Memphis International Airport, air cargo, and the global economy.
* In 2006, over 3.5 million metric tons were shipped through the Memphis International Airport.
* The FedEx Worldwide Headquarters and World Hub employ 40,000 people from the Memphis area.
* 2 million packages are sorted nightly at the FedEx World Hub by 12,000 employees.
* 200 aircraft at FedEx provide next-day delivery to North America and 48-hour delivery to global destinations.
* UPS's third largest U.S. cargo facility is located in Memphis, and is the carrier's only facility that is capable of processing both air and ground cargo.
* DHL also has one of its regional facilities located in Memphis.
* According to the Memphis Shelby County Airport Authority, 10,853,934 passengers traveled through Memphis International Airport in 2006.
* A 2005 impact study by Sparks Bureau of Business and Economic Research at the University of Memphis states that the Memphis International Airport has a $20.7 billion impact on the local economy.
* In 2004, the Memphis International Airport generated 166,000 jobs, 27% of the MSA's total employment.
Text and Maps by Ryan B. Hanson, GIS Services Programmer, Center for Real Estate Research, Sparks Bureau of Business and Economic Research, The University of Memphis
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Author:||Hanson, Ryan B.|
|Date:||Jun 22, 2007|
|Previous Article:||Thank you, Shirley! On June 30, 2007, after 42 years of dedicated service, Shirley Stanphill, the Sparks Bureau of Business and Economic Research's...|
|Next Article:||National & regional economies.|