. Realizing the severity of the multiple malfunctions, his flight lead declared an emergency for the flight and began a descent through the weather towards Hill AFB, Utah. While attempting to maintain position on his flight lead's wing, 1Lt Henrikson noticed his speed brakes had also failed. Once below the weather, 1Lt Henrikson attempted to configure his jet for landing, but the landing gear handle would not lower. After going through the checklist, he was able to successfully lower the gear handle. He did not, however, get the three green lights in the c ockpit that indicate all three gears were down and locked. While on final approach, he noticed the airplane was not handling normally at final approach speeds. He then saw his leading edge flaps were not extending at all, causing the airplane to buffet on final. 1Lt Henrikson instinctively attempted to extend the flaps manually, however the flaps were completely inoperative. He immediately pushed the power up slightly realizing a significant increase in speed would be required with no leading edge flaps. Despite all these failures, 1Lt Henrikson executed a flawless approach and landing. Once the airplane was at a safe speed, he attempted to engage the nose wheel steering and realized it had also failed. Using only his brakes to steer the aircraft, he was able to stop the aircraft on the runway. 1Lt Henrikson's superior situational awareness and outstanding airmanship prevented the loss of a valuable aircraft.

Ground Safety Award of Distinction

20th Intelligence Squadron

480th Intelligence Group

Offutt AEB, Neb.

Recently, members of the 20th Intelligence Squadron at Offutt AFB, Neb., faced an extremely hazardous situation when they exited their facility. The main entrance opened directly onto a street frequented by large trucks and vehicles. The door actually hung over the street when opened. To compound the problem, vehicles parked directly across from the main entrance, forcing traffic to drive within inches of hitting the door. The squadron immediately recognized the danger to pedestrians leaving the building and submitted a USAF Hazard Report. In response, the base placed two bright yellow 6-foot stanchions at the entrance and painted no parking stripes within 50 feet of the entrance. These actions greatly reduced the hazards for the 82 squadron personnel and numerous visitors that need to access the building.

ACC Safety is Proud of All Our Award Nominees

Lt Col Martin M. Little

186th Fighter Squadron Commander

120th Fighter Wing

Great Falls IAP, Mont.

Capt Frank J. Lobash, Pilot

1Lt Shane R. Smith

Weapons System Officer

335th Fighter Squadron

4th Fighter Wing

Seymour Johnson, AFB, N.C.

Capt Sean Williams, Aircraft Commander

1Lt William Wallace, Navigator

MSgt Steve Grossett, Flight Engineer

1Lt Jason Rubenstein, Copilot

Maj William Tully, Eval Navigator

Capt Keith Udcoff, Instructor Navigator

965th Airborne Air Control Squadron

552nd Air Control Wing

Tinker AFB, Okla.

SrA Daniel Carroll, HC-130 Loadmaster

71st Rescue Squadron

347th Rescue Wing

Moody AEB, Ga.

SSgt John C. Palmer

SSgt Edward R. Genoit

SrA Ethan J. Hayes

A1C Joseph W. Skinner

Dedicated Crew Chiefs

421st Fighter Squadron

388th Fighter Wing

Hill AFB, Utah

Aircrew Safety Award of Distinction

After completing their operational mission, the B-1 crew began the 6-hour cruise back to the forward operating location. They rendezvoused with a KC-10 for post-strike air refueling. After establishing normal contact, the boom was unable to latch onto the air-refueling receptacle and fuel began streaming heavily over the windshield. Cockpit visibility was severely restricted by the leaking fuel. After both aircraft recycled their systems, the B-1 still could not latch onto the boom and the fuel leak became increasingly severe. Since the crew did not have enough fuel to return to the deployed location, they opted to divert to Masirah Air Base, Oman, expecting to land with minimum fuel. The offensive systems officer, Capt George Holland, quickly plotted the shortest course, reviewing airspace and landing base restrictions. The defensive systems officer, Capt Linda Vadnais, confirmed the pilot's fuel calculations and assisted in running the emergency divert checklists. Because fuel continued to leak from the rec eptacle and the winds were stronger than forecasted, the crew arrived with 4,000 pounds less fuel than planned. The low fuel state was compounded by a forward bay filled with over 16,000 pounds of bombs that required part of the fuel to be used for ballast to maintain proper center of gravity. While configuring the aircraft for landing, the crew discovered that they were unable to lower the flaps and slats. The instructor pilot, Maj James Egbert, continued to fly the aircraft and prepared for a highspeed, no-flap/no-slat landing while the aircraft commander; Capt Bridget McNamara, ran the emergency checklists. The low fuel state meant that the crew had one opportunity to make the landing. This was further complicated by the fact that Masirah's runway is the minimum length and width for normal B-1 operations. They landed within calculated touchdown parameters and immediately applied maximum brakes. The high touchdown speed necessary for a no-flap/no-slat landing and a runway surface that undulated for the last 5,000 feet made braking action and directional control extremely difficult. The crew's sound decision-making and quick reactions to a multiple emergency situation brought the aircraft to a safe stop within 100 feet of the end of the runway.

Crew Chief Safety Award of Distinction

On March 21, 2002, while performing aircraft recovery assist duties at a temporary duty location in support of Operation NOBLE EAGLE, SrA John Moore heard a loud "bang" from an adjacent row of aircraft. Looking across the flightline, he saw smoke billowing from the jet fuel starter area underneath a host unit F-15C. He immediately dashed across the ramp to assess the situation and without hesitation told the positioned crew chief to have the pilot shut down his engines right away. SrA Moore grabbed the HALON fire extinguisher and promptly put out the flames. Parked directly across from the incident aircraft were 10 F-15C aircraft fully loaded with live munitions. SrA Moore's quick thinking and decisive actions averted a full-scale response and evacuation of the area and were directly responsible for preserving a national asset valued in excess of $30 million.
COPYRIGHT 2002 U.S. Department of the Air Force
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2002 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Combat Edge
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Sep 1, 2002
Previous Article:Who me an investigating officer?
Next Article:Explosive Safety Standards.

Related Articles
Monthly award winners.
Monthly Award winners.
Weapons safety. (Monthly Award Winners).
GOLF: Fredrik Jacobson.
Weapons safety: award of distinction.
Ground Safety Award of Distinction.
Football: MAYO STAR PRESS GONG; NFL SEMI-FINAL: Mayo v Galway, Croke Park, tomorrow.
Football: MAYO STAR PRESS GONG; NFL SEMI-FINAL Mayo v Galway, Croke Park, tomorrow.
Tribe star honoured.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters