Printer Friendly

Money talk.


So you want the simple life--just four walls and a roof over your head. That's why you've moved into an apartment or a condominium. No problems, you say, and there's insurance on the building--the owner of the apartments or the condominium owners' association has a policy on the building, and you are covered.

Maybe so; maybe not. The standard building policy probably covers the structure and the public or common areas. This coverage means that if the building burns, your part will be rebuilt, but what is in your part will not be replaced. The building policy will cover the liability for a visitor who trips in the lobby, but you may be liable if the guest trips in your entry hall. And the building policy may pay to replace the window the burglar broke--but not the silverware he carried out of your dining room.

Read the building policy carefully to learn what is covered and what is not. Better yet, have a lawyer or an insurance agent read the policy. Then get your own personal insurance to protect what is unprotected.

You will probably need liability insurance to cover the costs--actual and retributive--of mishaps that injure your guests and visitors. You should have liability coverage of at least $100,000 for medical expenses and other damages that might come from accidents. If juries are generous with damage suits in your area, you might want liability coverage of $300,000 or more. Catastrophic-coverage policies may cover damages in excess of the limits on your other policies. Ask about them.

Next, you will need insurance to cover your possessions. The standard policy covers the "actual cash value' of whatever was lost, stolen or destroyed. This term means the insurance company will give you what the thing was worth when you last had it--not what you paid when you bought it or what you will have to pay to replace it. After five years of use and a cigarette burn on one of the cushions, your $2,000 sofa may have a cash value of only $350. So obtain a policy that will cover the replacement costs of your clothing, furniture and other personal possessions. The preminums for this coverage may run perhaps 40 percent higher than the premiums for a policy that pays only the actual cash value of your possessions.

Industry estimates say about $25,000 would be needed to replace the personal property inside an average two-bedroom apartment. If you consider the cost of a total loss in your apartment or condominum, you'll probably pay the higher premiums for replacement-cost coverage and be grateful for the comfort of the protection --but you will need some proof you owned what you said you owned and paid what you said you paid for the lost, stolen or destroyed property.

The insurance industry advises that we inventory all we own in detail, and that we support the inventory with receipts, canceled checks or some other evidence of original prices or values.

Next you will need insurance that specifically and particularly covers items of special and extraordinary value--jewelry, antiques, silverware or stamp or coin collections. Unless these extraordinary possessions are specifically mentioned and insured in your policy, you will probably recover only a fraction of their true value.

The remedy for the loss of special possessions is to attach "floaters' to your policy that provide full coverage for individually identified items. The costs for these floaters are very low, and they do give the coverage you want for particularly valued and valuable items. Good documentation--receipts or written appraisals--supports any claims you might someday be forced to file.

Another cautionary note: If you live in a condominium, read the building policy with special attention to see if it covers cabinets, paneling, built-in appliances and other permanent, paid-for improvements to the structure. If the building policy does not cover these items, your own policy should. Your policy should cover whatever the building policy does not, without gaps or overlaps. So make your agent and your company earn their premiums.

Most of the standard insurance programs written for those who choose the simple life of apartments or condominiums provide certain additional coverages as standard features. They will pay for the property you damage when you visit neighbors, for property stolen or destroyed while you are traveling and for your living costs if you have to leave home after a loss while insurance is paying for repairs and redecorating.

All this coverage costs money-- premiums, as money is euphemistically described by the industry. You can lower your premiums by raising your deductibles. Most policies will require you, as a standard feature, to pay the first $100--the deductible--on any claim, as a way of eliminating petty claims for every broken dish and gravy stain on the carpet. If you decide that insurance is only meant to cover large, catastrophic losses and raise the deductible to $500, you might save ten percent on premiums.

Ask about companies and policies that offer lower premiums to people who do not smoke or do not drink, who install smoke detectors and deadbolts or who otherwise act to lower the risks for themselves and their insurance companies.

Four walls and a roof over your head in an apartment or a condominium may not be quite as simple as it seems, but insurance will cover the risks of the complexities. And you still won't have to cut the grass.
COPYRIGHT 1985 Saturday Evening Post Society
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1985 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:apartment or condominium insurance
Author:Ullmann, H.J.
Publication:Saturday Evening Post
Article Type:column
Date:Mar 1, 1985
Previous Article:An agenda for public action.
Next Article:Smoothing the tax road.

Related Articles
Complications in foreclosing a condo unit.
Malkin, Rose join for major purchase.
In rem woes hitting new sectors.
Subprime muddle threatens city.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters